Re: Hard Disk Recovery

Phil Cook

Guest
Mike Mason wrote:

>"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Just a quick mention in case this is of any use to anyone else.
>>
>> I recently had a hard drive disaster, my entire 300GB drive became
>> corrupted (due to a loose cable connection I think). I couldn't access the
>> drive, even though it was still showing up in the OS.
>>
>> After testing a few different recovery demos, I found one that worked, so
>> I bought it.

>> I'm very pleased with the results and I highly recommend GetDataBack:
>> http://www.runtime.org/

>Hey Paul, backup time surely.

Yeah. He's the one who says he keeps two backups in different places.

I wll add another recomendation for GetDataBack. I saved me back in
the days before I kept a backup on an external disk. In fact it was
back in the days when I used partitions; the problem was caused by
some partition software coughing and I ended up with a disk where I
couldn't see all the partitions on it and the files I wanted were of
course in the ones I couldn't see.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Heron Pike via Nab Scar.

Phil Cook wrote:

>>> I'm very pleased with the results and I highly recommend
>>> GetDataBack: http://www.runtime.org/

>> Hey Paul, backup time surely.

You reckon? ;-)

> Yeah. He's the one who says he keeps two backups in different places.

Yeah, I do, for the really important stuff, like my photos, so no problems
there.

However... as for all my other stuff, well... have you ever heard of this
guy called Murphy?

Due to my expanding storage requirements I recently decided to purchase a
new external 500GB drive. So having ordered the drive, I then started
rearranging my my files, in anticipation of moving them to my new drive. I
made the foolish mistake of moving some of my backups, including all my
emails, to the same drive. Not only that, but I'd got a bit lazy with my
other backups, with some of them being nearly a year out of date.

Then Murphy struck. On the very due that I was due to receive my new drive,
just 11 hours before to be precise, I had the hard drive disaster!
Aaaaaaarrrgghhh!

> I wll add another recomendation for GetDataBack. I saved me back in
> the days before I kept a backup on an external disk. In fact it was
> back in the days when I used partitions; the problem was caused by
> some partition software coughing and I ended up with a disk where I
> couldn't see all the partitions on it and the files I wanted were of
> course in the ones I couldn't see.

Yeah, I don't bother with partitions anymore either.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Hey Paul, backup time surely.

> You reckon? ;-)
>
>> Yeah. He's the one who says he keeps two backups in different places.

> Yeah, I do, for the really important stuff, like my photos, so no problems
> there.
>
> However... as for all my other stuff, well... have you ever heard of this
> guy called Murphy?
>
> Due to my expanding storage requirements I recently decided to purchase a
> new external 500GB drive. So having ordered the drive, I then started
> rearranging my my files, in anticipation of moving them to my new drive. I
> made the foolish mistake of moving some of my backups, including all my
> emails, to the same drive. Not only that, but I'd got a bit lazy with my
> other backups, with some of them being nearly a year out of date.
>
> Then Murphy struck. On the very due that I was due to receive my new
> drive, just 11 hours before to be precise, I had the hard drive disaster!
> Aaaaaaarrrgghhh!
>
>> I wll add another recomendation for GetDataBack. I saved me back in
>> the days before I kept a backup on an external disk. In fact it was
>> back in the days when I used partitions; the problem was caused by
>> some partition software coughing and I ended up with a disk where I
>> couldn't see all the partitions on it and the files I wanted were of
>> course in the ones I couldn't see.

> Yeah, I don't bother with partitions anymore either.
>
> Paul
> --
> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Murphy, know him well, which is why I back up important stuff on a daily
basis and a complete backup every week. This is done as an overnight run.
Currently 200 gigs approx.

Mike

Paul Saunders wrote:

>However... as for all my other stuff, well... have you ever heard of this
>guy called Murphy?

Yeah, know him quite well. At the moment I am struggling with a CF
card that my camera won't recognise and my card reader won't format.
Never mind the fact that it says it is 16.9 GB when it's only a 1 GB
one. I got all the pictures off it took it out of the reader put it
back in the camera and it came up with "There is a problem with the CF
card, replace the CF card." :-(

Cards are so cheap these days I can afford to get a few replacement 2
GB cards for what I paid for this 1 GB one but I was just wondering if
you knew any tricks for getting it back into use. Google doesn't seem
much help. Too much wood confusing the tree I'm after.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Heron Pike via Nab Scar.

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 00:12:12 +0100, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul Saunders wrote:
>
>> However... as for all my other stuff, well... have you ever heard of
>> this
>> guy called Murphy?

> Yeah, know him quite well. At the moment I am struggling with a CF
> card that my camera won't recognise and my card reader won't format.
> Never mind the fact that it says it is 16.9 GB when it's only a 1 GB
> one. I got all the pictures off it took it out of the reader put it
> back in the camera and it came up with "There is a problem with the CF
> card, replace the CF card." :-(
>
> Cards are so cheap these days I can afford to get a few replacement 2
> GB cards for what I paid for this 1 GB one but I was just wondering if
> you knew any tricks for getting it back into use. Google doesn't seem
> much help. Too much wood confusing the tree I'm after.

Try SpinRite:

http://spinrite.info

--
Regards, etc.