Dawes xc 1.0

Greenbrightly

Guest
Hello,

Have you guys got any opinions on the above bike? I'm looking just to
get a cheap bike but I want something of a reasonable quality. The
price of this one appeals to me but if you guys know of any other
budget bikes please do recommend them. I've not really used one for
about 10 years but I've moved to a nice area now and want to start
making use of it.

Thanks,

Neil.

Greenbrightly wrote:

> Have you guys got any opinions on the above bike?

If you want to go mountain biking you'll do a lot better throwing a bit
more money at it, which will get you superior components. Suspension,
done reasonably, makes life a lot easier on your wrists if you're on
bumpy off-road.

And if it's not fpor MTBing, then don't get a mountain bike: the knobbly
tyres on roads give more rolling resistance and less grip so they're a
major own-goal.

(summary, bit of a pointless machine to my eyes)

> I'm looking just to
> get a cheap bike but I want something of a reasonable quality. The
> price of this one appeals to me but if you guys know of any other
> budget bikes please do recommend them. I've not really used one for
> about 10 years but I've moved to a nice area now and want to start
> making use of it.

Making use of it how, exactly? Off-road fun, generally getting about?
For the latter I'd look at the likes of
http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/discovery-201eq.htm which will be
easier to pedal on roads thanks to slick tyres, and if the roads are wet
you won't get a stream of unpleasant goop sprayed all over you from both
wheels, and if you're picking up some shopping you can load it on to the
carrier rather than possibly get a sweaty and/or aching back lugging it
all in a rucksack. If you don't envisage it ever being wet and/or don't
carry much then the plain Discovery 201 would make more sense.
For road use the Disco 201 will be a fundamentally better buy than the
XC 1.0 IMHO.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Apr 29, 9:25 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greenbrightly wrote:
> > Have you guys got any opinions on the above bike?

> If you want to go mountain biking you'll do a lot better throwing a bit
> more money at it, which will get you superior components.  Suspension,
> done reasonably, makes life a lot easier on your wrists if you're on
> bumpy off-road.
>
> And if it's not fpor MTBing, then don't get a mountain bike: the knobbly
> tyres on roads give more rolling resistance and less grip so they're a
> major own-goal.
>
> (summary, bit of a pointless machine to my eyes)
>
> > I'm looking just to
> > get a cheap bike but I want something of a reasonable quality. The
> > price of this one appeals to me but if you guys know of any other
> > budget bikes please do recommend them. I've not really used one for
> > about 10 years but I've moved to a nice area now and want to start
> > making use of it.

> Making use of it how, exactly?  Off-road fun, generally getting about?
> For the latter I'd look at the likes ofhttp://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/discovery-201eq.htmwhich will be
> easier to pedal on roads thanks to slick tyres, and if the roads are wet
> you won't get a stream of unpleasant goop sprayed all over you from both
> wheels, and if you're picking up some shopping you can load it on to the
> carrier rather than possibly get a sweaty and/or aching back lugging it
> all in a rucksack.  If you don't envisage it ever being wet and/or don't
> carry much then the plain Discovery 201 would make more sense.
> For road use the Disco 201 will be a fundamentally better buy than the
> XC 1.0 IMHO.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected]    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Hi, it would mainly be for going around the roads and into the
village, possibly around a local dam and also along the trans pennine
trail footpaths if that makes sense. I was looking at the discovery
but I thought they were a bit too expensive, however looking at it I
can get one for about £40 more so it may well be worth it. So it's
basically for road use but with a bit of footpath use too, do you
think the Discovery will still cut it over the XC?

Thanks.

Greenbrightly wrote:

> Hi, it would mainly be for going around the roads and into the
> village, possibly around a local dam and also along the trans pennine
> trail footpaths if that makes sense. I was looking at the discovery
> but I thought they were a bit too expensive, however looking at it I
> can get one for about £40 more so it may well be worth it. So it's
> basically for road use but with a bit of footpath use too, do you
> think the Discovery will still cut it over the XC?

I think so. A hybrid like the Disco will cope with easy trails just
fine, you only really need a MTB for really rough stuff (and that sort
of thing won't really be kind to the XC, to be honest), and if it is a
bit gloopy after lots of rain all you need to do to turn the Disco into
a basic MTB is pop some wider & knobblier tyres on it to cope with mud
and give a bit more cushioning.

While more expensive than the XC 1.0, the basic Disco isn't that
expensive in absolute terms and puts you at the bottom end of bikes made
to be ridden, rather than to simply exist at a desirably rock-bottom
price point.

Pete.