Accelerade side effects (Insomnia)

Trigger74

Aug 3, 2004
I've been using this product for 2 years and it has helped me a lot, but in the begining my intestines rebelled against it (Lime flavor & old package).
Now I am using the Orange flavor and the new style package and the intestinal rebelion has stopped completely. I had heard that the protein in this drink sometimes upsets the gastro-intestinal track varying from person to person. Is it possible that they are using a different type of protein now?

However, what took me to start this topic was a new side effect.
During the past year I cycled mostly during the morning, but this year I added a few late afternoon practices of 30 miles during the week days. It turns out that I can't fall asleep until 3am after I do this practice.
At first I thought that the late exercise may have put by body on high alert, but after changing the drink from Accelerade to water I had no problem sleeping. Offcourse that was for testing purposes...and I can't produce the same amount of effort without cramping if I don't take Accelerade.

Has anybody experienced insomnia after using this product just a few hours before bed time?

Well, if you don't get the same effects from using water, why don't you try another sports drink. Try using the gatorade powder. it's cheap and hopefully you can use it without losing sleep.

Accelerade sucks!! no need for protien DURING excersise, taste like **** and causes a buildup on teeth.

Try using an, unsweetened, electrolyte replacement. The people that make Hammer Gel make one called Endurolyte.