Need help with what size

jonlsu

Feb 5, 2008
I want to get a mountain bike, and I'm 6'6 about 215lbs. I'm new to the whole size thing. I've only ridden bikes from Walmart. I've seen bikes that say XL and XXL frames and then others that say numbers in inches. Can anyone give me some advice on about what size I need. I don't want to spend a fortune either 3 to 6oo. Any help would be appreciated.;)

Go to a local independently owned bicycle shop in your area. Don't stop at just one shop try a few if you have access to them in your area. Don't just go by which shop will give you the best price. Make sure the employee's RIDE bikes and will take time to answer all of your questions. It is very tough to recommend a size because all manufactures size frames a little differently, even the same brand will have different size specs depending on the model such as Trek 6000 ( which I own ) will have a different geometry than say a Trek 4300 in the same size. Be honest with the bike shop about what kind of rider you are and they can find the perfect bike that will fit both you and your budget.

jonlsu said:
I want to get a mountain bike, and I'm 6'6 about 215lbs. I'm new to the whole size thing. I've only ridden bikes from Walmart.
At your size you're not going to get a good fit at Wal~Mart. I'd even bet that with your weight and power that you'd soon destroy anything they'd sell you.

After figuring out your size, to save money look for clearance sales, used bikes, craigslist, and ebay. I also recommend Performance Bike for good inexpensive mail order stuff (www.performancebike.com).