aero bar brake cable routing

Mludes

New Member
Jun 11, 2003
Can anyone help? I'm setting up a time trial bike, using the 3T Ahero time trial bars. I want to use Campy Record standard brake levers, but don't know how to route the brake cables through the bars. I've seen TT bikes with this set up, so I know it can be done. The alternative is to use the Dia Compe levers that go in the ends of the bullhorn, but I really want to use the Campy levers - has anyone done this, or know how? Any help appreciated.

"Mludes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone help? I'm setting up a time trial bike, using the 3T Ahero time trial bars. I want to
> use Campy Record standard brake levers, but don't know how to route the brake cables through the
> bars. I've seen TT bikes with this set up, so I know it can be done. The alternative is to use the
> Dia Compe levers that go in the ends of the bullhorn, but I really want to use the Campy levers -
> has anyone done this, or know how?

Running cables through alunimum bars is a singularly bad idea. It's not so much where they go in as
that they inevitably have to come out. That's usually near the stem where stresses are large and the
holes provide a classic stress-riser.

Otherwise sensible people will explain to you sincerely that _their_ drilled bars are safe because
they filed the hole edges smooth. OK, that makes it slightly safer, as much as pouring gasoline
while smoking a _filtered_ cigarette.

DiaCompe's classic 188 reverse lever was originally designed for use with a schoolboy's steel
handlebar. Lightweight triathlon bars really do snap off when drilled to exit those cables.

Back to your direct question. Why not exit the lever normally and just secure the casing along the
underside of the bar? The exit angle is not so hot on a straight aero bar so leave a small loop of
casing at the lever (rather than trying to tape it down flush) to avoid kinking the casing.

It is certainly _possible_ to drill a hole behind the lever body. It will look really cool, until
you faceplant with the piece of handlebar still in hand.