Carbon seatpost and frame & lube/grease

Aerodynamics

Jun 20, 2014
I have made a mistake of putting grease on a carbon seatpost into a frame, I had trouble getting it out, and in, so Id thought id put grease to fit it back in easier.. What can go wrong? Can the carbon weaken or anything? I have got paper roll and wet-wipes to try remove all the grease on the post and inside the frame, although I can't get right into the seat tube only towards the top, so hopefully there isn't much down there. What should I use to lube the post into the frame? Should I just try put the seatpost back in?

I am not a materials expert, but I don't think you should expect any long term damage. Just clean up the components as best as you can.

I had the opposite issue when assembling CF components on a AL frame. The carbon was too slippery, some carbon assembly paste worked great to add friction between the surfaces. I would contact a shop familiar with CF assembly an see what if any CF lubricant to use; I suspect that dry graphite lube may work.

My general rule is, grease for metal-to-metal, CF assembly paste for anything that involves a CF surface. It helps things slide when it's loose and adds friction when you clamp it tight.