Deep fryers... Recipes/advice please? :-)

OmManiPadmiOmlet

Guest
Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.

I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
content.

Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with spices,
then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time consuming, but it
sure was delicious.

So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
oil in it.

How many times can I re-use the oil?
How long can I keep it for use???

Thanks for all comments and advice! :)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
> [snip]
> So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! [snip]

I have one of those but don't use it much because it's pretty small.
Its advantage versus a deep pot on the stove is the thermostatic
control. Luckily, one of the fun things to make also compensates in
part for the small capacity, and that's twice-cooked french fries.
This method produces a crispy outside and a fluffier than normal
inside.

Slice your russet potatoes to desired thickness, placing the cut
potatoes in cold water while you finish them all. Preheat fryer to
325°F. Dry potatoes very well with towels and fry for about 4
minutes. They will be softened and partially cooked but hardly
colored. Remove and set aside. Repeat with rest of potatoes. At this
stage the potatoes can be kept cool for hours so you can finish them
just before you eat.

For the second frying, preheat fryer to 375°F. Fry potatoes for
another 3-5 minutes until they are the golden brown you like. Salt and
pepper them immediately. If you haven't had them this way, you'll like
them.

> How many times can I re-use the oil?
> How long can I keep it for use???

Strain the oil, using cheesecloth if you fried fish or something with a
loose batter. Store cold and it will last for months. When you reuse
it, put a scallion in the oil while it is preheating. Remove before
it burns. -aem

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
>
> I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
> but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
> content.
>
> Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with
> spices, then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time
> consuming, but it sure was delicious.

This is time consuming as well but also very delicious (and very rich!)

Walnut Sesame Chicken Strips

2 whole chicken breasts (or 4 chicken breast halves, doh!)
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry
4 c. vegetable oil

Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
stiff batter. Stir in sherry and blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or
wokt o 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
golden brown.

> So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes
> with a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy
> removal. Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the
> 'frige with the oil in it.
>
> How many times can I re-use the oil?
> How long can I keep it for use???

A couple of hints; if you use it for frying fish or seafood, don't turn
around and use it to fry potatoes (aka french fries or crisps) unless you
want your potatoes to taste like fish.

The oil should be good for 4-5 uses. Let it cool before you store it
(covered) in the fridge.

And don't immerse the entire Fry Daddy in water! Does it have a removeable
liner? You definitely don't want to get the plug part wet. I haven't had
one of those things in 20 years but I remember well how not to ruin the use
of it!

Jill

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil. ]snip]
> So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
> a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
> Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
> oil in it.

I didn't notice this last sentence when I replied before. I don't
think storing the entire pot with the oil is a great idea. You want to
strain and filter the oil after use. While you're doing that you may
as well wash out the fryer with soapy water. It has a teflon coating
that probably is best stored clean and dry.

I recalled another thing we've used the fryer for successfully: fish
tacos. We've used fresh and frozen fish cut in bite-sized pieces --
cod, yellowtail, pollock, halibut. Beer batter. Corn tortillas warmed
in a dry pan, shredded cabbage, mayonnaise, lime juice, [fresh tomato
salsa optional.] Fried the fish at 360°F plus or minus 10.

Oh, one other thing: there is a technique called 'velveting' shrimp in
some Chinese recipes. It basically means to pre-cook shrimp in
moderately heated oil before later finishing with a hot stir fry. The
Presto is a good tool for that because it saves you from having to put
a lot of oil in a wok and then pour it out again. -aem

-aem

OmManiPadmiOmlet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Notachance-
[email protected]:

> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
>
> I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
> but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
> content.
>
> Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with

spices,
> then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time consuming, but it
> sure was delicious.
>
> So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
> a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
> Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
> oil in it.
>
> How many times can I re-use the oil?
> How long can I keep it for use???
>
> Thanks for all comments and advice! :)

Om,

Safety tips:

If you have a large enough fry pan to seat the deep fryer with the plug
attachment comfortably in, do that. If the oil for whatever reason foams
over, you don't have your counter and cabinets scarred from burning oil
to clean up.

As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. In other words if it's
dialed to 375, make sure the thermometer doesn't read 400. You get the
idea.

Deep fryers in restaurants look simple, but they're built to be idiot
proof/immoveable objects. Household counter deep fryers are not so it
requires much caution.

More brainquakes brought to you by

Andy

Andy wrote:
> [snip]
> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

Calibrate? -aem

aem wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > [snip]
> > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize
> > your temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

> Calibrate? -aem

A sad consequence of 5 years of Dubya's reign.
Our language is crumbling, and nobody cares.
It's like our roads, bridges, and educational
system.

The neo-con strategerie seems to be
to Americanize Mexico and Mexicanize America.
When complete, the whole continent will be
like Texas. They're even trying to change the
global climate to be more like Texas. :-O

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
>
> I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
> but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
> content.

4 cups? That's really tiny. But I can see some
advantages to that. Here's a recipe for the wontons
I used to make, before I gave up deep-frying for
health reasons. Note that this recipe is intended
for a skillet or pot with a shallow layer of oil.
If you use a deep fryer, you'll need a way to
force the wontons under the surface of the oil
to get uniform browning.

* * * * * *

A very easy wonton filling is pork sausage (prefer Farmer John's brand)
and chopped parsely. Break up the sausages in a pan and lightly
brown them. When ready, drain off the fat and dump the meat into
a pad of paper towels. Wrap the meat in the towels and squeeze out
as much fat and meat juice as possible.

Wash and chop the parsely. Again, wrap it in paper towels and
squeeze out the excess water. The purpose of squeezing out all
the water is to prevent formation of steam in the fried wontons,
which makes them puff up and can even cause them to burst.

I always use square wonton wrappers. The wrappers are sealed with
a little water, like sealing an envelope. I place a small lump
of filling in the center, dip a finger in a cup of water and wet
two adjacent edges of the wrapper, and fold it over to form a
90-degree right triangle. The 90-degree corner is wetted and folded
over to touch the fold. Then the one of the other two corners is
wetted and wrapped around _on_the_other_side_ to seal with the opposite
corner. This produces a structure similar to a tortellini.

Make sure the oil is real hot before frying. When you can toss a
single drop of water in the oil and it makes a crackling noise,
that's about right. The depth of the oil should be only half
an inch or so. If it's deeper, the wontons will float and turn with
their heavy side down, and only get properly browned on one side.
Shallower oil allows you to cook one side first, then flip them
over to do the other side. The wontons should cook in a couple of
minutes. If they get real brown in thirty seconds, you've got a
very hot stovetop and should turn the heat down. On my 60-year-old
gas stovetop, I have to run the burner at its highest heat to
get the right temperature. But once I made this recipe at a
friend's house, and that stovetop was capable of real high heat.
That took me by surprise, and I'm lucky we didn't have a fire.

Drain on brown paper bags covered with paper towels. A barbeque
tongs makes the whole process much easier. Contadina tomato
sauce makes a nice and cheap dipping sauce. These are best
served while still hot.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
> I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
>
> I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
> but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
> content.

Shrimp toast. Ground shrimp, sesame oil, egg white, lemongrass,
finely chopped garlic and onion, salt. Spread on baguette rounds
(you can make them thin slices for low-carb) and deep fry.

I'll probably do this tonight.

A 4-cup Fry-Daddy? That's pretty whimpy. But I guess efficient
for small batches of food (nothing bigger than chicken wings).

-sw

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:55:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> A couple of hints; if you use it for frying fish or seafood, don't turn
> around and use it to fry potatoes (aka french fries or crisps) unless you
> want your potatoes to taste like fish.

I used to be in the US Air Force. I went to tech school in 1984 and I
can still remember when I and my classmates all got our assignment
sheets.

A goodly portion of the class would be going to RAF Chicksands if/when
they graduated. Our instructor had been stationed there more than once
and was very enthusiastic about the assignment. His only caution
(besides warning against killing any of the Queen's ducks or messing
with the nearby witches coven) was to not eat at any of the McDonald's
while in England.

I thought his reasoning would be something along the lines of being in a
foreign country and trying their cuisine rather than just eating
familiar American fast food. Nope, his reasoning was that everything
tasted like fish. I never could tell if he was being apocryphal or if
that really was his experience with McDonald's in England in the late
70s, early 80s.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> [snip]
>> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
>> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

> Calibrate? -aem

I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I stand
correctly. :D

Andy

Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> aem wrote:
>>
>> Andy wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize
>> > your temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

>> Calibrate? -aem

> A sad consequence of 5 years of Dubya's reign.
> Our language is crumbling, and nobody cares.
> It's like our roads, bridges, and educational
> system.
>
> The neo-con strategerie seems to be
> to Americanize Mexico and Mexicanize America.
> When complete, the whole continent will be
> like Texas. They're even trying to change the
> global climate to be more like Texas. :-O

Mark,

I de-served that. ;)

Andy

Andy wrote:
> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
> >
> > Andy wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
> >> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

> > Calibrate? -aem

> I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I stand
> correctly. :D

I'm down to only one gun nowadays, and I can't remember when I last
accurized it -- I mean, sighted it in. Is it your trigger finger
that's broken? Bummer, when there are soon going to be all those
escaped Easter bunny rabbits that need shooting. -aem

Yeff wrote:

> His only caution (besides warning against killing
> any of the Queen's ducks or messing with the nearby
> witches coven) was to not eat at any of the McDonald's
> while in England.

Did he say anything specific about problems that
would result from messing with the witches coven?
I should think they would be rather mellow people
to deal with, but that's only my unfounded
speculation.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> How many times can I re-use the oil?
> How long can I keep it for use???
>
> and advice! :)

Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
as expensive and a great product.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Did he say anything specific about problems that
> would result from messing with the witches coven?

Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Yeff wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Did he say anything specific about problems that
>> would result from messing with the witches coven?

> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

In article <[email protected]>,
jay <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>

> > How many times can I re-use the oil?
> > How long can I keep it for use???
> >
> > and advice! :)

> Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
> Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
> as expensive and a great product.

I won't use Canola oil.
The smoke point is not high enough, but thanks! :)

I bought 1 gallon of peanut oil for around $7.00 and this is only a 4
cup fryer.

Thanks for the input!
--

Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Did he say anything specific about problems that
> > would result from messing with the witches coven?

> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

People fear what they do not understand...

Read this (very long) essay for a better understanding of the older
spiritual process, Pre-dates the Christian pantheon:

~~ "We Are the Other People" ~~

"Ding-dong!" goes the doorbell. Is it Avon calling? Or
perhaps Ed McMahon with my three million dollars? No, it's
Yahweh's Witnesses again, just wanting to have a nice little
chat about the Bible... Boy, did they ever come to the wrong
house!

So we invite them in: "Enter freely and of your own will..."
(Hey, it's Sunday morning, nothing much going on, why not
have a little entertainment?) Diane and I amuse ourselves
watching their expressions as they check out the living room:
great horned owl on the back of my chair; ceremonial masks
and medicine skulls of dragons and unicorns on the wall;
crystals, wands, staffs, swords; lots of Goddess figures and
several altars; boa constrictors draped in amorous embrace
over the elkhorn; white doves sitting in the hanging planters;
cats and weasels underfoot; iron dragon snorting steam
atop the wood stove; posters and paintings of wizards
and dinosaurs and witchy women, some proudly naked;
sculptures of mythological beasties and lots more dinosaurs;
warp six on the star-filled viewscreen of my computer; a
five-foot model of the USS Enterprise and the skeleton of a
plesiosaur hanging from the ceiling; very, very many books,
most of them dealing with obviously weird subjects... To say
nothing of the great horned owl perched on the back of my
chair and the Unicorn grazing in the front yard. You know;
early Adams Family decor.

And then, of course, it being late in the morning, you can
expect Morning Glory to come wandering out naked, looking
for her wake-up cup of tea. Morning Glory naked is a truly
impressive sight, and the Witnesses look as if she'd set titties
on stun as they stand immobilized, hands clasped over their
genitals. With the stage set and all the actors in place, the
show is ready to begin.

Their mission, of course, is to save our heathen souls by
turning us on to "The Word of the Lord"- their Bible. I
guess they figger some of us just haven't heard about it yet,
and we're all eagerly awaiting their joyous tidings of personal
salvation through giving our rational faculties to Jesus. Every
time they come around, I look forward to trying out a new
riposte. Sure, it may be cruel and sadistic of me, but hey, I
didn't call them up and ask them to come over; they entered
at their own risk! This time should be pretty good.

After letting them run off their basic rap while lovely
Morning Glory serves us all hot herb tea, I innocently
remark: "But none of that applies to us. We have no need
for salvation because we don't have original sin. We are the
Other People."

"Hunh? What?" they reply eloquently. It's clear they've never
heard this one before. "Right," I say. "It's all in your Bible."
And I proceed to tell them the story, using their own book for
reference: (Genesis 1:26) The [Elohim] said, "Let us make
humanity in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and
let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven,
the cattle, all the wild beasts and all the reptiles that crawl
upon the earth." Elohim is a plural word, including male and
female, and should properly be translated "Gods" or
"Pantheon."

(1: 27) The Gods created humanity in the image of
themselves, In the image of the Gods they created them,
Male and female they created them. (1:28) The Gods blessed
them, saying to them, "Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and
conquer it. Be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of
heaven and all living animals on the earth." Now clearly,
here we are talking about the original creation of the human
species: male and female. All the animals, plants, etc. have all
been created in previous verses. This is before the Garden of
Eden, and Yahweh is not mentioned as the creator of these
people.

The next chapter talks about how Yahweh, an individual
member of the Pantheon, goes about assembling his own
special little botanical and zoological Garden in Eden, and
making his own little man to inhabit it: (Gen 2:7) Yahweh
God fashioned a man of dust from the soil. Then he breathed
into his nostrils a breath of life, and thus the man became a
living being. (2:8) Yahweh God planted a garden in Eden
which is in the east, and there he put the man he had
fashioned. (2:9) Yahweh God caused to spring up from the
soil every kind of tree, enticing to look at and good to eat,
with the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and
evil in the middle of the garden. (2:15) Yahweh God took the
man and settled him in the garden of Eden to cultivate and
take care of it.

Now this next is crucial: note Yahweh's precise words: (2:16)
Then Yahweh God gave the man this admonition, "You may
eat indeed of all the trees in the garden. (2:17) Nevertheless
of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you are not to
eat, for on the day you eat of it you shall most surely die."
Fateful words, those. We will refer back to this admonition
later.

Then Yahweh decides to make a woman to go with the man.
Now, don't forget that the Pantheon had earlier created a
whole population of people, "male and female," who are
presumably doing just fine somewhere "outside the gates
of Eden." But this set-up in Eden is Yahweh's own little
experiment, and will unfold to its own separate destiny.
(2:21) So Yahweh God made the man fall into a deep sleep.
And while he slept, he took one of his ribs and enclosed it in
flesh. (2:22) Yahweh God built the rib he had taken from the
man into a woman, and brought her to the man. Right. Man
gives birth to woman. Sure he does. But that's the way the
story is told here. (2:25) Now both of them were naked, the
man and his wife, but they felt no shame in front of each
other. Well, of course not! Why should they? But take
careful note of those words, as they also will prove to be
significant...

Now this next part is where it starts to get interesting. Enter
the Serpent: (Gen. 3:1) The serpent was the most subtle of
all the wild beasts that Yahweh God had made. It asked the
woman, "Did God really say you were not to eat from any
of the trees in the garden?" (3:2) The woman answered the
serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees in the garden. (3:3)
"But of the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden God
said, 'You must not eat it, nor touch it, under pain of death."
(3:4) Then the serpent said to the woman, "No! You will not
die! (3:5) "God knows in fact that on the day you eat it your
eyes will be opened and you will be like gods, knowing good
and evil."

What a remarkable statement! "Your eyes will be opened and
you will be like gods, knowing good and evil." The Serpent
directly contradicts Yahweh. Obviously, one of them has to
be lying. Which one, do you suppose? And, if the serpent
speaks true, wouldn't you wish to eat of the magic fruit?
Wouldn't it be a good thing, to become "like gods, knowing
good and evil"? Or is it preferable to remain in ignorance?

(Gen. 3:6) The woman saw that the tree was good to eat
and pleasing to the eye, and that it was desirable for the
knowledge that it could give. So she took some of its fruit
and ate it. She gave some also to her husband who was with
her, and he ate it. (3:7) Then the eyes of both of them were
opened and they realized that they were naked. So they sewed
fig leaves together to make themselves loincloths. The author
makes an interesting assumption here: that if you realize you
are naked you will automatically want to cover yourself.
Further implications will unfold shortly...

(Gen. 3:8) The man and his wife heard the sound of Yahweh
God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they
hid from Yahweh God among the trees of the garden. (3:9)
But Yahweh God called to the man. "Where are you?" he
asked. (3:10) "I heard the sound of you in the garden," he
replied. "I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid." (3:11)
"Who told you that you were naked?" he asked. "Have you
been eating of the tree I forbade you to eat?"

And so the sign of the Fall becomes modesty. Take note of
this. The descendants of Adam and Eve will be distinguished
throughout history from virtually all other peoples by their
obsessive modesty taboos, wherein they will feel ashamed of
being naked. It follows that those who feel no shame in being
naked are, by definition, not carriers of this spiritual disease
of original sin!

(Gen. 3:12) The man replied,"It was the woman you put with
me; she gave me the fruit, and I ate it." Right. Blame the
woman. What a turkey! (3:13) Then Yahweh God asked the
woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman replied,
"The serpent tempted me and I ate. "So of course she blames
the serpent. But just what did the serpent do that was so evil?
Why, he called Yahweh a liar! Was he wrong? Let's see...
(3:21) Yahweh God made clothes out of skins for the man
and his wife, and they put them on. Out of skins? This means
that Yahweh had to kill some innocent animals to pander to
Adam and Eve's new obsession with modesty!

And now we come to the crux of the Fall. Yahweh had said
back there in chapter (2:17), regarding the fruit of the tree
of knowledge, that "on the day you eat of it you shall most
surely die." The Serpent, on the other hand, had contradicted
Yahweh in chapter (3:4-5): "No! You will not die! God
knows in fact that on the day you eat it your eyes will be
opened and you will be like gods, knowing good and evil."

So what actually happened? Who lied and who told the truth
about this remarkable fruit? The answer is given in the next
verse: (3:22) Then Yahweh God said, "See, the man has
become like one of us, with his knowledge of good and evil.
He must not be allowed to stretch his hand out next and pick
from the tree of life also, and eat some and live forever."

Get that? Yahweh himself admits that he had lied! In fact, and
in Yahweh's own words, the Serpent spoke the absolute truth!
And moreover, Yahweh tells the rest of the Pantheon that
he intends to evict Adam (and presumably Eve as well) to
keep them from gaining immortality to go with their newly-
acquired divine knowledge. To prevent them, in other words,
from truly becoming gods! So who, in this story, comes off
as a benefactor of humanity, and who comes off as a tyrant?
THE SERPENT NEVER LIED!

This story, to digress slightly, bears a remarkable resemblance
to a contemporary tale from ancient Greece. In that version,
the Serpent (later identified as Lucifer, the Light-Bearer) may
be equated with the heroic titan Prometheus, who championed
humanity against the tyranny of Zeus, who wished for people
to be mere slaves of the gods.

Prometheus, whose name means "forethought," gave people
wisdom, intelligence, and fire stolen from Olympus. Moreover,
he ordained the portions of animal sacrifice so that humans
got the best parts (the meat and hides) while the portion that
was burned to the gods was the bones and fat.

In punishment for this defiance of his divine authority, Zeus
condemned Prometheus to a terrible punishment for an
immortal: to be chained to a mountain in the Caucasus, where
Zeus' gryphon/eagle (actually a Lammergier) would devour
his liver each day. It would grow back each night. Zeus
promised to relent if Prometheus would reveal his great
secret knowledge: Who would succeed Zeus as supreme
god? Prometheus refused to tell, but history has revealed the
answer...

The interesting thing about all this is that the Greeks properly
regarded Prometheus as a noble hero in his defiance of
unjust tyranny. One may wonder why the Serpent is not so
well regarded. On the contrary, snakes are loathed throughout
Christendom. (3:23) So Yahweh God expelled him from the
garden of Eden, to till the soil from which he had been taken.
(3:24) He banished the man, and in front of the garden of
Eden he posted the cherubs, and the flame of a flashing
sword, to guard the way to the tree of life. So that's it for the
Fall.

But the story of Adam and Eve doesn't end there. (Gen 4:1)
The man had intercourse with his wife Eve, and she
conceived and gave birth to Cain... (4:2) She gave birth to a
second child, Abel, the brother of Cain. Now Abel became
a shepherd and kept flocks, while Cain tilled the soil. (4:3)
Time passed and Cain brought some of the produce of the
soil as an offering for Yahweh, (4:4) while Abel, for his part,
brought the first-born of his flock and some of their fat as
well.

Yahweh looked with favor on Abel and his offering. But he
did not look with favor on Cain and his offering, and Cain
was very angry and downcast. Well, why shouldn't he be?
Both brothers had brought forth their first fruits as offerings,
but Yahweh rejected the vegetables and only accepted the
blood sacrifice. This was to set a gruesome precedent: (4:8)
Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out;" and while
they were in the open country, Cain set on his brother Abel
and killed him. Accursed and marked for fratricide, (4:16)
Cain left the presence of Yahweh and settled in the land of
Nod, east of Eden. We can assume that the phrase "left the
presence of Yahweh" implies that Yahweh is a local deity,
and not omnipresent.

Now Eden, according to (Gen. 2:14-15), was situated at the
source of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, apparently right
where Lake Van is now, in Turkey. "East of Eden," therefore,
would probably be along the shores of the Caspian Sea, right
in the Indo-European heartland.

Cain settled in there, among the people of Nod, and married
one of the women of that country. Here, for the first time, is
specifically mentioned the "other people" who are not of the
lineage of Adam and Eve. i.e: the Pagans. So let's look at this
story from another viewpoint:

There we were, around six thousand years ago, living in
our little farming communities around the Caspian Sea, in
the land of Nod, when this dude with a terrible scar comes
stumbling in out of the sunset. He tells us this bizarre story,
about how his mother and father had been created by some
god named Yahweh, and put in charge of a beautiful garden
somewhere out west, and how they had gotten thrown out for
disobedience after eating some of the landlord's forbidden
magic fruit of enlightenment. He tells us of murdering his
brother, as the god of his parents would only accept blood
sacrifice, and of receiving that scar as a mark so that all
would know him as a fratricide.

The poor guy is really a mess psychologically, obsessed with
guilt. He is also obsessively modest, insisting on wearing
clothes even in the hottest summer, and he has a hard time
with our penchant for skinny-dipping in the warm inland
sea. He seems to believe that he is tainted by the "sin" of his
parent's disobedience; that it is in his blood, somehow, and
will continue to contaminate his children and his children's
children.

One of our healing women takes pity on the poor sucker,
and marries him... (4:17) Cain had intercourse with his wife,
and she conceived and gave birth to Enoch. He became the
builder of a town, and he gave the town the name of his son
Enoch. With both of their first sons not turning out very
well, Adam and Eve decided to try again: (4:25) Adam had
intercourse with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom
she named Seth... (4:26) A son was also born to Seth, and he
named him Enosh. This man was the first to invoke the name
of Yahweh.

Now it doesn't mention here where Seth's wife came from.
Another woman from Nod, possibly, or maybe someone
from another neolithic community downstream in the
Tigris-Euphrates valley. But her folks also, cannot be of the
lineage of Adam and Eve, and must also be counted among
"the other people."

But whatever happened to Adam? After all, way back there
in chapter Gen. 2:17, warning Adam about the magic fruit of
knowledge, Yahweh had told him that "on the day you eat of
it you shall most surely die." So, when did Adam die? (Gen.
5:4) Adam lived for eight hundred years after the birth of
Seth and he became the father of sons and daughters. (5:5)
In all, Adam lived for nine hundred and thirty years; then he
died. Hey, that's pretty good! Nine hundred and some odd
years isn't bad for a man who's been told he's gonna die the
next day!

Well, the story goes on, and maybe next time the Witlesses
come to visit I'll tell more of it. But suffice it to say that those
of us who are not of Semitic descent (i.e., not of the lineage
of Adam and Eve) cannot share in the Original Sin that
comes with that lineage. Being that the Bible is the story of
that lineage, of Adam and Eve's descendants and their special
relationship with their particular god, Yahweh, it follows that
this is not the story of the rest of us. We may have been
Cain's wife's people, or Seth's wife's people, or some other
people over the hill and far away, but whichever people the
rest of us are, as far as the Bible is concerned, we are the
Other People, and so we are continually referred to
throughout.

Later books of the Bible are filled with admonitions to the
followers of Yahweh to "learn not the ways of the Pagans..."
(Jer 10:2) with detailed descriptions of exactly what it is we
do, such as erect standing stones and sacred poles, worship
in sacred groves and practice divination and magic. And
worship the sun, moon, stars and the "Queen of Heaven."
"You must not behave as they do in Egypt where once you
lived; you must not behave as they do in Canaan where I am
taking you. You must not follow their laws." (Lev 18:3) For
Yahweh, as he so clearly emphasizes, is not the god of the
Pagans.

We have our own lineage and our own heritage, and our tale
is not told in the Bible. We were not "made" like clay
figurines by a male deity out of "dust from the soil." We
were born of our Mother the Earth, and have evolved over
aeons in Her nurturing embrace. All of us, in our many and
diverse tribes, have creation myths and legends of our origins
and history; some of these tales may even be actually true.

Like the descendants of Adam and Eve, many of us also have
stories of great floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and
other cataclysms that wiped out whole communities of our
people, wherein "I alone survived to tell the tale." Nearly all
of our ancestral tribes (and especially those of us who today
are reclaiming our own Pagan heritage) lack that peculiar
obsessive body modesty that seems to be a hallmark of the
original sin alluded to in the story of the Fall. We can be
naked and unashamed! Why, our Goddess even tells us, "as a
sign that you are truly free, you shall be naked in your rites."
Not being born into sin, we have no need of salvation, and no
need of a Messiah to redeem our sinful souls.

Neither heaven nor hell is our destination in the afterlife; we
have our own various arrangements with our own various
deities. The Bible is not our story; we have our own stories
to tell, and they are many and diverse. In a long life, you may
get to hear many of them... May you live long and prosper!

By Oberon (Otter) Zell
--

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yeff wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> >> Did he say anything specific about problems that
> >> would result from messing with the witches coven?

> > Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
> > had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

> Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

Only to the ignorant........ ;-D

B*B!