Buying first single speed

wmorrison818

Aug 4, 2013
Looking into buying my first single speed road bike. I've been to bigshotbikes.com and statebicycles.com, was wondering if either of these brands are worth it. I have a road bike and am looking for a decent single speed for city riding and the potential for longer distances. Any opinions help out a lot.

What is your budget?

How long a ride did you want to take on your Single Speed?

BTW. IMO, one key to a successful Single Speed experience is choosing the right gearing for the terrain & rider ...

If you are planning on truly longer rides, then you will probably want a frame which has water bottle bosses.

Reactions: FetishRider
Bicycling Magazine has an article on the new SRAM 1x groupset in the September 2015 issue. This is not the same as a fixed speed bike. The "1x" refers to one chainring. You still get a cassette on the back with plenty of gears, so this is not a single speed. But perhaps it is close enough for you -- an alternative to a true single speed?

The SRAM 1x gets tested by different staff members. Note that the testers are extremely fit, experienced cyclists. Fit. Strong. Fit. Thousands of feet in elevation astride an 1x might not bother them -- but at this moment in my life it would bother me. So it is important to understand who the testers are and what their viewpoints are. My personal assessment of my own riding skills on a 1x is "Maryland Weakling". The magazine staff also conducted tests on extremely good bikes, not on iron tubes that got welded together by the local home improvement guy which were then awarded the generous label of "bicycle".

Bob

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
BobCochran said:
Bicycling Magazine has an article on the new SRAM 1x groupset in the September 2015 issue. This is not the same as a fixed speed bike. The "1x" refers to one chainring. You still get a cassette on the back with plenty of gears, so this is not a single speed. But perhaps it is close enough for you -- an alternative to a true single speed?

The SRAM 1x gets tested by different staff members. Note that the testers are extremely fit, experienced cyclists. Fit. Strong. Fit. Thousands of feet in elevation astride an 1x might not bother them -- but at this moment in my life it would bother me. So it is important to understand who the testers are and what their viewpoints are. My personal assessment of my own riding skills on a 1x is "Maryland Weakling". The magazine staff also conducted tests on extremely good bikes, not on iron tubes that got welded together by the local home improvement guy which were then awarded the generous label of "bicycle".

Bob
These are really cool.
You need a type 2 rear derailleur though, but this eliminates the need for any chain guide/tensioners on the front.
I have seen 1x 9,10 and 11 setups.
9 is pretty cheap anyone can get into it, 11 is still pretty expensive.

I remember my brothers telling me that a bike with gear is expensive. There was a neighbor who had an imported bike from the US. It is a 3-speed bike with a basket in front and a low frame (a female bike). I was not able to try it because I was still small. But at that time, I was wondering what that 3-speed is for. From the explanation I got, it is silly because I thought the gear will somehow give power to the bike even without pushing the pedals. The only bike I know was the single speed.

You know, I'm sure OP found a singlespeed bike in the year it took you guys to revive this dead thread. I'm looking at you WelshDude3. It's a shame that you guys have given such good information to someone that probably no longer uses the forum. :p