Continental Vertical Pros

Brett Jaffee

Guest
Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly recommending
these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else who's
used them, though. Any thoughts?

BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

Brett Jaffee wrote:
> Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly
> recommending these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I
> really like). The Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't
> know anyone else who's used them, though. Any thoughts?
>
> BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky
> trails.

I use both (different bikes). Both perform very well but the Panaracers are
the best tire on the market, IMHO. There are a lot of people in this group
who use them. Some people compain about their inability to shed mud, but I
have never had that problem. The contis have a wider spaced tread, IIRC.
They also seem to be slightly heavier.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly recommending
> these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
> Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else who's
> used them, though. Any thoughts?
>
> BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

I use them on my SS. When you set them up with the correct PSI for the
trail(s) that you ride, they stick to the ground like glue. Simply awesome
traction and if you use the 2.3's they provide nice suspension on the bike.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly recommending
> these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
> Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else who's
> used them, though. Any thoughts?
>
> BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

If you are a heavy rider, you will not like them in high speed
cornering on hardpack. They are squirrely because the knobs are so
small. Try the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, which is pretty tough and
relatively light (at 810g).

JD

> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly

recommending
> > these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
> > Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else

who's
> > used them, though. Any thoughts?
> >
> > BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

> If you are a heavy rider, you will not like them in high speed
> cornering on hardpack. They are squirrely because the knobs are so
> small. Try the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, which is pretty tough and
> relatively light (at 810g).

Are these the ones with thick sidewalls? Both my Motoraptor and Vertical
Pros are 620 grams...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly recommending
> these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
> Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else who's
> used them, though. Any thoughts?
>
> BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

I have used them on an i-Drive, Moab HT and I am about to put a set on my
Bullit to switch to when I trail ride.

I always use the 2.3" version and I have always been very happy with the
traction and weight. Carla is right about the PSI comment. They are really
good trail bike tires.

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Anyone familiar with this tire? Someone I know is constantly

> recommending
> > > these to me over my usual Panaracer Fire XCs (which I really like). The
> > > Continental costs about twice as much, and I don't know anyone else

> who's
> > > used them, though. Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > BTW, I ride in very dry conditions, mostly on hardpack and rocky trails.

> > If you are a heavy rider, you will not like them in high speed
> > cornering on hardpack. They are squirrely because the knobs are so
> > small. Try the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, which is pretty tough and
> > relatively light (at 810g).

> Are these the ones with thick sidewalls? Both my Motoraptor and Vertical
> Pros are 620 grams...

Your Motoraptors must be the 2.2s, or you have been misinformed.

JD

JD wrote:
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> news:<[email protected]>...

>> recommending

>> who's

>>> If you are a heavy rider, you will not like them in high speed
>>> cornering on hardpack. They are squirrely because the knobs are so
>>> small. Try the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, which is pretty tough and
>>> relatively light (at 810g).

>> Are these the ones with thick sidewalls? Both my Motoraptor and
>> Vertical Pros are 620 grams...

> Your Motoraptors must be the 2.2s, or you have been misinformed.

These numbers were read off my digital postal scale. I'm certain it's
accurate, as my Hutchy Python Airlights are ~480g as advertised... Stem
weights and derailleur weights are all accurate, also.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training