Extra spokes & Chainwhip?

Rick Warner writes:

>> _ You don't need a chainwhip to remove freewheels, just a
>> long Crescent wrench and the right freewheel tool.
>> Chainwhips are needed for cassette removal if you don't
>> have a hypercracker.

> Who said anything about needing the chainwhip for removal?
> I sure did not. You need the chainwhip to get the
> freewheel back on tightly.

I trust you are making a joke. Freewheels screw on all by
themselves. No tools are required. Large adjustable or box
end wrenches that fit a standard FW remover are available at
most auto shops and many gas stations. If you don't ride low
spoke count wheels on a tour, you can ride all day with a
broken spoke with no more than the brake QR opened to
prevent drag... that is if you aren't riding one of those
tight pseudo racing bicycles with 2mm clearance to frame and
fork as if that had any benefit what so ever.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

On Thu, 20 May 2004 [email protected] wrote:
> I trust you are making a joke. Freewheels screw on all by
> themselves. No tools are required.

Though that must have been a joke, let me caution novice
readers. It's happened to me to have a new freewheel
installed by hand, without screwing it in tightly. I started
out coasting downhill and it unscrew without mercy!

Sergio Pisa

"Rick Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> to Italy in the near future, where I hope to use a few
> tools for assembly/disassembly but that some tools (e.g.,
> spoke wrench and cassette cracker) sit in the bags and do
> not see the light of day for the next month.

I wish you a mechanical free month in Italy!

Watching the Giro really makes me jealous of your trip.

Enjoy.

"TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Rick Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > to Italy in the near future, where I hope to use a few
> > tools for assembly/disassembly but that some tools
> > (e.g., spoke wrench and cassette cracker) sit in the
> > bags and do not see the light of day for the next month.
> >

> I wish you a mechanical free month in Italy!
>
> Watching the Giro really makes me jealous of your trip.
>
> Enjoy.

Thanks! I am expecting a trouble free trip, but again one
never knows. The 17th-19th stages, later this week, will
cross back and forth the area I will be riding in just over
3 weeks. Really great country to cycle in, and not too bad
if cost-wise if you shop for fares. Our tickets were just
over $500 round trip SF to Venice.

Cheers,

- rick