Chain Maintenance

[email protected] wrote:

> >> Alas, I have only two more of those chains that run
> >> nicely on my "ultra-six" speed cluster.

I've seen new ones from time to time on ebay. The longer you
wait, the less chance you'll have to get some.

That said, I don't see why a new sleeveless wouldn't
function on a 6sp. In fact, they are sometimes claimed to be
6-7-8sp chains. The pin is shorter than that of the Regina
to accomodate the 8sp spacing.

"gwhite" <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message

> I've seen new ones from time to time on ebay. The longer
> you wait, the
less chance you'll have to
> get some.
>
> That said, I don't see why a new sleeveless wouldn't
> function on a 6sp.
In fact, they are sometimes
> claimed to be 6-7-8sp chains. The pin is shorter than that
> of the Regina
to accomodate the 8sp
> spacing.

The Sram PC 48 chain works fine on a 6sp freewheel. Price
from $8.00-$12.00 -tom

G White writes:

>> Alas, I have only two more of those chains that run
>> nicely on my "ultra-six" speed cluster.

> I've seen new ones from time to time on eBay. The longer
> you wait, the less chance you'll have to get some.

I think I have exhausted that venue, at least at
reasonable prices.

> That said, I don't see why a new sleeveless wouldn't
> function on a 6sp. In fact, they are sometimes claimed to
> be 6-7-8sp chains. The pin is shorter than that of the
> Regina to accommodate the 8sp spacing.

So what do you think I'm riding these days? I have a large
box of bulk SRAM chains. They just don't last long compared
to the CX-S that lasted 20,000 miles through rain and snow.
Now I use a new chain every 5000.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:

> G White writes:
>
> >> Alas, I have only two more of those chains that run
> >> nicely on my "ultra-six" speed cluster.
>
> > I've seen new ones from time to time on eBay. The longer
> > you wait, the less chance you'll have to get some.
>
> I think I have exhausted that venue, at least at
> reasonable prices.

What exactly is "reasonable" for a chain that lasts 4x as
long as a $10 chain? I thought I so them go for < $30, but
maybe my memory is faulty.

> So what do you think I'm riding these days?

Based on "I have only two more of those chains that run
nicely on my 'ultra-six' speed cluster," I made the obvious
assumption.

> I have a large box of bulk SRAM chains. They just don't
> last long compared to the CX-S that lasted 20,000 miles
> through rain and snow.

I rate the issue on price/mile ratio, not just the lifetime.
Unfortunately many of the new bushingless designs are quite
expensive and do not live up to the initial low price
promise. That wasn't quite so true at the outset. I have a
black sedis still new in the box with a retail $5.95 sticker
on it. I simply buy the cheapest chains I can get, and thus
rarely pay over $12/chain.

> Now I use a new chain every 5000.

Me too.

> G White writes:
>
> >> Alas, I have only two more of those chains that run
> >> nicely on my "ultra-six" speed cluster.
>
> > I've seen new ones from time to time on eBay. The longer
> > you wait, the less chance you'll have to get some.
>
> I think I have exhausted that venue, at least at
> reasonable prices.

I'd be happy to trade you the two I have for an MA2 rim! :)

(They're not Regina, and it wouldn't be worth it even so,
but gee I'd like to get some MA2s again!)

Karl.

Karl Nelson <[email protected]> writes:

>>> I've seen new ones from time to time on eBay. The longer
>>> you wait, the less chance you'll have to get some.

>> I think I have exhausted that venue, at least at
>> reasonable prices.

> I'd be happy to trade you the two I have for an MA2 rim!

Nice gesture but I can ride with other chains but I don't
want to ride without MA-2's.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]