Re: Hippetty HOP

I have that, but it won't play. Hmmmm....

"sittingduck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Firewalker wrote:
>
> > what codec?

> WMV9 You can download only the codec from microsoft. I hate media player

9, I
> use wmp classic (6.4) but the compression is excellent.

I get: "The source filter for this file could not be loaded."

"sittingduck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Firewalker wrote:
>
> > what codec?

> WMV9 You can download only the codec from microsoft. I hate media player

9, I
> use wmp classic (6.4) but the compression is excellent.

Ditto.

Firewalker wrote:
> I get: "The source filter for this file could not be loaded."

ditto
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Westie wrote:
> Firewalker wrote:
>> I get: "The source filter for this file could not be loaded." ditto

I got that too. Downloaded (saved) the file and it ran fine, but only after
an alert about iffy format or something.

Bill "can jump matchbooks (if layed flat)" S.

S o r n i wrote:
> Westie wrote:
>> Firewalker wrote:
>>> I get: "The source filter for this file could not be loaded." ditto

> I got that too. Downloaded (saved) the file and it ran fine, but
> only after an alert about iffy format or something.
>
> Bill "can jump matchbooks (if layed flat)" S.

I watched it with wimamp no problem.

penny

Penny S wrote:
> S o r n i wrote:
>> Westie wrote:

>> I got that too. Downloaded (saved) the file and it ran fine, but
>> only after an alert about iffy format or something.
>>
>> Bill "can jump matchbooks (if layed flat)" S.

> I watched it with wimamp no problem.

Well neener-neener to you, too!

:)

Bill "did wimamp enjoy it?" S.

RE/
> Downloaded (saved) the file

How did you download it?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>> Downloaded (saved) the file

> How did you download it?

Right-click on the link and "save target as".

Bill "usually better choice for big video files" S.

sittingduck wrote:
> S o r n i wrote:
>
>> Right-click on the link and "save target as".

> won't work in a "real" newsreader (plain text)

Ah. Well, paste it in the browser and then right-click the URL?

Bill "or live without the damned thing; it was only 20 seconds" S.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> sittingduck wrote:
>> S o r n i wrote:
>>
>>> Right-click on the link and "save target as".

>> won't work in a "real" newsreader (plain text)

> Ah. Well, paste it in the browser and then right-click the URL?
>
> Bill "or live without the damned thing; it was only 20 seconds" S.

Thanks for cutting to the chase on that one, Bill.

I'm still scratching my head wondering what the benefit of a "real"
newsreader would be. Apparently I'm stuck in the barney lane of the NG
world by sticking to OE, but I was still able to get to the stinkin' video
in two clicks. So just what is it I'm missing out on? Or is it some sort
of usenet elitism that's entirely lost on me?

Tom (enquiring minds, and all that)

sittingduck <[email protected]> wrote:
> tcmedara wrote:
>
>> I'm still scratching my head wondering what the benefit of a "real"
>> newsreader would be. Apparently I'm stuck in the barney lane of the
>> NG world by sticking to OE, but I was still able to get to the
>> stinkin' video in two clicks. So just what is it I'm missing out
>> on? Or is it some sort of usenet elitism that's entirely lost on me?

> For the light user, OE is ok, but encourages sloppy posting (HTML, top
> posting, broken quotes, etc.), and is sorely lacking in features that
> a good newsreader has. (plain text, scoring, configurability)
> OE can be made a bit more compliant by using quotefix:

I installed quotefix a while ago, and it does help a bit. That said, I did
fine for years without it and I still not all that clear on what I'm
missing. I know enough to not post HTML, hence I've got all the plain text
I need, and I haven't a clue what scoring and configurability would offer me
that will make reading a mountain bike NG any more interesting. This all
seems pretty light to me.

> A few years ago, Ron Newman wrote a document intended to describe
> minimal standards for decent net-behaviour, in an effort to encourage
> newsreader authors to write better behaving newsreaders. Thus came
> the Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval, GNKSA 1.2 in short, into being.
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html

Just read through the doc, and I'm still not all that convinced there's much
benefit to a "real" reader. Am I somehow "misbehaving" according to the
good Mr Newman? The "musts" and "shoulds" don't seem to matter much to me,
and I suspect that switching to a high powered news-reader (that can't
"right click/save target as") will give me capability I don't care about at
the expense of ease of use. Strikes me that the GNKSA was created by the
same folks who turn up their nose at OE just out of mere principle. Bottom
line: It allows me to read the posts, reply to the post, and keep track of
who's saying what to whom. And I can filter out MV. Anything more is a
waste of HD space.

I keep picturing the guy with some huge long-travel dual crown downhill rig
who won't ride off a curb, or the guy with full XTR gear on his bikepath
cruiser.

Tom (XT and OE are good enough for me)

"sittingduck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Firewalker wrote:
>
> > I have that, but it won't play. Hmmmm....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en

I needed to download it first ( save target as) to get it to play. It may be
less a codec issue, and more of a hosting and network configuration issue.

Huge bunny hop! If you could find a gizmo that could instantly raise or
lower your seat ( electrically ?) to let you go from trail riding seat
height, to maximum bunny hopping seat height in a button push, this would be
an awesome skill for trail riding!

Dan V

On 2004-05-31, tcmedara penned:
> Just read through the doc, and I'm still not all that convinced
> there's much benefit to a "real" reader. Am I somehow "misbehaving"
> according to the good Mr Newman? The "musts" and "shoulds" don't seem
> to matter much to me, and I suspect that switching to a high powered
> news-reader (that can't "right click/save target as") will give me
> capability I don't care about at the expense of ease of use. Strikes
> me that the GNKSA was created by the same folks who turn up their nose
> at OE just out of mere principle. Bottom line: It allows me to read
> the posts, reply to the post, and keep track of who's saying what to
> whom. And I can filter out MV. Anything more is a waste of HD space.

For the record, it's not necessarily the case that a high-powered news
reader doesn't recognize links. But somehow, some way, I always seem to
find that the most powerful email clients, news clients, etc, are
console-based. There seems to be a basic mentality difference between
console and gui programmers that lead to different sets of features
being endorsed.

Me, I'd rather have an app that's configurable by a plain-text file than
have clicky links. You seem to have chosen a different route. I
wouldn't give a fig except that I hate microsoft, so I'd rather people
not use their stuff =)

Anyway, on to mtb stuff.

--
monique

On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:42:27 -0400, "Dan Volker"
<[email protected]> scribbled:

>"sittingduck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Firewalker wrote:
>>
>> > I have that, but it won't play. Hmmmm....

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en
>
>I needed to download it first ( save target as) to get it to play. It may be
>less a codec issue, and more of a hosting and network configuration issue.
>
>Huge bunny hop! If you could find a gizmo that could instantly raise or
>lower your seat ( electrically ?) to let you go from trail riding seat
>height, to maximum bunny hopping seat height in a button push, this would be
>an awesome skill for trail riding!
>
>Dan V

Not electric, but...

http://www.gravitydropper.com/

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:42:27 -0400, "Dan Volker"
> <[email protected]> scribbled:
>

> >"sittingduck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en
> >
> >I needed to download it first ( save target as) to get it to play. It may be
> >less a codec issue, and more of a hosting and network configuration issue.
> >
> >Huge bunny hop! If you could find a gizmo that could instantly raise or
> >lower your seat ( electrically ?) to let you go from trail riding seat
> >height, to maximum bunny hopping seat height in a button push, this would be
> >an awesome skill for trail riding!
> >
> >Dan V
> >

> Not electric, but...
>
> http://www.gravitydropper.com/
>
> -Slash

How 'bout a venerable hite rite? Even less electric:

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/IbisBlue.htm

/scott

supabonbon wrote:
> Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:42:27 -0400, "Dan Volker"
>> <[email protected]> scribbled:

>>> If you could find a gizmo that could instantly
>>> raise or lower your seat ( electrically ?) to let you go from trail
>>> riding seat height, to maximum bunny hopping seat height in a
>>> button push, this would be an awesome skill for trail riding!

>> Not electric, but...
>>
>> http://www.gravitydropper.com/
>>
>> -Slash

> How 'bout a venerable hite rite? Even less electric:
>
> http://www.firstflightbikes.com/IbisBlue.htm

The venerable Miles is using one "rite" now on his full-boinger.

Bill "asked him what that silver clothes-pin was" S.