Body Armor??

Wow, with extrasensory insight like that, why don't you try finding
some WMDs while you're at it.

Ewww...hope you're better these days, then.

> Extreme Backyard Wrestling F(fill in your preferred word ending here).

Ah, trailer-sports!

> To chrome it, you must have steel. There is no other choice. (Well,
> there is, but do you want to pay for the extra steps to polish and
> prep a nonmetallic surface for chroming? It often triples the cost,
> if you can even find a shop that will try.)

Damn, you mean the Chinese don't have a cheap substitute??

I guess I don't mean literally "chrome," but something mirror-like and
reflective. Surely the popularity of these things (I see 'em every
summer) must mean there are cheaper versions...?

> Nope. It's the other way around. Chrome is almost camo in most
> settings; it reflects the background, and blends in amazingly well.

Oh, hehe, that too. I was just thinking of it catching the sun. Seems
to always catch *my* eye!

> How many times have you been in a room that had an entire wall that
> was a mirror, and not realized there was a wall present? There's a
> reason why road crews wear blaze orange or that new fluoroputrescent
> green. To be visible, be *different*. Reflection guarantees that
> you'll look largely the same as the surroundings.

Right. Can't wait to see what Army "skunkworks" comes out with in
another few decades!

> It absorbs none of the impact, transmitting all of it through. It has
> knobby bits on the inside where the support stuff attaches. The only
> thing it may help with is distribution of force in the case of a
> localized impact, as from the prow of an old Pontiac, but in that
> case, you're probably toast anyway.

Hmm, so it's purely a fashion statement, then! Thanks for the tip.
Back to styrofoam it is, damn!

> The cool, dry and wonderfully varied marvel known as Houston. (By
> comparison to Miami, where I grew up, it is all of the above.)

I'll assume you mean TX.

[email protected] wrote:

> Try picking up some used hockey equipment. Probably just as good and
> you should be able to get it a lot cheaper.

Wow, even cheaper? Oh, wait, "used"...! No way I'm buying used
anything I have to wear. And I don't want to have thick football pads
on my shoulders, either. These "pressure suits" (wonder how they came
up with that name) have them all integrated in one piece -- no straps
for this and that, it seems.

> Of course, there is the
> problem that hockey and football equimpment probably increase injury
> rates but oh well.

Only if you run across a football game in progress!

> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On 2 Mar 2006 09:53:26 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:

[about a steel helmet]
>> It absorbs none of the impact, transmitting all of it through. It has
>> knobby bits on the inside where the support stuff attaches. The only
>> thing it may help with is distribution of force in the case of a
>> localized impact, as from the prow of an old Pontiac, but in that
>> case, you're probably toast anyway.

>Hmm, so it's purely a fashion statement, then! Thanks for the tip.
>Back to styrofoam it is, damn!

Intermediate point: BMX buckets have a thicker ABS shell, less swoopy
styling, and about as much styro as the average bike-racer version.
Many folks prefer that type; some of them like it for the lack of all
the frivolous (to them) bric-a-brac latticework and shaping, others
for the reduced number of holes, and some for the fact that a
good-sized avocado pit flung energetically will just bounce off.

>> The cool, dry and wonderfully varied marvel known as Houston. (By
>> comparison to Miami, where I grew up, it is all of the above.)

>I'll assume you mean TX.

Ayup.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Just to clarify :

Skaters working on basic skills (stroking, speed, bladework, figures (when
they were still a discipline), etc do not usually wear a lot of protective
gear. I equate this kind of skating with very placid biking. It's rare
that somebody goes down.

Figure skaters developing jumps, lifts and other new moves often wear
protective gear. (At least the younger kids learning these skills and not
working on high level competitions.) In fact learning jumps and lifts often
included a suspension harness as well. I'd equate these types of moves to
technical singletrack.

I'm not advocating body armor for biking in general, just clarifying a
comparison to skating. There are certain safety elements that get abandoned
at final competition time for reasons of speed or camera coverage, that
might be common during regular practice time.

Cheers
Gary

> NYC XYZ wrote:
>
> > So how good is body armor in general?

> Compare and contrast ice skaters... people doing serious roughty tufty
> stuff (hockey) use body armour and helmets, people doing stuff where the
> odd collision and spill with others involved in a heap is likely (short
> track) wear helmets, people who don't fall over much, and/or don't have
> much chance of banging their head (speed, recreational & and figure)
> don't wear anything except the minimum to keep off cold and wind.
>
> Similarly with bikes, mad downhill MTB: body armour; technical trails
> MTB, racing in packs: helmet; typical use, no need for anything.
>
> An addendum is that 'bent racers on lowracers are often seen wearing
> elbow guards. I use skaters' wrist guards on my unicycle. And if
> you're worried about slipping off on ice in winter then don't get body
> armour, get a trike...
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So, anyone have any experience with these?
>
> http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-protective-gear.htm
>

> I have in mind that "Farmer John" and the "pressure suit"
> together...sides of hips are covered, knees and shins are covered,
> shoulders and elbows are covered, even the spine...cool!
>
> I'd only use them in wintertime, underneath a simple turtleneck...that,
> and the exercise, should keep me plenty warm!
>
> So how good is body armor in general? Are they like helmets, a one-use
> affair? (Not likely, but hey, what do I know.) Think of your worst
> bike accident ever. Would armor have helped you any?
>
> And where can I get them chrome German helmets? Want 'em in chrome
> since that's so damned reflective -- and of course I'd only use them in
> winter time.
>
> BTW, any of y'all use balaclavas like this from Outdoor Research? It's
> so neat:
> http://orgear.com/home/style/home/headware/cold_hats/balaclavas/85130.

Wooo hoooo! You go dewd!

In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:02:16 +1100, ray <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >Very silly.

> For some times of use -- certain types of mountain biking ....

<snip>

Last summer when hiking the mountains of Nelson, B.C., (a mecca for
extreme MTBers), it was quite a revelation to encounter these storm
troopers on wheels. Adorned head to foot in polymer plates, with full
faced helmets, bash rings, 8" of suspension front and back - they more
resembled moto-crossers than cyclists. But I was in awe of their
technical skill - truly impressive!

These guys were hurtling down trails - forget pedalling uphill, the
bikes were too heavy to battle gravity - that made for difficult
hiking. 6+ foot drops, mud, knee high boulders, turns so tight they
required front wheel hops - one mistake and you could literally ride
off the edge of the mountain to the hereafter. And yet, down they went,
just another day at the office. Amazing!

Luke

Luke wrote:

> These guys were hurtling down trails - forget pedalling uphill, the
> bikes were too heavy to battle gravity - that made for difficult
> hiking. 6+ foot drops, mud, knee high boulders, turns so tight they
> required front wheel hops - one mistake and you could literally ride
> off the edge of the mountain to the hereafter. And yet, down they went,
> just another day at the office. Amazing!

There's a downhill course not too far from here. I gelt a bit worried
going down part of it in my studded orienting shoes on foot, never mind
on a bike!

'nuff respect to these guys!

OTOH, a pal of mine who's been a keen XC MTBer for years encountered
someone she knew out on her bike. She'd not known him as a cyclist
before, but there he was with full suspension, disc brakes etc. and body
armour. It soon transpired he couldn't ride worh a damn, he'd just gone
out and bought the MTB Lifestyle! ;-/

But the guys (and gals) that go out and tackle the Real Thing are brave,
talented and IMHO a bit mad...

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Luke wrote:
>
>> These guys were hurtling down trails - forget pedalling uphill, the
>> bikes were too heavy to battle gravity - that made for difficult
>> hiking. 6+ foot drops, mud, knee high boulders, turns so tight they
>> required front wheel hops - one mistake and you could literally ride
>> off the edge of the mountain to the hereafter. And yet, down they went,
>> just another day at the office. Amazing!

> There's a downhill course not too far from here. I gelt a bit worried
> going down part of it in my studded orienting shoes on foot, never mind
> on a bike!
>
> 'nuff respect to these guys!
>
> OTOH, a pal of mine who's been a keen XC MTBer for years encountered
> someone she knew out on her bike. She'd not known him as a cyclist
> before, but there he was with full suspension, disc brakes etc. and body
> armour. It soon transpired he couldn't ride worh a damn, he'd just gone
> out and bought the MTB Lifestyle! ;-/
>
> But the guys (and gals) that go out and tackle the Real Thing are brave,
> talented and IMHO a bit mad...

I rode the NORBA downhill course at Deer Valley a time or two. The top
is sketchy, too steep feel comfortable about my COG, riding the brakes
hard. The bottom... I dragged my bike along with me as I scooted down on
my butt.

Those people are crazy.

"You American workers haven't seen an increase in real wages since the
1970s... But are you rioting? No. You're voting for Republican
candidates who give people like me tax cuts. You know what? I think
that's your way of saying 'Thank you.'" - Stephen Colbert