Italian Salad Dressing - A Question

Gary

Guest
I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well.
I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of solids in
the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps of the
powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I alter
the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids (assuming I
want all the flavors)?

Thanks in advance!

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:56:57 GMT, Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Use a little finely chopped fresh garlic and onions instead
of the powders? Tastes better too.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could
understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Make it in a blender.

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Or you could do it simply- rub salad bowl with cut clove of
garlic. Add some chopped green onions to your salad greens.
Toss with Olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.. some
parmesan is nice too. Maybe a few herbs adn spices to taste.
Forget premixing anything. Usually the proportion is 2-3 T
olive oil to 1 T vinegar. Goomba

Mix up the oil and the spices first - then _slowly_ add the
olive oil while whisking like crazy.

Adding a little mustard will help keep the oil and vinegar
together, but maybe that's too French for what you want.

----------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
42.8"

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Mix the water/powders/vinegars first. That should dissolve
the powders. Then mix in the oil.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
>balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
>well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
>solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
>of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
>alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
>(assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
>Thanks in advance!

<rj

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Follow the Good Seasons example.

1. Add the dry
2. Add the vinegar
3. Add the water (optional)
4. Shake like hell (or mix)
5. Add the oil
6. Shake again.
7. Serve

Dimitri

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:46:33 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

> Forget premixing anything.

Hence the presence of oil and balsamico on restaurant tables
in Italy, rather than a dressing already made up.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could
understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

Mix up the oil and the spices first - then _slowly_ add the
olive oil while
: whisking like crazy.

BZZZZT! Mix up the _water_ and the spices first - then
_slowly_ add the olive oil while whisking like crazy.

><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil,
>>water, balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders,
>>shaken well.

What makes you think that balsamic vinegar is low carb? ---=
BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So
I'm using up what I have and will switch over to either red
wine vinegar or to plain old white vinegar.

The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating
the balsamic dressing (or plain balsamic).

On 18 Mar 2004 15:56:06 GMT, [email protected]
(PENMART01) wrote:

>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil,
>>>water, balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders,
>>>shaken well.
>
>What makes you think that balsamic vinegar is low carb? ---
>= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
>NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
>devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs.
> So I'm using up what I have and will switch over to either
> red wine vinegar or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating
> the balsamic dressing (or plain balsamic).

Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick
with the balsamic, or at least just even it out with wine
vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich taste to this type of
salad dressing.

Making it in a blender or food processor will give a
smoother consistency. I make a similar salad dressing and
add a little guar gum powder as an emulsfier.

I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big
head...looked like a mug of beer. I've set it out to stand.
I hope it will go flat.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:23:56 -0800, "Sam D."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:eek:[email protected]...
>> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs.
>> So I'm using up what I have and will switch over to
>> either red wine vinegar or to plain old white vinegar.
>>
>> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating
>> the balsamic dressing (or plain balsamic).
>>

>Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick
>with the balsamic, or at least just even it out with wine
>vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich taste to this type of
>salad dressing.
>
>Making it in a blender or food processor will give a
>smoother consistency. I make a similar salad dressing and
>add a little guar gum powder as an emulsfier.

In article <[email protected]>, Gary
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs.
> So I'm using up what I have and will switch over to either
> red wine vinegar or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating
> the balsamic dressing (or plain balsamic).

I don't think that there would be a whole lot of carbs in a
serving of balsamic vinegar. It isn't in my nutrition
database, but cidar vinegar has 5.9g of carbs for 100g, and
distilled vinegar has 5g of carbs for 100g, so I would guess
that switching to plain old white vinegar (which is what
distilled vinegar is) would make a negligible difference in
carbs. I would guess that 100g is about 4oz. Balsamic
vinegar *is* red wine vinegar, just a specific type, so I
can't imagine that switching those would help at all.

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I don't think that there would be a whole lot of carbs in
> a serving of balsamic vinegar

Three grams per tablespoon, according to the bottle I have.
Whether one considers that a lot depends on one's daily carb
allotment - those on induction are only allowed 20 grams of
carbs a day, for example.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big
head...looked like a mug of beer. I've set it out to stand.
I hope it will go flat.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:22:39 GMT, "pavane"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
>> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
>> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
>> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are
>> clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved properly.
>> How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
>> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>>
>Make it in a blender.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:29:41 GMT, "Dimitri"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Follow the Good Seasons example.
>
>1. Add the dry
>2. Add the vinegar
>3. Add the water (optional)
>4. Shake like hell (or mix)
>5. Add the oil
>6. Shake again.
>7. Serve

The correct order is 231456. I have 4 different Good Seasons
right now and none say that the water is optional. I think
the little bit of water (1.5tbs?) is crucial to rehydrate
the spices/herbs/veggies properly.

-sw

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water,
> balsamic vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken
> well. I've noticed that there are fairly large clumps of
> solids in the finished dressing. I imagine they are clumps
> of the powders which haven't dissolved properly. How can I
> alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the solids
> (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Try adding a bit of mustard powder to it, about 1/4 tsp.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:29:41 GMT, "Dimitri"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Follow the Good Seasons example.
> >
> >1. Add the dry
> >2. Add the vinegar
> >3. Add the water (optional)
> >4. Shake like hell (or mix)
> >5. Add the oil
> >6. Shake again.
> >7. Serve
>
> The correct order is 231456. I have 4 different Good
> Seasons right now and none say that the water is optional.
> I think the little bit of water (1.5tbs?) is crucial to
> rehydrate the spices/herbs/veggies properly.
>
> -sw

Optional for his recipe - to me Balsamic only is too
sweet to make a good salad dressing, ergo the water would
be optional.

Dimitri

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:23:34 GMT, Gary <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big
> head...looked like a mug of beer. I've set it out to
> stand. I hope it will go flat.

Did you blend it enough and did you use the proper amounts
of ingredients? I always blend it and have never end up with
anything that resembles a mug of beer.