Kintail/Cluanie

Leonard Trim

Guest
Stayed in the Kintail Outdoor Centre at the weekend. Highly
recommended. Saturday started fine. Went up to the wee
bridge where the Bealach na Sroine path leaves the forest
and then headed up to the summit of A'Ghlas bheinn. There
for 10.30 in shirt sleeves, but we could see the bad weather
coming in. By the time we got to the Bealach an Sgairne it
was chucking it down and as we did not like the look of the
very steep, wet route directly up onto Meall a Bhealaich we
dropped west down the path until we picked up the stalkers
path into Coire an Sgairne and then made our way over to the
summit of Beinn Fhada. Soaked we made our way back to the
Kintail Outdoor Centre. Thank goodness for hot fires, drying
rooms and micro waves not to mention a good bottle of wine.
On Sunday the weather was much nicer. Five of us did Carn
Ghlusaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Sail Chaorain at the
eastern end of Loch Cluanie in five hours and then went home
to Fife in time for tea. Five Munros, four of them new ones
on the 'to do ' list. A good weekend.

Munros 241/284
PS Midges out, but only a few so far. Expecting full
battalion strength in Glen Affric in a fortnight.

--
Len Trim [email protected]

"Leonard Trim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stayed in the Kintail Outdoor Centre at the weekend.
> Highly
recommended.
> Saturday started fine. Went up to the wee bridge where
> the Bealach
na
> Sroine path leaves the forest and then headed up to the
> summit of A'Ghlas bheinn. There for 10.30 in shirt
> sleeves, but we could see
the
> bad weather coming in. By the time we got to the Bealach
> an Sgairne
it
> was chucking it down and as we did not like the look of
> the very
steep,
> wet route directly up onto Meall a Bhealaich we dropped
> west down
the
> path until we picked up the stalkers path into Coire an
> Sgairne and
then
> made our way over to the summit of Beinn Fhada. Soaked we
> made our
way
> back to the Kintail Outdoor Centre.
Beinn Fhada was my wettest ever mountain taking 4 attempts
to ascend it at various times and calling off for a variety
of reasons. A great area to walk on. Not too many Munro's to
go now Len 1

Cheers Graham

>Thank goodness for hot fires, drying rooms and micro waves
>not to mention a good bottle of wine. On Sunday the
>weather was much nicer. Five of us did Carn Ghlusaid,
>Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Sail Chaorain at the eastern end
>of Loch Cluanie in five hours and then went home to Fife
>in time for tea.
Five
> Munros, four of them new ones on the 'to do ' list. A good
> weekend.
>
> Munros 241/284
> PS Midges out, but only a few so far. Expecting full
> battalion
strength
> in Glen Affric in a fortnight.
>
> --
> Len Trim [email protected]

In message <[email protected]>, Leonard Trim
<[email protected]> writes
>Stayed in the Kintail Outdoor Centre at the weekend. Highly
>recommended. Saturday started fine. Went up to the wee
>bridge where the Bealach na Sroine path leaves the forest
>and then headed up to the summit of A'Ghlas bheinn. There
>for 10.30 in shirt sleeves, but we could see the bad
>weather coming in. By the time we got to the Bealach an
>Sgairne it was chucking it down and as we did not like the
>look of the very steep, wet route directly up onto Meall a
>Bhealaich we dropped west down the path until we picked up
>the stalkers path into Coire an Sgairne and then made our
>way over to the summit of Beinn Fhada. Soaked we made our
>way back to the Kintail Outdoor Centre. Thank goodness for
>hot fires, drying rooms and micro waves not to mention a
>good bottle of wine.

Hey - I was there on Saturday and reversed the route you
took. Were there three of you and you met a bloke with a
bike (trying to lift it over a deer fence) as you reached
the Falls of Glomach path - and then met him again on
Beinn Fhada?

Or were there two of you and did you ask someone coming off
Beinn Fhada 'Is there anything up there?'?

Can't remember any other parties on the hill at about
that time.

--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls

In message <[email protected]>, Leonard Trim
<[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]> from
>Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains
>these words:
>

>> Hey - I was there on Saturday and reversed the route you
>> took. Were there three of you and you met a bloke with a
>> bike (trying to lift it over a deer fence) as you reached
>> the Falls of Glomach path - and then met him again on
>> Beinn Fhada?
>
>I was one of the three. Were you the guy with the bike?
>It's always been said we uk.rec.walkers should have some
>form of subtle identifier!

Yes it were me. Were you the one who spoke - can't believe
you would be the one at the front who gave me a rather
reluctant nod. I thought the second rainstorm was worse than
the first.

I have considered saying uk.rec.walking to everyone I meet,
but afraid someone might punch me.

This has happened to me before - some years ago on Pumlomun
(sp?) in Wales when I met Paul Upham - and then realised
later that my dog had licked him all over. And, I met
someone from uk.rec.climbing on the Roaches once.

--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls
- 0% to go
240/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
241/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

In message <[email protected]>, Leonard Trim
<[email protected]> writes

>I was one of the three. Were you the guy with the bike?
>It's always been said we uk.rec.walkers should have some
>form of subtle identifier!

Wow, that was being discussed 7-8 years ago when I was doing
a lot of walking. Maybe some arty types can come up with a
design for a badge ?
--
Muzz Reply to [email protected] Replies to slash
will not be read.

In message <[email protected]>,
Tim Jackson <[email protected]> writes
>Muzz wrote on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:32:38 +0100....
>> It's always been
>> >said we uk.rec.walkers should have some form of subtle
>> >identifier!
>> >
>> Wow, that was being discussed 7-8 years ago when I was
>> doing a lot of walking. Maybe some arty types can come up
>> with a design for a badge ?
>
>Bill Grey came up with a u.r.w baseball cap a little
>while ago.

And a key ring. I've got both - but neither were on display
for Len to spot :-(

--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls
- 0% to go
240/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
241/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

The message <[email protected]>
from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Hey - I was there on Saturday and reversed the route you
> took. Were there three of you and you met a bloke with a
> bike (trying to lift it over a deer fence) as you reached
> the Falls of Glomach path - and then met him again on
> Beinn Fhada?

I was one of the three. Were you the guy with the bike? It's
always been said we uk.rec.walkers should have some form of
subtle identifier!

--
Len Trim [email protected]

Muzz wrote on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:32:38 +0100....
> It's always been
> >said we uk.rec.walkers should have some form of subtle
> >identifier!
> >
> Wow, that was being discussed 7-8 years ago when I was
> doing a lot of walking. Maybe some arty types can come up
> with a design for a badge ?

Bill Grey came up with a u.r.w baseball cap a little
while ago.

--
Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change
'.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct) Absurd patents:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:44:54 +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:

>Muzz wrote on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:32:38 +0100....
>> It's always been
>> >said we uk.rec.walkers should have some form of subtle
>> >identifier!
>> >
>> Wow, that was being discussed 7-8 years ago when I was
>> doing a lot of walking. Maybe some arty types can come up
>> with a design for a badge ?
>
>Bill Grey came up with a u.r.w baseball cap a little
>while ago.

Go here http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Oct03/exp10.htm/
to see two in use. Mine was in the boot of my car. Of all
the hats I have it fits me least well. I have a big head.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"