Threaded to threadless anyone

Dave

Guest
I picked up a 1" threaded carbon fork, and want to install it on my
cannondale problem is it's too long. What do I need to do in order to mount
it please. Thanks in advance
David

Dave wrote:
> I picked up a 1" threaded carbon fork, and want to install it on my
> cannondale problem is it's too long. What do I need to do in order to mount
> it?

How much too long?
If you can get a headset adjustment with excess thread
above, either add spacers or cut. (Cutting a threaded column
is minimally head tube + 42mm. That ensures any and every
threaded headset may be installed at a later time)

If the threads are not low enough for a headset adjustment
you have what we technically call "the wrong fork".

With a steel column and a shortage of 1cm , get a competent
LBS or framebuilder to cut a few more turns. If your column
is any other material or excessively long, get the proper
fork instead.

Sometimes, like the wrong size shoes, abandoning this may be
the right answer.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:26:37 GMT, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I picked up a 1" threaded carbon fork, and want to install it on my
>cannondale problem is it's too long. What do I need to do in order to mount
>it please. Thanks in advance

How much too long is it? For a roadie, hybrid, or what? The answers
will determine the suggestions. There are several potentially useful
ways to approach this...

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

I have to measure it when I go to the other house to see exactly

> I picked up a 1" threaded carbon fork, and want to install it on my
> cannondale problem is it's too long. What do I need to do in order to

mount
> it please. Thanks in advance
> David

Turns out this can be cut, and threaded after all. I want to thank everyone
who responded. The steering tube is not tappered so it can be sized
properly, Thank you!!