Changing over to Road Bikes

Its been a slow, gradual transistion for me. 2 years ago I rode around on a walmart bought mountainbike. I then upgraded to a Marin 'urban' bike, that then got stolen. Lacking funds, I rode around on a picemeal bike made mostly from parts bought on ebay. It was never the same bike, since it went through 3 different frames and all kinds of evolution. Finally, I gave up on mountain and have switched..almost..entirely to road setup. I bought a Flat Bar Road Bike.

Ok, its not a 'true' Road bike, but I never liked Drop bars. I actually like the Triatholon set up better, and I looked into getting one, and I got slapped by the amazing Sticker shock. My Compromise? I got myself the 04' Marin Highway One, at a good deal on Ebay. I customized it with some choice parts and 700x23c Tires, then slapped Aero Bars onto it, specifically Profile Design's Jammer GT.

I can't see my gear index anymore because of the pads, but wow, being able to spread my weight between my elbows and hands is worth its weight in gold when I'm doing a long ride. I have weak wrists and hands that fatique very easily. The Aero posistion also really increases my average speed and sprinting speed. I live in a urban enviorment, soo Its also nice to be able to switch from Aeros, onto the Flat to brake and Manuever, and then onto the barends to climb a hill. Very Versatile :D

Aha - another OF! I got into the MTB in my early 40's, and it was certainly challenging, but after a few years found that I was enjoying the ride to and from the singletrack more than the singletrack itself. Brought back memories of riding crits back in college.

Tried slicks on the MTB - better, but not quite right. So I blew a wad, built up a state of the art road bike, and - wow, it's like comparing a truck to a sports car. Stand on the pedals, and you feel it accelerate. Flick through a turn, and it tracks true. Hit a downhill, and it takes off like a rocket. Strike a comfortable pace, and it glides along.

More than anything, I found that I loved the peace and quiet of road cycling. Off road, it was a constant challenge, demanding full concentration, while the road bike lets me strike a pace, and just clear the mind.

And I occasionally ride with a group of women, all in their mid 50's, that can thoroughly whip me on distance. After 50 miles of rolling hills, I'm ready to call it a day, and they just keep on trucking. I rather enjoy a sport where someone older than me can beat me. Gives me something to aspire to.

hdavidh said:
I can so relate. At 48 I quit a 2 pack a day habit and started "gliding" too. I have renewed the love of cycling I had as a 19 year old. I came home from my first long ride with a group the other night and my wife said I looked like a kid again...
That's totally worth the price of admission.:)

hdavidh said:
I can so relate. At 48 I quit a 2 pack a day habit and started "gliding" too. I have renewed the love of cycling I had as a 19 year old. I came home from my first long ride with a group the other night and my wife said I looked like a kid again...
That's totally worth the price of admission.:)
Awesome.........