Cycling videos?

Hello,

Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
everyday rides?

I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
around town running errands.

Thanks,
Cullen

On Dec 16, 9:03 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> everyday rides?
>
> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> around town running errands.
>
> Thanks,
> Cullen

I don't know if this is the type you're looking for, but I've enjoyed
SHARE THE ROAD. It's a travelogue of a bunch of 20-somethings
bicycling across America from Maine to California. It's not as
informative as I would like, but it doesn't turn into a music video
either. I enjoyed it. (This same group did a similar DVD hiking the
Appalacian Trail).

Another one is the BICYCLING THROUGH HISTORY series. It's about these
women who bicycle from from one historic site to another and then give
talks about the sites. I've only got one of these DVD's and I must
confess...it can't keep my interest through to the end. (Although I'll
try again!)

If anyone has any suggestions for general cycling videos, I'd be
interested too in hearing of them.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> everyday rides?
>
> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> around town running errands.

http://www.bikelib.org/video/index.htm
This is a safety video put out by the League of Illinois Bicyclists,
intended for driver education. There are everyday bicyclist scenes. Not sure
what you're looking for, so I'm not sure this is helpful.

--
Mike Kruger
the CIA created more controversy today by acknowledging that it

Thanks for the link!

That's pretty close to what I had in mind.

Cullen

On Dec 16, 10:35 am, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hello,

> > Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> > everyday rides?

> > I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> > around town running errands.

> http://www.bikelib.org/video/index.htm
> This is a safety video put out by the League of Illinois Bicyclists,
> intended for driver education. There are everyday bicyclist scenes. Not sure
> what you're looking for, so I'm not sure this is helpful.
>
> --
> Mike Kruger
> the CIA created more controversy today by acknowledging that it
> accidentally returned several interrogation tapes to Blockbuster.
> [Andy Borowitz]

In article
<ecec31fa-58d8-487a-b75c-2d48b5f38986@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> everyday rides?
>
> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> around town running errands.
>
> Thanks,
> Cullen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas

It's a first-person shot of a cyclist riding along an especially
congested suburban commuter chute.

Following the "Related Videos" unearths some goodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoLMxD9N5k&feature=related

A commute in Mexico City (narration in English), notable because the
apparently-insane creator did it with a handheld camera. So you have to
envision him doing all the moves he's doing one-handed and distracted.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article
> <ecec31fa-58d8-487a-b75c-2d48b5f38986@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
>> everyday rides?
>>
>> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
>> around town running errands.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cullen

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas
>
> It's a first-person shot of a cyclist riding along an especially
> congested suburban commuter chute.
>
> Following the "Related Videos" unearths some goodies:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoLMxD9N5k&feature=related
>
> A commute in Mexico City (narration in English), notable because the
> apparently-insane creator did it with a handheld camera. So you have to
> envision him doing all the moves he's doing one-handed and distracted.

He should have better stuck the camera to the h*lm*t. Like this fellow,
also in Mexico: <http://www.digave.com/videos/index.htm>.

To the OP: these videos are NOT what you were looking for.

Speaking of cycling videos, I'd like to take a moment to promote the
'way cool GorillaPod by Joby.

Got mine recently and it worked very, very well.

Got a nice vid of some ahole cutting me off (or tried to) and another
pretending to 'brandish' a fire arm at me for some dumbass reason that
escaped me totally.

Heh.

Anyway, very stable and tight and versatile.

http://www.joby.com/

Not affiliated or anything.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> everyday rides?
>
> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> around town running errands.

You might enjoy Deux Secondes:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158446/

Other reviews of it are no doubt Google-able,
if you're interested.

A woman downhill racer eventually loses her edge,
and takes to bicycle couriering.

The story line is almost contemporaneously Steinbeckian.
With a dollop of Stephen Leacock and a smidgeon of Kurt
Vonnegut thrown in.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Dec 16, 9:22 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <ecec31fa-58d8-487a-b75c-2d48b5f38...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Hello,

> > Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> > everyday rides?

> > I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> > around town running errands.

> You might enjoy Deux Secondes:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158446/
>
> Other reviews of it are no doubt Google-able,
> if you're interested.
>
> A woman downhill racer eventually loses her edge,
> and takes to bicycle couriering.
>
> The story line is almost contemporaneously Steinbeckian.
> With a dollop of Stephen Leacock and a smidgeon of Kurt
> Vonnegut thrown in.

The shot of her cooling her bits after a 200 km ride is worth the
price of admission right there. [Netflix suddenly sold out of deux
secondes]

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 16, 9:22 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> In article
>>
>> <ecec31fa-58d8-487a-b75c-2d48b5f38...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,

>>> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of
>>> normal, everyday rides?

>>> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
>>> around town running errands.

>> You might enjoy Deux Secondes:
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158446/
>>
>> Other reviews of it are no doubt Google-able,
>> if you're interested.
>>
>> A woman downhill racer eventually loses her edge,
>> and takes to bicycle couriering.
>>
>> The story line is almost contemporaneously Steinbeckian.
>> With a dollop of Stephen Leacock and a smidgeon of Kurt
>> Vonnegut thrown in.

> The shot of her cooling her bits after a 200 km ride is worth the
> price of admission right there. [Netflix suddenly sold out of deux
> secondes]

The film's fine, but it might be worth warning younger or more sensitive
viewers that the previews on the DVD are all of gay films. This is because
there's a lesbian backstory to the movie itself (which isn't all that
intrinsic to the film, and isn't a reason to avoid it).

--

In article <4a14457d-5aec-408d-b5d9-5d5f83860b46@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] writes:
> On Dec 16, 9:22 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> In article <ecec31fa-58d8-487a-b75c-2d48b5f38...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,

>> > Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
>> > everyday rides?

>> > I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
>> > around town running errands.

>> You might enjoy Deux Secondes:
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158446/
>>
>> Other reviews of it are no doubt Google-able,
>> if you're interested.
>>
>> A woman downhill racer eventually loses her edge,
>> and takes to bicycle couriering.
>>
>> The story line is almost contemporaneously Steinbeckian.
>> With a dollop of Stephen Leacock and a smidgeon of Kurt
>> Vonnegut thrown in.

> The shot of her cooling her bits after a 200 km ride is worth the
> price of admission right there. [Netflix suddenly sold out of deux
> secondes]

I suspect Mel Brooks would have put in a hissing sound
and a shot of volumes of steam vapour rising out of the
washtub/sitz bath at that point. The recumbent folx
would love that, eh?

cheers,
Tom

--

[email protected] aka Cullen Carter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here know of non-race specific videos? Videos of normal,
> everyday rides?
>
> I'm talking about videos that, for example, show a cyclist riding
> around town running errands.

Several cycling videos here: <http://digave.com/videos/>.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter