Commuter Bike suggestions

spinner32

Jul 8, 2006
Hey, so I am now in the position where I am able to commute to class and work - FINALLY
biggrin.gif

I just need some suggestions for a bike that could suit my purposes.
Here's what I encounter, and what I'd use it for:
-All-weather grocery/errand running.
-All-weather rides to work and class in a medium/small city.
-Mostly city (read: often crumbly) roads, some bike paths, and the occasional need to jump a curb or hit the dirt/grass.
-5 to 10 miles.

I'd prefer a bit more aggressive gearing, as I'm used to racing, and can power up hills. When I ride, I guess I just like to ride fast.
Also, points for attaching panniers and a rack would be nice, though not crucial.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for on companies' websites. Thanks!

spinner32 said:
Hey, so I am now in the position where I am able to commute to class and work - FINALLY
biggrin.gif

I just need some suggestions for a bike that could suit my purposes.
Here's what I encounter, and what I'd use it for:
-All-weather grocery/errand running.
-All-weather rides to work and class in a medium/small city.
-Mostly city (read: often crumbly) roads, some bike paths, and the occasional need to jump a curb or hit the dirt/grass.
-5 to 10 miles.

I'd prefer a bit more aggressive gearing, as I'm used to racing, and can power up hills. When I ride, I guess I just like to ride fast.
Also, points for attaching panniers and a rack would be nice, though not crucial.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for on companies' websites. Thanks!

Check out the Trek FX series, GT Transeo series, Giant Trans Send, and Specialized Globe. you should be able to mount racks on all of these and they allow wider tires for nasty roads. very important NO SUSPENSION

ride4him said:
Check out the Trek FX series, GT Transeo series, Giant Trans Send, and Specialized Globe. you should be able to mount racks on all of these and they allow wider tires for nasty roads. very important NO SUSPENSION
Thanks for the reply.

No suspension is NO PROBLEM. Just one more set of components to fix and clean. Honestly, I haven't ever enjoyed suspension, save for one attempt at downhill riding. Hardtail XC with front susp. fork is about as cushy as I get.

I'll check these out. Thanks again for the post.

spinner32 said:
Thanks for the reply.

No suspension is NO PROBLEM. Just one more set of components to fix and clean. Honestly, I haven't ever enjoyed suspension, save for one attempt at downhill riding. Hardtail XC with front susp. fork is about as cushy as I get.

I'll check these out. Thanks again for the post.

I forgot to mention the Specialized Tricross series. They are an all around bike good for commuting, racing, and just general riding. I had one of these for awhile and it was by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden..........But they are very expensive. These are also some of the few cyclocross bikes that have holes for mounting racks and fenders.