Avocado Content Question

Richard'S ~Ja~

Guest
I have always loved the spoon eating of salt & peppered
avocados, though when I was a mere tot (several years ago),
eating just half of one could make my mouth feel odd and my
throat would begin to feel as though swelling shut. For lack
of a possibly more proper way to describe it, I always
thought of it as tasting very earthy. Over the years this
slight discomfort has greatly lessened, but it is still
noticeable. What is there in an avocado (and also when
having most any amount of roasted nuts) that causes this,
and can anyone here offer answer?

Picky ~JA~

[email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) was heard mumbling
something about...

> I have always loved the spoon eating of salt & peppered
> avocados, though when I was a mere tot (several years
> ago), eating just half of one could make my mouth feel odd
> and my throat would begin to feel as though swelling shut.
> For lack of a possibly more proper way to describe it, I
> always thought of it as tasting very earthy. Over the
> years this slight discomfort has greatly lessened, but it
> is still noticeable. What is there in an avocado (and also
> when having most any amount of roasted nuts) that causes
> this, and can anyone here offer answer?

Sounds to me like you have the same thing I do... an allergy
to avocados. If the throat swelling is followed by nausea
and occasionally heaving, then I suggest joining the
abstinance alliance.

However, I can eat nuts like they're going out of style with
no problem, so who knows? I recommend you go to an allergist
and get tested.

--
"Mogu is a tiny golem wife ... and your best friend ... and
your worst nightmare."

The Wiblovian Institute of Kibology -
http://www.aros.net/~jchapman

> Wiblur writes:
>
>[email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) was heard
>mumbling something about...
>
>> I have always loved the spoon eating of salt & peppered
>> avocados, though when I was a mere tot (several years
>> ago), eating just half of one could make my mouth feel
>> odd and my throat would begin to feel as though swelling
>> shut. For lack of a possibly more proper way to describe
>> it, I always thought of it as tasting very earthy. Over
>> the years this slight discomfort has greatly lessened,
>> but it is still noticeable. What is there in an avocado
>> (and also when having most any amount of roasted nuts)
>> that causes this, and can anyone here offer answer?
>
>Sounds to me like you have the same thing I do... an
>allergy to avocados. If the throat swelling is followed by
>nausea and occasionally heaving, then I suggest joining the
>abstinance alliance.
>
>However, I can eat nuts like they're going out of style
>with no problem, so who knows? I recommend you go to an
>allergist and get tested.

Avocado, especially it's skin and pit, is high in oxalic
acid... similar to rhubarb... you are not allergic, oxalic
acid is toxic, some people have a low threshold. Never ever
feed avocado to pet birds, dogs, and cats.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sheldon and Wilbur, thank you for thoughtful response. I am
sure I have no real allergy, but possibly just some sort of
sensitivity? The only ill effect I have with avocados and
nuts is a tingly inner mouth feeling and a very slight
swelling within the throat region, both of which last only
an hour or so. Not the slightest bit of nausea, and no other
after effects at all. It's a bit difficult to convey how my
inner mouth feels while eating them, other than to say it
feels dusty-tingly inside. I do enjoy both the 'cados and
nuts, having eaten both for more than 50 years with nothing
but that odd, earthy sensation along with them. Rather
puzzling, hey!

Picky ~JA~

I think you have a misconception about what an allergy is.
That sounds to me like a pretty classic case of an allergy -
which is, in fact, and increased sensitivity to a trigger.
Swelling of the throat is a tell-tale reaction, and it is
supposed to happen quickly (getting slightly technical, what
is likely happening is that your immune system is hyper-
charged to react to avocados and nuts, and mast cells are
causing local inflammation). There are also *degrees* of
sensitivity. Your reaction is relatively mild - in people
with more severe reactions, the result can be life-
threatening as the throat swells so much, breathing is
compromised.

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:

> I am sure I have no real allergy, but possibly just some
> sort of sensitivity?

They mean the exact same thing with differrent volume
settings. An allergy is a sensitivity shouted. A sensitivity
is an allergy whispered.

> The only ill effect I have with avocados and nuts is a
> tingly inner mouth feeling and a very slight swelling
> within the throat region, both of which last only an
> hour or so.

That's a classic symptom of food allergies. You do NOT want
to give it a chance to build up to the point where it swells
your throat shut and you die.

> I do enjoy both the 'cados and nuts

Food intolerances come individually. Being allergic to
avocadoes says nothing about nuts.

"Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
> >
> > I am sure I have no real allergy, but possibly just some
> > sort of sensitivity?
>
> They mean the exact same thing with differrent volume
> settings. An allergy is a sensitivity shouted. A
> sensitivity is an allergy whispered.

That's completely false. An allergic reaction is a specific,
well-defined physiological response. It can be mild or
severe, and can be caused by many different things, but it
is still very specific. The term "sensitivity" does not have
a precise medical meaning, but generally it means a reaction
to something. You can be sensitive to something without it
being an allergic reaction.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Wiblur writes:
>>
>>[email protected] (Richard's ~JA~) was heard
>>mumbling something about...
>>

>>>I have always loved the spoon eating of salt & peppered
>>>avocados, though when I was a mere tot (several years
>>>ago), eating just half of one could make my mouth feel
>>>odd and my throat would begin to feel as though swelling
>>>shut. For lack of a possibly more proper way to describe
>>>it, I always thought of it as tasting very earthy. Over
>>>the years this slight discomfort has greatly lessened,
>>>but it is still noticeable. What is there in an avocado
>>>(and also when having most any amount of roasted nuts)
>>>that causes this, and can anyone here offer answer?
>>
>>Sounds to me like you have the same thing I do... an
>>allergy to avocados. If the throat swelling is followed by
>>nausea and occasionally heaving, then I suggest joining
>>the abstinance alliance.
>>
>>However, I can eat nuts like they're going out of style
>>with no problem, so who knows? I recommend you go to an
>>allergist and get tested.
>

> Avocado, especially it's skin and pit, is high in oxalic
> acid... similar to rhubarb... you are not allergic, oxalic
> acid is toxic, some people have a low threshold. Never
> ever feed avocado to pet birds, dogs, and cats.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
> UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
> would be devoid of all meaning were it without
> tribulation."

I have heard that parsley kills birds. I'm not one that is
superstitious or takes rumors seriously, but I don't want to
experiment on my daughter's cockatiels.

Have you heard of this?

Regards,