Am I crazy to consider a duathlon?

Preston Crawfor

Guest
I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has me interested in pushing
myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking 15-20 miles a day and 25-30 miles on the
weekends). There's a duathlon coming up soon (middle of October) in my area. 5ks on either end of
the bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like this would be. I'm
doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea of how hard it is, but having no experience
with distances like this off a bike I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do
something like this.

Preston

Preston Crawford wrote:

> I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has me interested in pushing
> myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking 15-20 miles a day and 25-30 miles on the
> weekends). There's a duathlon coming up soon (middle of October) in my area. 5ks on either end of
> the bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like this would be. I'm
> doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea of how hard it is, but having no experience
> with distances like this off a bike I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do
> something like this.
>
> Preston

What have you got to lose other than the entry fee? The worst that will happen

is you will DNF. My guess is the sun will still come up the next day. Take it easy

on the first 5K, keep the bike down to training level speed, and tough out the last

5K even if you have to walk most of it. Most likely the next day you'll be saying,

"damn that was hard, but I bet I could do a lot better if I trained a little more."

JJ

"JJ Waguespack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> What have you got to lose other than the entry fee? The worst that will
happen

> is you will DNF. My guess is the sun will still come up the next day. Take
it easy

> on the first 5K, keep the bike down to training level speed, and tough out
the last

> 5K even if you have to walk most of it. Most likely the next day you'll be
saying,

> "damn that was hard, but I bet I could do a lot better if I trained a
little more."

My problem is that I have anxiety so for me everything is a mental more than it is a physical
challenge. So the challenge isn't if I can physically do
it. I think I could. I'm 250lbs. but very muscular and down from 400lbs because of cycling and going
mostly vegetarian. My cholesterol is 130. I'm in okay shape. So I think I could suffer through
the 10k (the bike should be a breeze). It's just convincing myself I'd live through it. :)

Do you think 250lbs. is too big for a duathalon with little running or distance walking
experience? What kind of training would be required to get up to speed, so to speak? Just lots of
walking or running?

For reference, this is what I look like...

http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg
http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mesmall.jpg
http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg

I think I could do it. I just worry that I'm still too big.

Preston

Preston,

If you want to, you could do it. I'm a big guy too (about 240ish, down from a high of 280ish). I
finished the Catalina Island Marathon a few years ago, with virtually no training. Learned my
lessons, and trained and completed 8 more tough marathons.

Even at a slow pace, 5k isn't a super long way to run. Try it this weekend, have fun with it. Middle
of October is a ways away, you can get some training in before then too.

My advice as an oversized runner is find a GOOD running shop, and don't skimp on shoes. They will
wear out quickly, and they don't really look "worn out" so keep a log and replace your shoes
frequently.

Geoff

news:[email protected]...

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:05:01 GMT, Geoff Jennings wrote:

>If you want to, you could do it. I'm a big guy too (about 240ish, down from a high of 280ish). I
>finished the Catalina Island Marathon a few years ago, with virtually no training. Learned my
>lessons, and trained and completed 8 more tough marathons.
>
>Even at a slow pace, 5k isn't a super long way to run. Try it this weekend, have fun with it.
>Middle of October is a ways away, you can get some training in before then too.

OK, I'll second this. At 215 down from 240, I've really enjoyed the du's I've done. Fair biker -
glacier slow runner and it don't matter. Enjoy it! The first run will set up the bike ride and the
bike ride will set up the second run. Take it easy on the first run, ease into the bike ride a
bit, and then start the second run really slow but gradually speed up. While I have no evidence to
support this statement, You *can* do it. I'm slower than you ever imagined and I've enjoyed every
event I've done. Trust me, you'll finish AND you'll beat my time. I really hate that Nike has
taken this but

just do it.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Preston,

I think your mangina is showing. Its just a day with a little exercise in it. Get out there and do
it. The people on this forum can not help you out there, you're on your own. As was said - the sun
will still rise. Its a couple hours out of your entire life, and I'm guessing you're tough enough to
stand pretty much anything for a couple of hours.

Do you want to die without any scars? I don't want to die with no scars. Do it and you'll have
done a duathlon. IMO, they're harder than triathlons - all legs. Impossible? People do them all
of the time.

Preston,

> My problem is that I have anxiety so for me everything is a mental more than it is a physical
> challenge. So the challenge isn't if I can physically do
> it. I think I could. I'm 250lbs. but very muscular and down from 400lbs because of cycling and
> going mostly vegetarian. My cholesterol is 130. I'm in okay shape. So I think I could suffer
> through the 10k (the bike should be a breeze). It's just convincing myself I'd live through
> it. :)

I don't think you should let your weight worry you. I've been in lots of events with very large
contestants. They are had some of the biggest grins at the finish line.

To convince yourself, go out to a local race. You'll will see lots of large people. At the finish
line, ask them how they faced their fear of taking on the event.

On race day, you'll have spectators rooting for you. This is my favorite part of racing. People you
don't know are out there cheering you on. Look at them. Listen to them. Get energy from them. Thank
them. The finish line is just ahead.

> Do you think 250lbs. is too big for a duathalon with little running or distance walking
> experience? What kind of training would be required to get up to speed, so to speak? Just lots of
> walking or running?

I've only done a few duathlons, but loads of tris. The hardest part for me is the bike to second run
transition. You'll will swear you had someone else's legs. I would practice that a few times. Go out
and do a good ride on the bike and then go right into a run. No resting. It does not have to be far,
a 1/2 mile or a mile will do it. You want to get your legs used to that transition. It gets easier
the more you do it. That said, I wouldn't do it more than once a week. Two or three times before
your race should be plenty.

Don't worry about speed. If anything, you want to take it slow on the first run and on the bike.

> For reference, this is what I look like...
>
> http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg
> http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mesmall.jpg
> http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg
>
> I think I could do it. I just worry that I'm still too big.

You don't look to big to me. Go out and enjoy it. One word of warning though, you may become
addicted to this. Soon you'll be joining you wife in triathlons and having a great time.

Andy

Nothing wrong with trying it. I would suggest you do a few bike-run workouts or you are in for a
BIG shock.

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has
me
> interested in pushing myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking 15-20 miles a day and
> 25-30 miles on the weekends). There's a duathlon coming up soon (middle of October) in my area.
> 5ks on either end of the bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like
> this would be. I'm doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea
of
> how hard it is, but having no experience with distances like this off a
bike
> I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do something like this.
>
> Preston

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:56:18 -0700, "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote:

No doubt you can do it. However only you should decide wether you should do it or not.
Obviuosly you've been training for the bike and not much for the running. Although I'm for
the most part with everyone as far as going ahead and doing it, I'd do it with a bit of
caution. Do it easy, do it for the experiance and fun. Pushing to hard especially with so
little training could be a potential injury. IMO even in such a short distance.

~Matt

>I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has me interested in pushing
>myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking 15-20 miles a day and 25-30 miles on the
>weekends). There's a duathlon coming up soon (middle of October) in my area. 5ks on either end of
>the bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like this would be. I'm
>doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea of how hard it is, but having no experience
>with distances like this off a bike I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do
>something like this.
>
>Preston

"Geoff Jennings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My advice as an oversized runner is find a GOOD running shop, and don't skimp on shoes. They will
> wear out quickly, and they don't really look "worn out" so keep a log and replace your shoes
> frequently.

I will have to tell my wife that. She's under the impression that I shouldn't get shoes until I've
done a couple races, but I have bad arches, so I want to take it easy on my poor feet. Do it right.

Preston

"Andy Howell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To convince yourself, go out to a local race. You'll will see lots of large people. At the finish
> line, ask them how they faced their fear of taking on the event.

I've been at them. That's what's inspired me to give this a go. My wife is also big and she just
finished her first tri. I was so jealous.

> > Do you think 250lbs. is too big for a duathalon with little running or distance walking
> > experience? What kind of training would be required to
get
> > up to speed, so to speak? Just lots of walking or running?
>
> I've only done a few duathlons, but loads of tris. The hardest part for me is the bike to second
> run transition. You'll will swear you had someone else's legs. I would practice that a few times.
> Go out and do a good ride on the bike and then go right into a run. No resting. It does not have
> to be far, a 1/2 mile or a mile will do it. You want to get your legs used to that transition. It
> gets easier the more you do it. That said, I wouldn't do it more than once a week. Two or three
> times before your race should be plenty.

Thanks. I'll do that.

> Don't worry about speed. If anything, you want to take it slow on the first run and on the bike.

Of course. I plan on power-walking the runs, essentially, since I can't run much without my heart
rate going to high and risking a panic attack, etc.

> > For reference, this is what I look like...
> >
> > http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg
> > http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mesmall.jpg
> > http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/skateboard.jpg
> >
> > I think I could do it. I just worry that I'm still too big.
>
> You don't look to big to me. Go out and enjoy it. One word of warning though, you may become
> addicted to this. Soon you'll be joining you wife in triathlons and having a great time.

That's what I want to have happen. :)

Preston

"Old Timer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Preston,
>
> I think your mangina is showing. Its just a day with a little exercise in it. Get out there and do
> it. The people on this forum can not help you out there, you're on your own. As was said - the sun
> will still rise. Its a couple hours out of your entire life, and I'm guessing you're tough enough
> to stand pretty much anything for a couple of hours.

I don't know what a mangina is? Maybe you can explain since you know so much about them. :)

Seriously, though, I think it's a little silly to say that to someone when they have clinical
anxiety. I have clinical anxiety that I'm in treatment for. I wish I could make my fears go away,
but I can't. It's not magic. It takes hard work and pushing yourself in ways that people without
anxiety can't imagine. So the question wasn't posed because I'm afraid of the working hard. The
question was posed because I wasn't sure how physically taxing a duathalon would be on a body like
mine. If the answer is that I *should* be able to do it, then that just gives me a little more
confidence to push away the negative thoughts, the anxiety, which is what I was looking for. Calling
someone a "wuss" essentially, doesn't help.

> Do you want to die without any scars? I don't want to die with no scars. Do it and you'll have
> done a duathlon. IMO, they're harder than triathlons - all legs. Impossible? People do them all of
> the time.

I have plenty of scars. I skateboard often and bike 15 miles a day or more. I'm not afraid of
falling or getting hurt, I just have anxiety, especially as someone who used to weigh 400lbs, I
worry about my heart.

Preston

"Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Nothing wrong with trying it. I would suggest you do a few bike-run workouts or you are in for a
> BIG shock.

The transition is THAT hard? I will definitely have to try it.

Preston

In article <[email protected]>, "Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nothing wrong with trying it. I would suggest you do a few bike-run workouts or you are in for a
> BIG shock.

definitely. and further to that, you should know how it feels to come off the bike into a run. the
first few times can be pretty weird and even difficult. it took me 4-5 bike-to-run transitions
before i felt totally comfortable with the sensation and how to deal with it. just go easy at the
beginning of run #2, and as the legs get back to normal, you can pick it up a bit.

stretch the legs, hips and low back out ON the bike just before run #2. this'll make things
much easier.

since i haven't done a du (just a couple of tris), i don't know about the run to bike, but generally
when i get on a bike after a run, it feels great.... a nice easy cool-down, with some built-in
stretching to relieve the legs.

best of luck,

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

Preston Crawford wrote:

> "Geoff Jennings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>My advice as an oversized runner is find a GOOD running shop, and don't skimp on shoes. They will
>>wear out quickly, and they don't really look "worn out" so keep a log and replace your shoes
>>frequently.
>>

> I will have to tell my wife that. She's under the impression that I shouldn't get shoes until
> I've done a couple races, but I have bad arches, so I want to take it easy on my poor feet. Do
> it right.
>
> Preston

The FIRST thing you should do is get good shoes built for a big guy. Nothing beats you up worse than
running in worn out shoes.

JJ

New shoes that fit are very important. I suggest going to a good store and getting a pair. Saucony,
NB, Nike Addidas or a top brand. They should be light and have plenty of cushion for you. Also, they
should feel great the first time you run on them. Good shoes don't need to break in.

Curt

"JJ Waguespack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Preston Crawford wrote:
>
> > "Geoff Jennings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>My advice as an oversized runner is find a GOOD running shop, and don't skimp on shoes. They
> >>will wear out quickly, and they don't really look "worn out" so keep a log and replace your
> >>shoes frequently.
> >>

> > I will have to tell my wife that. She's under the impression that I shouldn't get shoes until
> > I've done a couple races, but I have bad
arches,
> > so I want to take it easy on my poor feet. Do it right.
> >
> > Preston
>

> The FIRST thing you should do is get good shoes built for a big guy. Nothing beats you up worse
> than running in worn out shoes.
>
> JJ

> My problem is that I have anxiety so for me everything is a mental more
than
> it is a physical challenge.

Well, this is the case for many people. First of all, just relax. You are not performing open heart
surgery on someone, you are running a race. On top of that you don't need to finish, although I
think you will. You should just enter it and go out and have a good time. There is no pressure. You
lost a lot of weight and you are in much better shape now than you were before.

Go race and don't worry about anything. Enjoy the weather while you are out there and the people. I
think you will find it fun and motivation for the future.

Curt

Sign in for the Clydesdale category. I' believe it is for people over 225 (not sure, but if you are
250 I'm sure it is OK)

On this category your time splits will look better/

Your goal should be just finish the race. You will see yourself walking during the run,,, but you
are not going to be the only one :)