527 riders at Portlands 1st ccx race of the season

Candi Murray

Guest
The Cross Crusade held its opening ccx event of the 2003 season today on the grounds of Alpenrose
Dairy in Portland. A record 527 rider came out to experience the cyclocross phenomena that is
sweeping the area. The Single Speeds and Masters Women categories experienced significant growth in
number to have one of the race organizers, Brian Witty declare tht it might be the largest single
speed ccx event in the world with 49 competitors. Can anyone else match that? Candi

>From: "Candi Murray" [email protected]

>The Cross Crusade held its opening ccx event of the 2003 season today on the grounds of Alpenrose
>Dairy in Portland. A record 527 rider came out to experience the cyclocross phenomena that is
>sweeping the area. The Single Speeds and Masters Women categories experienced significant growth in
>number to have one of the race organizers, Brian Witty declare tht it might be the largest single
>speed ccx event in the world with 49 competitors. Can anyone else match that? Candi

Way to go! For the first couple of events out here in New England we seem to be averaging about 150
racers. Bill C

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> >From: "Candi Murray" [email protected]
>
> >The Cross Crusade held its opening ccx event of the 2003 season today on the grounds of Alpenrose
> >Dairy in Portland. A record 527 rider came out to experience the cyclocross phenomena that is
> >sweeping the area. The Single Speeds and Masters Women categories experienced significant growth
> >in number to have one of the race organizers, Brian Witty declare tht it might be the largest
> >single speed ccx event in the world with 49 competitors. Can anyone else match that? Candi
>
> Way to go! For the first couple of events out here in New England we seem to be averaging about
> 150 racers. Bill C

Hi,

We're about the same here in Colorado, Bill, judging by the first three races -- two of which were
held well off the beaten path at nordic centers in Breckenridge and Winter Park. It was not uncommon
a few years ago to see 200+ racers at Boulder-Denver ClusterPlex events, and I suspect we'll be back
up there now that racing has returned to the Front Strange ... but 527 riders? Damn. I've lived in
towns with fewer people than that.

Cheers,

Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media http://www.maddogmedia.com

"Candi Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jb3gb.502011$Oz4.353914@rwcrnsc54...
> The Cross Crusade held its opening ccx event of the 2003 season today on
the
> grounds of Alpenrose Dairy in Portland. A record 527 rider came out to experience the cyclocross
> phenomena that is sweeping the area. The Single Speeds and Masters Women categories experienced
> significant growth in
number
> to have one of the race organizers, Brian Witty declare tht it might be the largest single speed
> ccx event in the world with 49 competitors. Can anyone else match that? Candi

Dumbass -

good job!

I'm guessing the only races that will compete with your numbers will be Surf City.

In article <[email protected]>, Patrick O'Grady <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:
>
>> >From: "Candi Murray" [email protected]
>>
>> >The Cross Crusade held its opening ccx event of the 2003 season today on the grounds of
>> >Alpenrose Dairy in Portland. A record 527 rider came out to experience the cyclocross phenomena
>> >that is sweeping the area. The Single Speeds and Masters Women categories experienced
>> >significant growth in number to have one of the race organizers, Brian Witty declare tht it
>> >might be the largest single speed ccx event in the world with 49 competitors. Can anyone else
>> >match that? Candi
>>
>> Way to go! For the first couple of events out here in New England we seem to be averaging about
>> 150 racers. Bill C
>
>Hi,
>
>We're about the same here in Colorado, Bill, judging by the first three races -- two of which were
>held well off the beaten path at nordic centers in Breckenridge and Winter Park. It was not
>uncommon a few years ago to see 200+ racers at Boulder-Denver ClusterPlex events, and I suspect
>we'll be back up there now that racing has returned to the Front Strange ... but 527 riders? Damn.
>I've lived in towns with fewer people than that.

Patrick,

I here Bust, CO is for sale! You get a store and a town!

Scott
--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

"scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Damn. I've lived in towns with fewer people than that.
>
> Patrick,
>
> I here Bust, CO is for sale! You get a store and a town!

Isn't Bust the souvenir shop just up Hwy 24 from Cascade?

In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

>"scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> Damn. I've lived in towns with fewer people than that.
>>
>> Patrick,
>>
>> I here Bust, CO is for sale! You get a store and a town!
>>

>Isn't Bust the souvenir shop just up Hwy 24 from Cascade?

Yes, they claim it to be "Colorado's Smallest Town". Population 2. You can buy it. I dont have
pricing info.

It's also a hot spot for state police to sit and monitor your speed.

Scott
--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

news:<[email protected]>...

> Dumbass -
>

> good job!
>

> I'm guessing the only races that will compete with your numbers will be Surf City.

They'd be hard pressed to beat that. Surf City averages about 350 racers. No special category for
singlespeeders either. They usually just jump into their regular category.

Sabine

> Hi,
>
> We're about the same here in Colorado, Bill, judging by the first three races -- two of which were
> held well off the beaten path at nordic centers in Breckenridge and Winter Park. It was not
> uncommon a few years ago to see 200+ racers at Boulder-Denver ClusterPlex events, and I suspect
> we'll be back up there now that racing has returned to the Front Strange ... but 527 riders? Damn.
> I've lived in towns with fewer people than that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media http://www.maddogmedia.com

A couple of years ago I did a fattie Masters category Cross at UMASS in New England with over 100
riders. I don't know what the total was but 500+ is damn impressive!!

Danny Callen