Cheaply Building a Single Speed

SpecializedWRX

May 12, 2006
Question for the gurus. What would be the cheapest way to build a single speed? I don't have any framesets or anything lying about.

The idea behind this is to build something so that my dad can cruise around town with a simple-to-operate bicycle. He doesn't want gears or anything fancy. I was wondering what the best route to choose for this would be and what places to look for frames etc.

He wouldn't need aggressive geometry or gearing as he would only use it to go about 30 mi/ week. Any suggestions would be great!

SpecializedWRX said:
What would be the cheapest way to build a single speed?

I built a single speed (not fixed) for just less then $100 US. I found and old Viscount at a local Red Cross thrift store for $35. New tires, tubes, bar tape, a gear for a BMX bike and a new chain. Took it completely apart to clean and lube everything. Took off the old gear set from the rear hub, put on the new BMX 16 tooth gear, took of the front 52 tooth and left the 42 tooth on it. I did grind down the legs (for lack of a better word) the held the big 52 tooth gear on the crank to clean up the look, but it is not needed.

All and all - less than 100 duckets and I have a neat little single speed. Godd luck...

camit34 said:
I built a single speed (not fixed) for just less then $100 US. I found and old Viscount at a local Red Cross thrift store for $35. New tires, tubes, bar tape, a gear for a BMX bike and a new chain. Took it completely apart to clean and lube everything. Took off the old gear set from the rear hub, put on the new BMX 16 tooth gear, took of the front 52 tooth and left the 42 tooth on it. I did grind down the legs (for lack of a better word) the held the big 52 tooth gear on the crank to clean up the look, but it is not needed.

All and all - less than 100 duckets and I have a neat little single speed. Godd luck...
Good call with the thrift store purchase! I will start looking around...

Picked up an old Giant steely rigid. As prev. stated stripped and lubed everything. Used the middle chainring, crankset had spacers to cover the lack of an outer ring. Used a dremel to break apart the cassette for the rear cog and needed spacers. Set up the chainline w/ the cog and chainring. Used the spacers to keep the cog from sliding on the freewheel Bike had horizontal drop-outs (key in home brew single speeds) to adjust chain tension. That was it. Search the web for building single speeds, a ton of pics and tutorials are out there, I built mine ages ago and can't recall sites offhand but its poularity is gaining so I,m sure there is more info on em around.

What type of riding will your father be doing? I saw a "cruiser" ss yesterday at the YMCA thrift store in my town w/ a flat bar and coaster break for $2,yes two dollars in road worthy condition. An older schwinn beach cruiser. If I wasn't moving into a new , smaller place this weekend I would have snagged it for around town errands.

Craig

wb 86 said:
Picked up an old Giant steely rigid. As prev. stated stripped and lubed everything. Used the middle chainring, crankset had spacers to cover the lack of an outer ring. Used a dremel to break apart the cassette for the rear cog and needed spacers. Set up the chainline w/ the cog and chainring. Used the spacers to keep the cog from sliding on the freewheel Bike had horizontal drop-outs (key in home brew single speeds) to adjust chain tension. That was it. Search the web for building single speeds, a ton of pics and tutorials are out there, I built mine ages ago and can't recall sites offhand but its poularity is gaining so I,m sure there is more info on em around.

What type of riding will your father be doing? I saw a "cruiser" ss yesterday at the YMCA thrift store in my town w/ a flat bar and coaster break for $2,yes two dollars in road worthy condition. An older schwinn beach cruiser. If I wasn't moving into a new , smaller place this weekend I would have snagged it for around town errands.

Craig
See post above but max of 30 mi/week, flat...maybe a 20 mph headwind on a really bad day.

Shameless plug... Look for a recycled bike shop like Bicycle Works in Saint Louis You can usually find some pretty good deals at those places. We have about 10 frames 100 decent wheels and all sorts of half built projects laying around... Where do you live... I may know of a similar program in your area...