SSSSSSS.....

Zilla

Guest
Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
yesterday. On the way back I went past something
moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
have bit me. Whew

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Zilla wrote:
> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
> have bit me. Whew

Typical mountain biker...

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:zRmVc.274$%[email protected]...
> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
> have bit me. Whew
>
> --
> - Zilla
> Cary, NC
> (Remove XSPAM)

Glad you didn't have to kill it. mighta riled up the vandemaniac. But what
a sight. Out with Jim & Carla here one night, we came upon a huge,
great-horned owl watching us from about 20 feet away. Very cool.

paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:zRmVc.274$%[email protected]...
> > Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
> > yesterday. On the way back I went past something
> > moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
> > was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
> > already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
> > long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
> > side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
> > it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
> > have bit me. Whew
> >
> > --
> > - Zilla
> > Cary, NC
> > (Remove XSPAM)
> >

> Glad you didn't have to kill it. mighta riled up the vandemaniac. But

what
> a sight. Out with Jim & Carla here one night, we came upon a huge,
> great-horned owl watching us from about 20 feet away. Very cool.
>
> paladin

That was an odd situation. All 3 of us were standing at the top of the climb
and we turned around and noticed the owl watching us, he was there the whole
time and we didn't realize it. It was quite majestic.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Similar story :

There is a Rails-to-trails ride out of Deschutes State park in northern
Oregon that seems to have a ton of Rattlers in the early summer. This year
we did the ride with some new biking friends, and had several folks coming
back that said there were a couple of smaller shakers in the middle of the
trail (wide and fairly flat). Instead of heading for cover as they normally
do, they tried to strike at a passing biker. Odd behavior for them, we
thought maybe they were too cold to run, so they tried defence tactics
instead. The biker had spotted them and was well out of range.

In prior years when we were new to the area, we rode down to the river from
this trail to swim and cool down at a great sandy beach area. While there,
a rafter put in, and thanked us for checking out the shoreline for the
rattlers "that always hang around here". We, of course, had no clue. Since
then we have come across lots of snakes in the area, rarely seeing them but
often hearing them.

Bottom line, glad you got him out of the way. Never pays to hit a snake.
Either they're the good ones, or they hit back.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:zRmVc.274$%[email protected]...
> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
> have bit me. Whew
>
> --
> - Zilla
> Cary, NC
> (Remove XSPAM)

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<zRmVc.274$%[email protected]>...
> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
> have bit me. Whew

Was that on Copperhead Rd?

JD

JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<zRmVc.274$%[email protected]>...
>> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
>> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
>> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
>> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
>> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
>> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
>> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
>> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
>> have bit me. Whew

> Was that on Copperhead Rd?
>
> JD

No, on Tobacco Road! :)

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:01:55 -0600, "Paladin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:zRmVc.274$%[email protected]...
>> Well yes I was on the SS on jeep/fire roads
>> yesterday. On the way back I went past something
>> moving right smack in the middle of the trail - it
>> was a damn 4 ft. long copperhead. I think it was
>> already hurt since it was barely moving. So I got a
>> long stick and carefully moved it onto the grassy
>> side of the road. I would have run over it thinking
>> it was a branch, but luckilly I didn't since it could
>> have bit me. Whew
>>
>> --
>> - Zilla
>> Cary, NC
>> (Remove XSPAM)
>>

>Glad you didn't have to kill it. mighta riled up the vandemaniac. But what
>a sight. Out with Jim & Carla here one night, we came upon a huge,
>great-horned owl watching us from about 20 feet away. Very cool.
>
>paladin

Very nice!
Bill