B & B in Germany

Paul

Guest
Hi there,

My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
accommodation. Our german is virtually nil. Does anyone know
if the local Tourist Information Offices will ring around
for us each night, or do we just knock on doors and use
semaphore? What time do we need to arrive somewhere to be
sure of a bed for the night?

Any help appreciated.

Paul New Zealand.

Paul wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
> Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
> accommodation. Our german is virtually nil. Does anyone
> know if the local Tourist Information Offices will ring
> around for us each night, or do we just knock on doors and
> use semaphore? What time do we need to arrive somewhere to
> be sure of a bed for the night?

Buy a german travel guide. Most Germans speak a little
English anyway.

There is no hard & fast rule about what time to arrive.
Before the rest is the answer...

During the 70's I was stationed in Germany for 2 years and
loved it! The folks are friendly, the country beautiful, and
the food is super. Learn a few words of German - the people
appreciate the effort and are much more likely to be of help
if you try their language first.

online.com...

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Paul wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
> Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
> accommodation. Our german is virtually nil. Does anyone
> know if the local Tourist Information Offices will ring
> around for us each night, or do we just knock on doors and
> use semaphore? What time do we need to arrive somewhere to
> be sure of a bed for the night?

You should be OK with English. At most a very few words of
German will be needed. Get a small phrase book and you'll be
fine. In June you won't need to call ahead - and you lack of
German would make that more difficult - but you might need
to be flexible in your choice of accommodations. See
http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour02/day41/day41.htm
for a little bit of riding in the Neckar Valley.

Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/

[email protected] (Paul) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi there,
>
> My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
> Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
> accommodation. Our german is virtually nil. Does anyone
> know if the local Tourist Information Offices will ring
> around for us each night, or do we just knock on doors and
> use semaphore? What time do we need to arrive somewhere to
> be sure of a bed for the night?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Paul New Zealand.

Keep in mind many gastehauses have a "ruhetag" (quiet day),
no guests to be checked in and if you wish to check out they
frown upon it.

ed

Hi There,

Cycled there last year, just look for the Zimmer Frei signs,
easy as that !!! Have Fun

Kevin & Dianne Hughes South Africa

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
>
> My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
> Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
> accommodation. Our german is virtually nil. Does anyone
> know if the local Tourist Information Offices will ring
> around for us each night, or do we just knock on doors and
> use semaphore? What time do we need to arrive somewhere to
> be sure of a bed for the night?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Paul New Zealand.

* [email protected] (Paul):

>My wife and I will be touring in the Neckar Valley area of
>Germany in June and intend staying in Bed & Breakfast
>accommodation. Our german is virtually nil.

At least people working in the tourism business should
usually speak a little English.

>Does anyone know if the local Tourist Information Offices
>will ring around for us each night, or do we just knock on
>doors and use semaphore? What time do we need to arrive
>somewhere to be sure of a bed for the night?

June is still pre-season in Germany, so you should have no
problems in finding a vacant B & B. Just look for signs
"Pension", "Zimmer frei" or "Zimmer zu vermieten". You might
also ask at Toursist Information Offices, but they usually
close in the late afternoon.
--
Stefan

My wife and I cycled "up" the entire length of the Rhine
last May - June, including the Mosel and a short side trip
up the Neckar to Heidelberg. Small and middle size towns
are easiest for accommodations. Saturday nights might be
busy. Heidelberg was as expensive a city as we stayed in,
and very touristy, but it did have a professionally staffed
tourist office at the train station that stayed open at
least until 6pm.

Frank

Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

Thanks to all for the useful information. Sounds like we'll
have no trouble finding accommodation along the way.

Cheers, Paul New Zealand