Correct square-taper BB size?

Boyd Speerschneider

Guest
Hello,

I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so I called
Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go figure).

They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two options for the spindle
length:

1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
2) 108.0mm for ISIS

The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old school square-
tapered design.

What size BB should I get?

Thanks in advance,

- Boyd S.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
> I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so I called
> Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go figure).
>
> They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two options for the

spindle
> length:
>
> 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
>
> The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old school square-
> tapered design.
>
> What size BB should I get?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Boyd S.

It depends on the crankset you will be using. If the crank uses OctaLink,
you have to use the OctaLink bottom bracket. The same holds true for the
ISIS, if using ISIS cranks, using an ISIS bottom bracket is necessary.

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
> > I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so I called
> > Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go figure).
> >
> > They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two options for the

> spindle
> > length:
> >
> > 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> > 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
> >
> > The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old school square-
> > tapered design.
> >
> > What size BB should I get?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > - Boyd S.

> It depends on the crankset you will be using. If the crank uses OctaLink,
> you have to use the OctaLink bottom bracket. The same holds true for the
> ISIS, if using ISIS cranks, using an ISIS bottom bracket is necessary.

Sorry, I didn't completely read your post. Disregard my drivel.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote:

> What size BB should I get?

The axle length depends entirely on the model of crank you want to use.

James Thomson

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
> I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so I called
> Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go figure).
>
> They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two options for the spindle
> length:
>
> 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
>
> The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old school square-
> tapered design.
>
> What size BB should I get?

Depends on the crank you choose. I have a Web page with a lot of
information on this: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize

Sheldon "Chiffres" Brown
| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the month |
| of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know what sort |
| of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in news:40C4AFB8.108
@sheldonbrown.com:

>> What size BB should I get?

> Depends on the crank you choose. I have a Web page with a lot of
> information on this: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize
>
> Sheldon "Chiffres" Brown
>| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the month |
>| of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know what sort |
>| of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon,
I really appreciate your help.
However, the crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale) about which there
is no info on your site.
Any words of wisdom you might offer in figuring out the correct size BB would
be very appreciated.

- Boyd S.

Boyd Speerschneider <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
<snip>
> Sheldon,
> I really appreciate your help.
> However, the crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale) about which there
> is no info on your site.
> Any words of wisdom you might offer in figuring out the correct size BB would
> be very appreciated.
>
> - Boyd S.

Ah ha! The missing information is revealed. Try this:
1. Put a BB on the bike and install the right crank.
2. Line up the centerline of the crank with the center of the
cassette.
3. If the crank is too far out, get a shorter spindle.
4. If it's too far in, get a longer spindle.

This assumes that there is sufficient clearance for the chainrings in
step 3. Fudging outward a millimeter or two is allowable. This tool
may help with getting things lined up:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/clg2.shtml

Jeff

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> However, the crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale) about which there
> is no info on your site.
> Any words of wisdom you might offer in figuring out the correct size BB would
> be very appreciated.

Use whatever length BB places the big ring of a double crank, or the
middle ring of a triple crank, at 45mm from the centerline of the
frame. If this placement causes clearance issues between the rings
and the frame, increase the spindle length as much as necessary to
gain adequate clearance.

Chalo Colina

bspeers-<< The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old school
square-
tapered design. >><BR><BR>

Which crank is it?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Which crank is it?

Its a black Coda (Cannondale) 175mm double road crank.
Don't ask me which bike it came off of or what year as I have no clue.
I got it for a pretty good price on eBay a long time ago.

Thanks for your help,

- Boyd S.