Riding the Tour de France

sportz321

May 16, 2011
Hi All,

I'm extremely eager to ride a couple of the TDF stages this year but am not sure if this is even possible and so was hoping to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm not looking to ride as part of a package tour thing as these seem pretty expensive.

Is there any way of riding behind the main group and along the course and do people do this? Obviously I would be miles behind everyone else so I wouldn't possibly get in their way but is there anything stopping the public riding behind on the day?

Thanks for any responses.

James

thanks for that, I have looked at the etape stages but I guess my question is; can you actually just tag along on the back of any stage? Or are you prohibited to do it?

I'm particularly interested in the Dinan to Lisieux stage as this passes directly by a relative and would be very easy to get to and from home!

after the caravan passes all spectators pick up their cars, motorhomes or bicycles and go home, so if you like to ride on a packed up road and traffic jams yes you can, however after the early kilometers or towards the middle of the stage there are less people on the roadside so that would be easier to do.

Originally Posted by sportz321 .

thanks for that, I have looked at the etape stages but I guess my question is; can you actually just tag along on the back of any stage? Or are you prohibited to do it?

I'm particularly interested in the Dinan to Lisieux stage as this passes directly by a relative and would be very easy to get to and from home!

As vspa said, technically you can. On the flat stages it shouldn't be that difficult but in the big mountains, especially the key mountains towards the end of a stage you can pretty much forget the idea of going anywhere fast. On roads originally built for sporadic use, getting only 10,000 people off the side of a hill would be a challenge - getting the silly numbers of people of the side of hills that the Tour sees these days is just a nightmare. On a finish like Luz Ardiden, if you wanted to get off the hillside on the same day as the stage then expect about a 6 hour, 10km drive, to get from near the top to the bottom. Lots of folks just pitch a tent and keep the beers flowing.

The stage you asked about shouldn't be too bad. A few Cat 3 and 4 hills in the Normandy region shouldn't provide major traffic nightmares and even in already cycling friendly France, everyone gives all the cyclists a shout and a bit more leeway on the roads during Tour time.