'clip on' bike racks

Andrew

Guest
Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the
back of a hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1
road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found the Thule ones for $200-
300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are
worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind
ordering off the net.

Andrew.

Andrew wrote:
> Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the
> back of a hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1
> road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found the Thule ones for $200-
> 300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
> 65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are
> worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind
> ordering off the net.
>
> Andrew.

At that cost it might be cheaper to get a tow bar added and
a normal bike rack. My experience with the strap on rack
(not sure what brand) was mostly bad. The rack worked fine
on a sedan, But on the hatch it was all over the place
because there's a limit to how much pressure you want on the
rear window. The day I looked in the rear view mirror to see
the bikes swinging around the side of the car on a round
about was the day the strap on rack got retired.

DaveB.

Originally posted by Andrew
Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the
back of a hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1
road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found the Thule ones for $200-
300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are
worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind
ordering off the net.

Andrew.

Andrew,

May need to get a new car (lol)! I had a rack which attached to the towball. Quickly ditched it after driving over a gravel road and getting some little pock marks in my lovely Ksyrium wheels. Still haven't recovered fully from the shock :mad: I went out and bought a shiny new Thule roof clip-on gismo which cost a fortune ($165) but I already had Thule racks. Now I look like one of those surfers with the board permanently attached to the car. Get a few friendly waves from other cycle rackers on the road ;)

Andrew wrote:
> Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the
> back of a hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes
> (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found the Thule ones for
> $200-300,

Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands
of km with 2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar
locally. Try the car-parts shops, like Marlows.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C-
%3Efolder_id=716279&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=134953&bmUID=10-
84239850634

MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some
other bike/car/outdoors online shops.

$50! Bargain. Where?

That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost
the same in AUD$, but freight is $50.

I can't find that model on any .au sites, only the towbar
ones, under the Rhino-Rack name.

Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and
forwards? It looks as if there's nothing to stop that.
(Actually, is yours a MEC? If not, what is it, and where did
you get it?)

Thanks for all replies so far, I'll keep looking.

Andrew.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many
> thousands of km with 2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find
> something similar locally. Try the car-parts shops, like
> Marlows.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C-
%3Efolder_id=716279&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=134953&bmUID=10-
84239850634

> MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some
> other bike/car/outdoors online shops.

Found one on sale in MEL at a large bike specialty shop. $95
in 1Q2003. A 3-bike model. Works Very Well, sturdy. It has
been a while since I bought it, and there is no name on the
frame.... full list was only $120! Other models went near
$200 but did not seem to have anything better for the extra
$$. In my case, cheap was very good. YMMV

JS

Andrew wrote:
> $50! Bargain. Where?

Canada, from MEC. But its made in China. I would expect
something similar here.

> That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is
> almost the same in AUD$, but freight is $50.

As I said, MEC are too pricy for delivery. There are many
other online sites cheaper, but a bike rack is probably too
big to post.

See my recent mail-order thread for advice given. I went to
aebike.com.

> Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

Sounds like the sort of place. What about the car section in
K-mart/Big-W ?

> How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards
> and forwards?

Tie it on with straps and/or bungees. No problem. For long
drives, I put the wheels inside the car, to cut drag.