2012 Tour of California

Chavez

Jul 4, 2007
Nah, it ain't the Giro, despite what Sherwen and Liggett said in the intro today (Uncle Phil called it "the greatest bike race in the world" - all due respect Phil, but you're shilling too hard), but I think we here in the US have finally gotten a stage race with some international traction.

Heckuva win by Sagan today - flatted with about 8k left, got back into the peloton and won the sprint sitting up.

even for phil, "greatest bike race in the world" is a bit of a stretch. and someday liquigas will have to recognise the talent sagan has for this stuff and begin to build a squad around him. liqui may find their stable empty very quickly if nibali decides to bolt after the season as is rumoured.

It's great that America has got a high grade international race with plenty of big name riders racing.

The greatest race in the world quip on the part of Ligget and Sherwen is silly, but don't let that deflect from what is a high calibre race.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

It's great that America has got a high grade international race with plenty of big name riders racing.

The greatest race in the world quip on the part of Ligget and Sherwen is silly, but don't let that deflect from what is a high calibre race.
Oh, I certainly won't.

I'm on the side of those who think that there's gotta be some way to work it so it doesn't overlap with the Giro - it'd ideally be nice to have it positioned like the Tour de Suisse or the Dauphine, but then it would probably cut into the field at the Classics.

Originally Posted by Chavez .

Oh, I certainly won't.

I'm on the side of those who think that there's gotta be some way to work it so it doesn't overlap with the Giro - it'd ideally be nice to have it positioned like the Tour de Suisse or the Dauphine, but then it would probably cut into the field at the Classics.
Am I correct in thinking that the Tour of California was held earlier in the season, a few years ago?

We get to see limited coverage of the ToC via Eurosport here in Europe.

Three in a row for Sagan. And with ease, I'd say.
His talent isn't news, but almost routine approach to races and victories is something extraordinary for a guy of his age.
When he matures enough to apply the same approach to the Monuments, it's going to be entertaining.

I just ain't sure if the Monuments are his limit. With 22 he's climbing good enough to develop into a GT contender too.

Hope he's working with the best people he can find, 'cause it would be shame not to exploit his whole potential.

I've followed cycling on TV for years, and consider Phil and Paul to be institutions as broadcasters, but like everyone else in sport today, they are slaves to the sponsors, promoters and the fees they're being paid. That said, I'm glad there is the extensive coverage of so many races available to watch. However, I have to say something weird is going on with this year's commentary. You can hardly hear Phil and Paul at times, and Paul seems to be missing for large parst of the broadcast. I read somewhere that they are doing two simultaneous broadcasts. Does anyone know more about this?