Bottom Bracket Woes: Get a Facer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Plaugher

Never take your bike to Nashbar or one of those big internet warehouses to get the BB shell faced.
Use your local bike shop instead. Or, if you want to invest a little and save money on all your
future facing, check out this tool I have on ebay: The VAR 380C, as seen in many a LBS. Works with
all kinds of BB shells, and with greased and non-greased tapers. Also octolink, ISIS, I suppose even
10 speed Dura Ace. May even work with 11 speed Campy! http://tinyurl.com/zknc Brian Plaugher

Brian-<< Never take your bike to Nashbar or one of those big internet warehouses to get the BB shell
faced. >><BR><BR>

Copt to Bicardi-

<< Or, if you want to invest a little and save money on all your future facing, check out this tool
I have on ebay: The VAR 380C, as seen in many a LBS. Works with all kinds of BB shells, >><BR><BR>

Well, sort of. The tool pictured doesn't have a cutter, just the handles and no BB guildes either,
which is really needed and come in the 4 threadings.

It is for a BB shell and of course, doesn't care what kind of Bb yo are gonna put in there.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

>It is for a BB shell and of course, doesn't care what kind of Bb yo are gonna put in there.

It doesn't, Peter? Mine is so particular... Phil Brown

On 16 Dec 2003 18:00:52 -0800 [email protected] (Brian Plaugher)
wrote:

>Never take your bike to Nashbar or one of those big internet warehouses to get the BB shell faced.
>Use your local bike shop instead. Or, if you want to invest a little and save money on all your
>future facing, check out this tool I have on ebay: The VAR 380C, as seen in many a LBS.

Why did you separate the tool into 2 pieces when you placed it in auction? Seems kind of petty to
sell the cutter separately from the rest of the tool when you know that whoever gets the first one
will have to buy the second one to make his first purchase usable.

Personally, I would be interested, but not under these circumstances.

-
-----------------------------------------------
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

Originally posted by Jim Adney
On 16 Dec 2003 18:00:52 -0800 [email protected] (Brian Plaugher)
wrote:

>Never take your bike to Nashbar or one of those big internet warehouses to get the BB shell faced.
>Use your local bike shop instead. Or, if you want to invest a little and save money on all your
>future facing, check out this tool I have on ebay: The VAR 380C, as seen in many a LBS.

Why did you separate the tool into 2 pieces when you placed it in auction? Seems kind of petty to
sell the cutter separately from the rest of the tool when you know that whoever gets the first one
will have to buy the second one to make his first purchase usable.

Personally, I would be interested, but not under these circumstances.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

This is a good tactic to use to really drive up the prive of the complimentary part. For example, you buy the first part. Then knowing you actually need the second part or else the whole thing is useless, you are stuck bidding more than you would normally bid in order to get both parts.

Its like if you have purchased a 1964 Ford Mustang, but the buyer wanted to sell the engine separately after you bought the car. Think you can get that engine anywhere else? Nope, the seller has an automatic monopoly on the part and the part skyrockets in price because you MUST have it, or what's the point?

Hey, I stumped the band! Peter, who is seldom mislead, noted corrrectly that the cutter head is not
with the tool (as did one other person); I separated them for the auction because I recently bought
a similar tool which was sold that way. BUT this model VAR has unthreaded guides which ARE included.
It is a slightly less precise tool, not being held in by the BB threads, but it is all there (except
cutter head, also on auction), and works on all shells. Brian Plaugher

Status
Not open for further replies.