2nd race, 1st "cat" race

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
Well, it seems that I have a bit of learning to do. There were 37 in the Cat 5s, the course was a race track that was mostly a false flat that netted us around 1300 feet of climbing for the entire 20 mile race, the temp was below 35 and it was windy as heck on the only down hill section. My expectation was that the 37 would stay mostly together and work together to pull in the break aways, if a strong break away went, I would give it a go with them and if not I would stay towards the front for a good spot at the finish. The race went NOTHING like I had imagined.

After an early attack I found myself in the front pulling him back in, I then threw out a counter attack of my own, 2 joined me, but I soon realized that I was to excited and racing stupid, plus they had no intention of working because when I slowed they did to, so we fell back into the main group. I stayed 6 or so back in the main group to try to stay out of trouble, good thing I did because before we finished the 1st lap of 8 there was the distinct banging of bikes and someone rolling in the grass 10 or so back over my right shoulder. I continued to stay 6 or so back with the same guys in front of me at this point we were putting out a pretty hard pace and I was starting to feel it a bit more than I wanted so early in the race. There were a couple of hard attacks that I did not go with because the pace was so hard I figured we would certainly get caught, but then no one seemed to want to pull them back, I would watch as they would ride away until I could not take any more and chase them down my self, problem is I would tow people back up every time. This happened at least twice, the 3rd time 3 got off of the front and got a good gap on us, I jumped hard after the attack and managed to only bring one guy, who I dropped. The break meant business this time and I had to work really hard to get on, but I did, so there were 4 of us. Problem is by the time I got on, the guy in the front (who had been hammering in the front most of the race) decided that if we were not going to work he was slowing down, I wanted to work, but I did not have it in me from just chasing. So all that work and 5 more guys caught us to make it 9, we maintained the 9 for the rest of the race, lapping some of the group who was now scattered across the track. Final lap bell rang and no attacks the 1st half, so I figured that at 4 back I was in a decent spot for a sprint finish and had just enough in me. With about 1k left the guy who had been in the front most of the time and was still in the front attacked right off of the front, I had a chance to follow him, but we were still a long way off and I thought he would never make it. He may not have if we had worked together, but everyone just took off like a bunch of crazy people and I did not have enough to make it from as far out as we were. So I gave it my all to grab a 6th place finish. Looking back I think I made quite a few mistakes, the biggest was not going with some of the breaks most importantly with the guy who had proved he was a beast by staying in the front the entire race. Had I went with him I would have at least taken 2nd, maybe even beat him out for a sprint. I hate hind sight!! Feel free to tear apart my poor strategy or lack of....

Nice job, sounds to me like you rode a very good race. It also surprisingly sounds like a classic race of attrition with enough attacks and counters from folks not interested in the typical defensive 'we all getta get to the line together' mentality of lower category races. Sure we always wonder if we could have played our cards differently either to go with the winning move or perhaps to do a bit less of the work that didn't bear fruit but to me it sounds like you made a lot of good tactical decisions and learned a ton. Top ten in your first actual sanctioned and categorized race is huge and doing it by making the key selection and staying with the leaders is also huge.

-Dave

Thanks Dave!! I guess I just thought I would stroll in to the "oh so easy" cat 5 race after and win, but those guys are no joke. I guess no one races because they are slow and are going to lose. The guy who won actually does not road race much and just bought a day license, but he is practically a professional mt. biker and won the elite division at Ice Man, a huge race in Michigan, so he was a beast on anything with pedals.

It was certainly different than I had though, I am excited though that I have some perspective now. Of course next weekend will be completely the opposite of what it was today, LOL.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .
...I just thought I would stroll in to the "oh so easy" cat 5 race after and win, but those guys are no joke. ..
Yeah, Cat 5 can be a real crapshoot in terms of who shows up. Just like the mountain biker any triathlete or high level endurance athlete that just does cycling events here and there and doesn't take out an annual license will race on one day licenses in the lowest category. So if that guy gets a hankering to race again he'll stay a cat 5 regardless of how many he wins unless he files for an annual license. And pretty much every season you get folks entering the sport with huge talent that rocket right through the categories but they still start as Cat 5's.

It can be rough, but it doesn't sound like you're going to be a Cat 5 for too long the way you're racing and even though strong folks are always moving through the categories on their way upward it does get a lot more predictable from week to week as you upgrade.

FWIW, I wouldn't second guess your tactical decisions too much. Sure, try to learn from what worked better and what didn't but you raced hard and aggressively, chased when it was in your best interest, bridged successfully to the key selection and stayed away till the end. Going with the winning move is great in hindsight and if you could have stuck his wheel without burying yourself that would have been great but a lot of those final lap solo flyers fail in the final couple of hundred meters so it's always a gamble in terms of launching your endgame. All you can do is play it as you see it. I've seen strong but newer team mates ride a race like you did today and quickly conclude they'll change to a defensive and conservative strategy and just sit in. Usually their results go the wrong direction for a while until they figure out that riding aggressively and burning matches is part of the game, the magic is in figuring out which matches are worth burning and which aren't really likely to improve your odds at the finish. More races are pretty much the only way to start figuring that out but you'll never know for certain exactly how you should play any situation as it develops but that's bike racing.

-Dave

Nice job Bgoetz. Just keep at it, and with every race you do, the confidence and experience grows bigger and bigger. I'll be doing a nice solid mix of crits, RR's, and TT's this year for sure, with 4 already in the books, (2 RR's, a weekly TT, and a weekly crit). Crit's are fun, but not as fun as TT's or RR's, IMO. I wish I would have more RR's around my area, but I don't mind driving out 2+ hours to race either.

Good luck and keep reporting back.
-Greg