About to get a new Coker, have questions

tomkarches

Guest
I am about to order a new Coker Big One and have some questions :

- Why would I get the XLR street tire rather than the default button
tread?
- Both of my current unis (24,29) have 125mm cranks. Any reason for
going with the 150s?
- Handle : What has been the experience with the Coker handle?
- Brakes : I don't see an immediate need. The terrain I ride is not
that hilly and is primarily on paved road. I could always get the
brakes and put them on later. Any other factors I should consider?
- Seat post/clamp - the "both" option for seat post and clamp...does
that mean I get 2 seat posts and 2 clamps? Why would I do this?
- Are there any benefits of ordering through a dealer like Unicycle.com
rather than direct from Coker?

Thanks...looking forward to some new experiences....

--tom

--
tomkarches

I can address one of your items. You get a choice of seat posts but I
think you only get one post clamp.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
heals the disease. - Voltaire

tomkarches wrote:
> I am about to order a new Coker Big One and have some questions :
>
> - Why would I get the XLR street tire rather than the default button
> tread?
> - Both of my current unis (24,29) have 125mm cranks. Any reason for
> going with the 150s?
> - Handle : What has been the experience with the Coker handle?
> - Brakes : I don't see an immediate need. The terrain I ride is not
> that hilly and is primarily on paved road. I could always get the
> brakes and put them on later. Any other factors I should consider?
> - Seat post/clamp - the "both" option for seat post and clamp...does
> that mean I get 2 seat posts and 2 clamps? Why would I do this?
> - Are there any benefits of ordering through a dealer like Unicycle.com
> rather than direct from Coker?
>
> Thanks...looking forward to some new experiences....
>
> --tom

I just got my coker 2 weeks ago and i love it. This is my first 36er
and i picked the xlr tire and for me its working great ! smooth and
quiet. I did get the bar with the uni and it works very well, i like
the adjustabilty of it. I opted not to get the brakes but after i rode
it i thought i should get some. So off to the LBS and picked up a set
for 20 bucks. i mounted the lever to my right handle so far i like it
out their.The only thing i didnt do was buy the 125s, now i wish i
would of spent the 25 bucks more as i feel the need for shorter cranks
very soon. The 150s are nice to start on !
MY 2 CENTS !

P.S I ordered mine from coker and was shiped very quickly!

--
sxbud138

Just wanted to add my $.02

I got the Coker V2 back in February in anticipation of RTL. In five
short months I have:

* Replaced the saddle with a KH free-ride.
* Trued the wheel which was poorly built.
* Replaced the seat post clamp because it stripped out.
* Replaced the pedals.
* Purchased new crank arms without the q-factor.
* Buffed off the rust from my hub (multiple times).
* Treated the rust on the frame (you're not likely to have this problem
with the aluminum Big One).
* Replaced the crappy bearings. Check out this photo of the stock
Coker bearings. http://tinyurl.com/5pqkgx And, no... I did not over
tighten the cups.

In my opinion, the parts on the Coker unicycles are sub-standard. If
you can wait a bit longer I'd suggest holding out for the KH 36.

--
capuni

My 'Ride The Lobster Photo Album'
(http://gallery.mac.com/perrywoodin#100208)

capuni wrote:

> * Replaced the crappy bearings. Check out this photo of the stock
> Coker bearings. http://tinyurl.com/5pqkgx And, no... I did not over
> tighten the cups.

Yeah, I remember seeing those come off.

--