145 psi of pain

On 3/5/05 11:20 pm, in article [email protected], "Jon
Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>> Are you planning on doing the Wellbank one in June?
>> I will be but am dithering between the 100 and the 200. I haven't had much
>> chance to get out on the bike (too much gardening right now getting the
>> Allotment going) so am a bit nervous about the 200. Especially with a quoted
>> near 3000m of climbing (but no AAA points).

> Hadn't clocked that one. I'll add it to the list. There's another by the
> same organiser starting out of Forfar on 22nd May. A 200 with 1 AAA
> point. Also, a little closer to home for me, is the Galashiels 306 on
> the 28th May.
>
> My longest riding to date (Prior to the century obviously) was 2 50 mile
> day rides in France. I was pleasantly surprised by my level of fitness
> given how little I've been doing recently.
>
> Just noticed that there are two shorter rides out of Wellbank on the
> following day. Hmm.

I've got the Saturday booked and can't make the sunday. SO it is just a
question of whether to go for the 100 or the 200.

According to the luminaries on teh audax list, you should expect an average
'flat' 200km to have 1600m of climbing just from normal rolling countryside
(8m per km). So that doesn't sound too bad.

I saw the Forfar one and decided that it is too soon and too hard.. Most of
my spare time is taken up with geting the allotment going but that should be
dropping to maintenance levels in a couple of weeks.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Are you planning on doing the Wellbank one in June?
> I will be but am dithering between the 100 and the 200. I haven't had much
> chance to get out on the bike (too much gardening right now getting the
> Allotment going) so am a bit nervous about the 200. Especially with a quoted
> near 3000m of climbing (but no AAA points).

Hadn't clocked that one. I'll add it to the list. There's another by the
same organiser starting out of Forfar on 22nd May. A 200 with 1 AAA
point. Also, a little closer to home for me, is the Galashiels 306 on
the 28th May.

My longest riding to date (Prior to the century obviously) was 2 50 mile
day rides in France. I was pleasantly surprised by my level of fitness
given how little I've been doing recently.

Just noticed that there are two shorter rides out of Wellbank on the
following day. Hmm.

Jon

On 3/5/05 10:33 pm, in article
[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <BE9CE906.F967%[email protected]>, David Martin
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On 3/5/05 9:26 am, in article [email protected],
>> "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I ended up using the QR rack with a Tesco's carrier bag bungee-ed to
>>> the top of it. Anything would have been an improvement. Especially as
>>> I lost a bungee half-way. But I intend to work hell-for-leather to
>>> get a bent back on the road before the next audax so as to solve this
>>> problem properly.

>> Are you planning on doing the Wellbank one in June?
>> I will be but am dithering between the 100 and the 200.

> The 200 is 2600 metres of climb, which is a thousand metres more than we
> did on Sunday. That is one sod of a lot of climbing; I doubt I could
> physically do it. I'm definitely up for a 200 later this summer, but
> not one with too many hills.

Part of it depends on how the climbing is measured. There is no objective
standard (cf 'how longis the coastline of britain'). So if you measure by
counting 10m contours you will get a different answer than if you take
height difference at 500m intervals, and again different if you can measure
every metre using electronic mapping software.

I'll email and find out a bit more af the route before committing..

...d

Simon Brooke wrote:

> The 200 is 2600 metres of climb, which is a thousand metres more than
> we did on Sunday. That is one sod of a lot of climbing; I doubt I
> could physically do it. I'm definitely up for a 200 later this
> summer, but not one with too many hills.

Last Monday's 200 claimed over 2000m of of climbing. It was difficult to
see where, as with the exception of the climb through Little Baddow, there
are no mountains in Essex...

Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
<URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html>

in message <BE9E4215.FAE5%[email protected]>, David Martin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 3/5/05 10:33 pm, in article
> [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in message <BE9CE906.F967%[email protected]>, David Martin
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/5/05 9:26 am, in article
>>> [email protected], "Jon Senior"

>>> Are you planning on doing the Wellbank one in June?
>>> I will be but am dithering between the 100 and the 200.

>> The 200 is 2600 metres of climb, which is a thousand metres more than
>> we did on Sunday. That is one sod of a lot of climbing; I doubt I
>> could physically do it. I'm definitely up for a 200 later this
>> summer, but not one with too many hills.

> Part of it depends on how the climbing is measured. There is no
> objective standard (cf 'how longis the coastline of britain'). So if
> you measure by counting 10m contours you will get a different answer
> than if you take height difference at 500m intervals, and again
> different if you can measure every metre using electronic mapping
> software.
>
> I'll email and find out a bit more af the route before committing..

Well, as I say I'm definitely up for one, and would definitely prefer to
ride one where I knew some other people. So if you're going to do it
let me know.

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:41:53 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

> Went in to EBC to buy a rack pack so that I can take a reasonable amount
> on an audax without having to use a rucksack.

I bought an Altura Expandabl