Costco rib roasts

Ck

Guest
Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were choice grade. Is standing rib the same as
prime rib, except for the grade? And how does boneless rib eye compare?

Carolyn

CK wrote:

> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
> ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were choice grade. Is standing rib the same as
> prime rib, except for the grade? And how does boneless rib eye compare?

Too funny, your timing is impecible. I won't bore you with why.

Go for the bone in. That's where the flavor is.

nancy

"CK" <[email protected]> writes:

> Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?

That's like asking if Buick is the same as Porche, except for the handling.

Hark! I heard "CK" <[email protected]> say:

> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
> ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were choice grade. Is standing rib the same as
> prime rib, except for the grade?

I *think* so, but if I'm wrong, one of the experts here will happily correct me. Here's a good link
on beef grading, if you're interested:

http://www.manlyweb.com/food/beef/grades.html

> And how does boneless rib eye compare?

No, no; always go for the bone. Okay, that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~ ..fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

"CK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
> ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were choice grade. Is standing rib the same as
> prime rib, except for the
grade?
> And how does boneless rib eye compare?
>
> Carolyn

Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs, inclusive. This does not include the
5th rib forward, which is part of the "chuck" and the 13th rib backwards, which is part of the
"loin". The "Grade" is irrelevant. You want the bigger end (chuck end) of the rib section for a
roast. I prefer the rib roast over the rib eye as its drippings make better gravy.

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

>From: "CK" [email protected]

>Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
>($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were choice grade.

Interesting. Since we are serving Standing Rib Roast for Christmas and in light of the recent
increase in beef prices I did some shopping around myself. My local Prime Meat shop has SRR for
14.99 Bone-In and 15.99 Boneless. Not in my budget, but I bet it's wonderful.

On to the next source...my local Publix. They are offering Choice SRR for $5.99 lb, no diferentation
between large end or small end. Cool. Since we can order it cut to our specs, we are requesting an
11 lb, small to middle rib roast. This way our guests will be able to opt for their favorite degree
of doneness.

The house chef will bone the roast and then tie the bones back on for roasting. The bones add
flavor but it will be easier to carve after it is roasted. Plus, the bones are our reward the
next day. Heh!

Ellen

"Mr. Wizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "CK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LcrCb.376577$ao4.1257008@attbi_s51...
> > Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had standing rib roast
> > ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both
were
> > choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the
> grade?
> > And how does boneless rib eye compare?
> >
> > Carolyn
> >
> Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs, inclusive. This does not include
> the 5th rib forward, which is part of the "chuck" and the 13th rib backwards, which is part of the
> "loin". The "Grade" is irrelevant. You want the bigger end (chuck end) of the rib section for a
> roast. I prefer the rib roast over the rib eye as its drippings make better gravy.

Another excellent choice is the Round Tip Roast. It is also called the Pikes Peak Roast. Tremendous
flavor and very tender.

PENMART01 wrote:

> "CK" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?
>
> That's like asking if Buick is the same as Porche, except for the handling.
>
> Sheldon ````````````

Hey jailbait, that did not answer his questions, even tho' it was funny... ;-D

Go for the bone in. It has better flavor.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-
cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

"Mr. <S>Wizard</S> MOUTH" writes:

>Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs

Proof.

(SportKite1) writes:

>The house chef will bone the roast and then tie the bones back on for roasting. The bones add
>flavor but it will be easier to carve after it is roasted. Plus, the bones are our reward the next
>day. Heh!

You don't have me filtered... heh

Stay away from this roast. It has too much fat content. Have a nice flank steak,or round
steak. Marinate for flavor. And eat more vegetables and fruits. You must think of you arteries
to your heart.

Drink water for dessert.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mr. <S>Wizard</S> MOUTH" writes:
> >
> >Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs
>
> Proof.

I'm not sure when he actually coined the term, but Charles Ranhofer world famous chef de cuisine at
Delmonico's from 1862 to 1896 writes about "Prime Rib" and illustrates in his 1894 book "The
Epicurean". That is decades before USDA Grading. I wanted to make sure the information is available
on the net so I did a google search using only his name and got several hits. Here are the best
examples. http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html http://tinyurl.com/z11x

[email protected] wrote:

> Stay away from this roast. It has too much fat content. Have a nice flank steak,or round steak.
> Marinate for flavor. And eat more vegetables and fruits. You must think of your arteries to
> your heart.
>
> Drink water for dessert.

I am so very glad that I worship the goddess of sarcasm..... %-D

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-
cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

>From: [email protected]

>You don't have me filtered... heh

Honey chile...don't go getting a big head. The House Chef has cooked a mess of Standing Rib Roasts
in his life time. You forget, he's CIA-1985.

Ellen

So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the USDA has viewed it and
marks it so?

Pity the rest of the world with no prime rib.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20031212211808.07961.00000491@mb-
m03.aol.com...
> "Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:

> >> Proof.
> >>

> >Here are the best examples. http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html
>
> This ain't proof, it's OPINION: "Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade" "<U>Opinion</U>
> by JOE O'CONNELL"
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/z11x
> "Alvarez said the inn's secret is high-choice beef"
>
> And this is also a writer's opinion, and ********... what the frig is "high-choice beef"?
>
> My ass is HIGH-CHOICE BEEF, but it ain't Prime Rib... you see any purple
USDA
> grade markings transversing the crack of my ass, eh?
>
> "Proof" means a corroborative reference that is generally highly regarded,
NOT
> some unknown idiot's editorialized opinion
>
> prime rib The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is
actually
> a *RIB ROAST*. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest
USDA

"PENMART01" The unknown idiot.<penmart01@aol.****>
> "Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:

> >> Proof.
> >>

> >Here are the best examples. http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html
>
> This ain't proof, it's OPINION: "Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade"
> "<U>Opinion</U> by JOE O'CONNELL"
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/z11x
> "Alvarez said the inn's secret is high-choice beef"
>
> And this is also a writer's opinion, and ********... what the frig is "high-choice beef"?
>
> My ass is HIGH-CHOICE BEEF, but it ain't Prime Rib... you see any purple
USDA
> grade markings transversing the crack of my ass, eh?
>
> "Proof" means a corroborative reference that is generally highly regarded,
NOT
> some unknown idiot's editorialized opinion

So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it Prime Rib at least fourty years
before the USDA Grading? And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?

> prime rib The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is
actually
> a *RIB ROAST*. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest
USDA
> beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef, hallmarked by even
marbling and
> a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime beef makes it past the better
hotels
> and restaurants or prestige butchers. The best grade of beef generally
found in
> supermarkets is USDA Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib" is how rib
roast
> is often labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd
> edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

This is not just the authors opinion but an uneducated one at that.

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

"Mr. Wizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it Prime Rib at least fourty years
> before the USDA Grading? And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?

Totally irrelevant. This is like saying that if a sous-chef at Locke-Ober's in 1890 called a
fledgling sparkling wine from New York "Champagne" all sparkling wines have to be called Champagne
forever. Utter nonsense.

pavane

"Curandera" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the
USDA
> has viewed it and marks it so?

The designation "Prime" in reference to beef indeed exists only in the USA as a legal
definition, so yes, what you are saying is true. People from any other country can call a cut of
beef "prime" without stepping on the legal definitions used by their countries. Not true in the
US. Think about it.

pavane

pavane wrote:
> "Curandera" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the USDA has viewed it and
>>marks it so?
>
> The designation "Prime" in reference to beef indeed exists only in the USA as a legal definition,
> so yes, what you are saying is true. People from any other country can call a cut of beef "prime"
> without stepping on the legal definitions used by their countries. Not true in the US. Think
> about it.

Think nothing. This is apples, oranges and nonsense.

The grade "prime" is an American designation and is used as a categorical description of certain
physical characteristics of the beef. It's not an absolute but is subject to judgement by the
inspector.

There is no package marked by the USDA as "prime rib." That's the name of a cut and never marked as
such. They also don't mark rib eyes, sirloins, filets or any other cut.

"Prime rib" doesn't have to be "prime" grade. Like "Chef's choice" beef tips on a menu don't have to
be "choice" grade.

Pastorio

pavane wrote:

> "Mr. Wizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it Prime Rib at least fourty years
>>before the USDA Grading? And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?
>>
> Totally irrelevant. This is like saying that if a sous-chef at Locke-Ober's in 1890 called a
> fledgling sparkling wine from New York "Champagne" all sparkling wines have to be called Champagne
> forever. Utter nonsense.

It's a lousy analogy. The name "prime rib" was in common currency well before the idea of grading
for quality or even meat inspection. It's a confusion that has stood the test of time, explanation,
and formal definition. Generally amongst a group of artificially fastidious pedants.

"Prime rib" (two words used as a single name for a cut/dish) is recognized in the industry as such.
Every meatcutter knows what that means. Every chef. Every restaurant owner. Every trade association.
The USDA. Cattle ranchers. The consuming public, most of whom don't know about meat grades (If they
did would they buy pre-packaged meats at Wal-Mart and other supermarkets?).

"Prime" grade meat (one word used as a descriptor) is recognized as a totally different subject by
everyone in the commercial chain. No professionals are confused about the fact that the same word
appears in two different contexts.

It's like goat's milk and soy milk. And coconut milk. And almond milk. And the milk of human
kindness. And the land of milk and honey. And that stuff that comes from cows.

And milking a usenet thread well beyond any rational conclusion from the sheer stubbornness of not
understanding what the people who defined all this actually said and continue to say. The
organizations that oversee the trade in beef. The government agencies that define cuts. The cutters
who have specific technical names for their cuts. The restaurant operators who write menus based on
long history.

And to further confound the hair-splitters, prime rib can also be referred to as a "standing rib
roast." Imagine the distress amongst the populace when that comes out. <gasp> Home cooks use that
expression most often (you'll have to look very far and very wide to find it on a restaurant menu)
because it's not the whole section, merely a cut from it. A few ribs, not the entire piece. And,
typically, it's called that because the bones are still in it and make it possible to stand. That's
what meat retailers call if because they know that home cooks call it that when they cook it.

Food service operators generally cook them lying (bone side) down, whether they have bones (called a
109 in the trade) or not (called a 112, but there are others as well). More can fit into the oven
and the fat cap protects the meat better. Keeps it more juicy and lets more of it be red.

Pastorio