Rice digestion?

Cubit

Guest
I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?

The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25 pound bag of rice. I figure it
would take months for me to cook and eat it all, and it was cheap, under $5. My concern is that a
disaster or famine could include an interruption of utilities. Cooking the rice could be an
insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat the rice raw. Would it pass through my system
undigested, or is the body powerful enough to break it down?

Eat some. If you have turds with white spots in tehm, it goes undigested. Actually, I suspect that
it will be digested.

Jeff

"Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?
>

> The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25 pound
bag
> of rice. I figure it would take months for me to cook and eat it all, and it was cheap, under $5.
> My concern is that a disaster or famine could include an interruption of utilities. Cooking the
> rice could be an insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat the rice raw. Would
it
> pass through my system undigested, or is the body powerful enough to break it down?

"Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?
>

> The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25 pound
bag
> of rice. I figure it would take months for me to cook and eat it all, and it was cheap, under $5.
> My concern is that a disaster or famine could include an interruption of utilities. Cooking the
> rice could be an insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat the rice raw. Would
it
> pass through my system undigested, or is the body powerful enough to break it down?

Well, at least soak it in water for 4-8 hours: that will make it more digestible. Why did you choose
a bag of rice for your "emergency supply of food"? That's not a very prudent or practical choice.

Cubit writes:

> I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?

Yes, it can. It's just starch with a bit of fiber.

Cooking the rice tenderizes it and speeds digestion, but uncooked rice is quite digestible as well.
If you have water and heat, though, you'll get better results by cooking it at least a bit.

> The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25 pound bag of rice. I figure it
> would take months for me to cook and eat it all, and it was cheap, under $5. My concern is that a
> disaster or famine could include an interruption of utilities. Cooking the rice could be an
> insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat the rice raw. Would it pass through my system
> undigested, or is the body powerful enough to break it down?

You'd digest most of it. Some of it might get through undigested. It would still be a good source of
food. If you could soak it in water first (if clean water were available), that would help, cooked
or not. If you don't get it wet, your digestive system will have to do that, so it works out to the
same water requirement either way.

George W. Cherry writes:

> Why did you choose a bag of rice for your "emergency supply of food"? That's not a very prudent or
> practical choice.

What's imprudent or impractical about it? It keeps for a long time, it provides plenty of calories
and some fiber, and it's easy to prepare (and it can be eaten raw in a pinch). Several billion
people eat rice regularly and it seems to suit them quite well.

Thank you.

I didn't think to soak it for a while before eating.

"Mxsmanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cubit writes:
>
> > I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?
>
> Yes, it can. It's just starch with a bit of fiber.
>
> Cooking the rice tenderizes it and speeds digestion, but uncooked rice is quite digestible as
> well. If you have water and heat, though, you'll get better results by cooking it at least a bit.
>
> > The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25 pound
bag
> > of rice. I figure it would take months for me to cook and eat it all,
and
> > it was cheap, under $5. My concern is that a disaster or famine could include an interruption of
> > utilities. Cooking the rice could be an insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat the
> > rice raw. Would
it
> > pass through my system undigested, or is the body powerful enough to
break
> > it down?
>
> You'd digest most of it. Some of it might get through undigested. It would still be a good source
> of food. If you could soak it in water first (if clean water were available), that would help,
> cooked or not. If you don't get it wet, your digestive system will have to do that, so it works
> out to the same water requirement either way.
>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

Possibly soak in water and steep in sunlight like a cold tea.

"Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:MJtVb.21432$%[email protected]...
> Thank you.
>
> I didn't think to soak it for a while before eating.
>

> "Mxsmanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cubit writes:
> >
> > > I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?
> >
> > Yes, it can. It's just starch with a bit of fiber.
> >
> > Cooking the rice tenderizes it and speeds digestion, but uncooked rice is quite digestible
> > as well. If you have water and heat, though, you'll get better results by cooking it at
> > least a bit.
> >
> > > The reason I am asking is that my emergency supply of food is a 25
pound
> bag
> > > of rice. I figure it would take months for me to cook and eat it all,
> and
> > > it was cheap, under $5. My concern is that a disaster or famine could include an interruption
> > > of utilities. Cooking the rice could be an insurmountable problem. Thus, I guess, I would eat
> > > the rice raw.
Would
> it
> > > pass through my system undigested, or is the body powerful enough to
> break
> > > it down?
> >
> > You'd digest most of it. Some of it might get through undigested. It would still be a good
> > source of food. If you could soak it in water first (if clean water were available), that would
> > help, cooked or not. If you don't get it wet, your digestive system will have to do that, so it
> > works out to the same water requirement either way.
> >
> > --
> > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me
directly.

Once upon a time, our fellow Cubit rambled on about "Re: Rice digestion?." Our champion De-
Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>> I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?

Aaackk! You mean that you are actually supposed to cook rice?

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

Once upon a time, our fellow Mxsmanic rambled on about "Re: Rice digestion?." Our champion De-
Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>Several billion people eat rice regularly and it seems to suit them quite well.

Yeah, ...Especially for those those who like to distill it!

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:30:21 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm wondering if the body can digest uncooked rice?

In very small most probably, yes.

But they swell in stomach, so be careful.

A worker I met as a very little child (he died very old when I was about 7 year old) was very found
of rice porridge and just after 2. WW, he, as many other got a ration of porridge rice (round,
glutinous rice) of which he of course did make a portion of porridge, but did not wait until
properly boiled before he ate everything. In the evening he was heard by neighbours, laying on the
floor, fighting with big stomach pains, uttering, "if I ever could get rid of at least one rice
grain!". He had filled his stomach, and afterwards, the rice continued to swell and overfilled and
stretched his stomach terribly.

Alf Christophersen writes:

> But they swell in stomach, so be careful.

Rice swells very little when cooked or hydrated. Just look at cooked rice, and you'll see.

The tales of rice swelling in the stomach are urban legends, usually told about birds rather than
people, but equally inaccurate in both cases.

Says the blind man (and troll)