2400 mile trip

eskimonese

Jan 26, 2014
I'm moving down to Nashville TN for work. I live in Spokane WA. I don't have much stuff so I'm seriously considering selling most of my stuff and biking down there. I'm a pretty avid biker but haven't done anything over 60 miles. Is there anything I have to know about this long of a distance? Is it feasible or a good idea. Granted I'm 20 and in excellent shape. Thanks! Oh and I'd be taking one of those kid carriages with some stuff and mail the rest.

You don't have to sell your stuff. You can ship it to your destination.

And oh hells yeah! If I were 20 again, I would definitely take month or so and ride to Nashville.

BTW, Nashville is a crime ridden third world shithole. Buy a pistol, get your CCW permit and watch your six.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
BTW, Nashville is a crime ridden third world shithole. Buy a pistol, get your CCW permit and watch your six.
Its gonna be fiiiiine... It might be kinda nice!
big-smile.png

Look at all the blue dots with the bike shops there:
big-smile.png

Oh wait... That's not the bike shops? Hmmmmm...
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by eskimonese

I'm a pretty avid biker but haven't done anything over 60 miles. Is there anything I have to know about this long of a distance? Is it feasible or a good idea. Granted I'm 20 and in excellent shape. Thanks! Oh and I'd be taking one of those kid carriages with some stuff and mail the rest.
A trailer will make riding on roads without shoulders difficult for everyone. Don't wind up on such roads after dark.

60 miles is an easy 4 hour ride most days. Rain, mountains, and a kid carriage make the time longer. But you still have a lot of time to waste.

Plan on taking the bigger roads. The ones on state road maps.

---

I used to do such rides many years ago. Traffic was only a hassle from time to time. But now on most of the roads I used back then the traffic is much worse and there is seldom a hassle free time to ride.

Quote: But now on most of the roads I used back then the traffic is much worse and there is seldom a hassle free time to ride
Ain't that the truth. Same here in the UK.
France is calling me.
grin.png

Yeah I think it will be a killer at any age to go from 60 mlle average to 2400 miles. Building up to it and being able to maintain the average daily that you estimate before you venture it might be the best way. You just need to have the right gear and plan the set up. You get all ripped up after doing stuff like this. Its a good thing.

That's so awesome of an idea to do that! No gas money! :) You should just think about the breaks you'll need to take and where you'll go for a little break in between. And get plenty of exercise before you go on that long of a trip.

That surely would be a good and entertaining trip. Just remember to train a lot before and plan everythingcorrectly for instance where are you going to take breaks and where would you sleep. In addition, take some spare tires and maintenance tools with you.