First Cross - almost (bit long)

Jim

Guest
After a load of swithering I decided that today would be my first cyclocross
race. I've been helping setup a youth cycle club and watching (and
occasionally trying) the exercises made me wonder about trying cyclocross.
My first attempt at going off-road was a bit of a shocker, I was amazed at
what passed for a cycle trail in the eyes of the MTBers (I'm a cycle
commuter/ non-competitive road-rider) but surprised too at what my budget
tourer could do despite the mudguards and semi-slicks.
After picking myself up a few times, muddy, sore and wondering where the
others were (it was a night ride too!) I put the cyclocross idea on hold for
a bit.
However time heals and partly due to reading a great first CX report here I
decide just to do it. I convinced myself that putting cyclocross tyres on my
Dawes Horizon would give me enough grip to control the bike. Once I got the
tyres (Conti Speed Kings £14.95 Ed-Bike Co-op) I was kind off committed.
Today was the last chance for me to try a cross this season.

I turned up at the venue this morning early enough to get a few laps in
before the youths' race started. The first "obstacle" was a set of steps
(which went diagonally down a slope) made from vertical wooden planks
holding the earth in a steppy way. There was a 8" smooth track at one side,
further over a steepish drop off, about half way down this track disappears
and have to go onto the steps themselves then there was a short flat bit
before you had a 90 degree left onto a bridge. Are we expected to cycle
this? I thought. Apparantly yes! I ran(1) down the steps on the first
practice before I realised that I would have to ride it eventually so'd
better try in practice. Back to the start then an attempt at these steps
again, I managed down a bit inelegantly. Starting on the narrow side track,
too slow and I'd wobble, too fast and I'd be in dire straits when I hit the
treads, also too heavy on the brakes and I would slide sideways off the
track. I did a couple of practices and survived but I didn't feel in anyway
in control. I should point out that others didn't seem phased by these
steps. I enjoyed the weaving round trees, the tyres gave me confidence here
and I got a better idea of keeping my weight back for gaining traction.
There was very little mud on the course which was a pleasant surprise given
the recent weather.
Before the open event I watched the youths race on the same course, many of
them made the obstacles look easy, the local club riders looked especially
strong.

Off to the start, 'made sure I was right at the back in the wide line up (38
riders I believe), then off. The charge to the first corner was fun, with
the front riders powering ahead, the field started to lengthen and after a
couple of zigzags downhill there was an incline to the top of those steps.
Down the steps carefully with a load of riders in front but had to stop at
the bridge bottle neck. Over the bridge and sharp left up a steep rooty
path, apparantly this is rideable but I never managed it even on 28-32 (yes
28 on the front) due to traction issues. However I was finding that I could
keep with the other back markers and maybe even gain or pass especially on
tarmac. However I would loose bags of time whenever I fluffed a remount
(which I did often) or had to stop because I had a poor line into an
obstacle. I had another one of those "do we go down there?" moments on a
part of the course that I had somehow missed in my practice. A small set of
concrete stairs, at the side a concrete slope with rocks in to make it look
nice. Luckly there was a marshall there who assured me that _was_ the route
and that I should just go straight down the rocks no-brakes, just as well
otherwise I might have bottled it.

I think there were 3 of us competing for the Lanterne Rouge in lap 1 but I
felt I was techically the weakest. I happily stayed at the back as we
finished lap 1 (I was quite chuffed at surviving a lap).

Into lap 2, all the same obstacles but with a bit of tiedness too. I felt I
was getting happier letting the bike cruise round the curves, no constant
covering the brakes. Then up the incline to the top of the steps.
I'm not sure what happened, I think I probably didn't control my speed
enough on the side track, which meant that when I had to go over the treads
themselves the bike was bouncing all over the place. At this point I
probably should have gone sans-brakes and just ridden it out but I tried in
vain to control the bike with gentle (as I thought) braking. Next thing I
knew I had crashed out, bashed my right side and lay winded for a bit, I
didn't feel like getting up for a good while and decided that for me the
race was over. I would have liked to have finished and sort of regretted
pulling out as I watched the real finishers. Much respect to anyone who
completes a cyclocross at their first attempt, also to the youths who did
the same course and AFAIK none had a problem with my Nemesis steps . I'll
try again next year but I need to do some off-road practice especially those
descents.
The Dawes Horizon seemed okay, longer and heavier than a cross bike and
awkward to carry, like a mountain bike. However it doesn't have MTB
benefits, like suspension, disk brakes etc. I think that overall I probably
didn't benefit much from clipless pedals either as it just added to the time
I lost whenever I stopped and restarted, flat pedals may have been better
for me at my level. I guess the more competant riders would need to unclip a
lot less than I did.
Crashing out of the race got me back quicker to my other reason for being
there which was videoing.
I went back to those steps with the camera, partly to get evidence of the
beast that had dumped me out. It was amazing to see how trivial this
obstacle looked when it's not being viewed over a pair of white knuckles. I
videoed a few riders coming down, some came pelting down, only braking in
the last second on the flat before the bridge, others took it more
cautiously. Neither the suspension equipped MTBers nor the crossers seemed
troubled by it at all.
I watched the finish from the other side of the tape, it was won by an
Aussie (Olympian) who sealed his win with a magnificent crowd-pleasing
wheelie over the finish line. Second placed was riding an MTB so I'm not
sure which type of bike had the upper hand.

After the open event it was the primary kids and although their course was
shorter and easier I reckon a fair number would've probably kicked my butt
on the main course given a chance. 'Good to see a big turnout in the
children and youth event.

Cheers
Jim J

(1) or as near a run as I could manage with a bike built for carrying rather
than being carried.

Jim wrote:

> After a load of swithering I decided that today would be my first
> cyclocross race.

Nice report, thanks. ;)

When you're going down steps, especially man-made ones which are often
sharp (ish) edged and steep, the best plan is to attack them. No
brakes, BIG NO NO for brakes, weight off the back of the saddle and
stretching arms out so little weight as possible is over the front
wheel, which should just skip over the edges. Keep knees bent and
allow your legs to be the suspension so the rear wheel can move about
pretty freely. Line is also pretty important, as square to the edges
as possible is best, if you go diagonally you're likely to end up a
cropper. Don't brake ..

Don't try to pedal either until you're off the steps and can power
away. Don't brake ..

Don't grip the bars too much either, it's likely the front wheel will
want to move a little and it's better not to fight it, just 'go with
the flow' ... which is hard to do if you're not 'flowing' too ... ;)

Oh, don't brake .. ;)

Have fun .... ;)

--
Paul - ***

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'

in message <[email protected]>, Jim ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> After a load of swithering I decided that today would be my first
> cyclocross race. I've been helping setup a youth cycle club and watching
> (and occasionally trying) the exercises made me wonder about trying
> cyclocross. My first attempt at going off-road was a bit of a shocker, I
> was amazed at what passed for a cycle trail in the eyes of the MTBers
> (I'm a cycle commuter/ non-competitive road-rider) but surprised too at
> what my budget tourer could do despite the mudguards and semi-slicks.
> After picking myself up a few times, muddy, sore and wondering where the
> others were (it was a night ride too!) I put the cyclocross idea on hold
> for a bit.

Excellent report, congratulations...

> However I would loose bags of time whenever
> I fluffed a remount (which I did often) or had to stop because I had a
> poor line into an obstacle.

Like you I lost more time on remounts than I could afford. I think the
lesson for anyone who intends to actually /compete/ (rather than
just /ride/) in a CX event is practice and practice and practice the
dismount-run-remount manoeuvre.

> Into lap 2, all the same obstacles but with a bit of tiedness too. I felt
> I was getting happier letting the bike cruise round the curves, no
> constant covering the brakes. Then up the incline to the top of the
> steps. I'm not sure what happened, I think I probably didn't control my
> speed enough on the side track, which meant that when I had to go over
> the treads themselves the bike was bouncing all over the place. At this
> point I probably should have gone sans-brakes and just ridden it out but
> I tried in vain to control the bike with gentle (as I thought) braking.

Your stairs were your equivalent of the dreadful mudshoot through the gate
on our course: very steep, very uneven, and lots of nasty things to hit if
you fall off. There are fundamentally two ways of coping with this

(i) get off and run it - in which case you will lose bags of time
(ii) keep entirely off the brakes, keep your weight out of the saddle and
rather back on the bike, and do not grip the bars.

The thing is that even if your braking is gentle and steady, the traction
of the surface over which you're riding isn't. Add to that with rim brakes
on filthy rims your braking won't be steady in the first place. And
finally a slope which means any sudden arrest is going to pitch you over
the bars... If you're going to ride these things on a no-suspension bike,
don't brake.

Note of course that this is NOT the voice of expertise speaking - I'm just
as (in)experienced as you. I was exceedingly glad each time I came down
that section to find myself somehow still in the saddle at the bottom!

But congratulations for having a go - I hope you enjoyed it as much as I
did mine!

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't grip the bars too much either, it's likely the front wheel will
> want to move a little and it's better not to fight it, just 'go with
> the flow' ... which is hard to do if you're not 'flowing' too ... ;)

Parts of me _were_ flowing, almost !
So that's a negatory on the brakes then?
I also realise now that my weight was in the wrong place, I should have had
it more towards a comfy chair back with the spectators ;-)
Seriously I'll definitely have another go but not this year.

Thanks Paul for the help/supporting comments, I half expected a kicking on
urc for being a woose.

Jim J

> Your stairs were your equivalent of the dreadful mudshoot through the gate
> on our course: very steep, very uneven, and lots of nasty things to hit if
> you fall off. There are fundamentally two ways of coping with this

Simon I re-read your report the night before to help give me a bit of
confidence, and I remember thinking "at least there's no mudshoot or flooded
fields" the stairs to be fair didn't look bad (on the video) and certainly
nothing like your description of the shoot.

> If you're going to ride these things on a no-suspension bike,
> don't brake.

I suppose the next thing to consider is how best to switch off the automatic
reaction to brake when approaching panic mode.

> But congratulations for having a go - I hope you enjoyed it as much as I
> did mine!

Yep there were definitely parts where I had a smile on my face, usually
after some awkward bit that I had just managed or during the nice curves
through trees.
Cheers
Jim J

Jim wrote:

> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Don't grip the bars too much either, it's likely the front wheel
> > will want to move a little and it's better not to fight it, just
> > 'go with the flow' ... which is hard to do if you're not 'flowing'
> > too ... ;)

> Parts of me were flowing, almost !
> So that's a negatory on the brakes then?
> I also realise now that my weight was in the wrong place, I should
> have had it more towards a comfy chair back with the spectators ;-)
> Seriously I'll definitely have another go but not this year.
>
> Thanks Paul for the help/supporting comments, I half expected a
> kicking on urc for being a woose.

Heheh, I don't know anyone with the balls to to take on someone with
the balls to a) compete in his first cyclo-cross and b) Report on it,
warts and all.

Big respect. ;)

--
Paul - ***

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'

Much respect Jim.. Those steps are challenging.

I should point out that most of the local riders have practiced the
course for weeks ;-)
I'm an overweight poor excuse for an MTB rider and I struggle on the
uphill, the steps are nervewracking as they are uneven in both height
and width, and follow a gentle curve, and uneven gradient. I have
managed to ride up the singletrack a few times but recently just lose
traction before the rock about 2/3 way up.

You must have seen me there - I arrived just before the finish and got
some pics in the finish area during the last couple of laps.

my pics are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603300545275/
for the senior race and http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603306602811/

(Yes it was my wee lad who came off on the first lap and retired)

It was a great event. All credit to Martin the organiser. For those
who despair about the youth getting into cycling, there were 44 youth
and sprogs racing.
And a good proportion of them were girls too.

...d

Oh yes, I've not had the bottle to ride down by the concrete steps
yet.. just never quite felt the need..

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You must have seen me there - I arrived just before the finish and got
> some pics in the finish area during the last couple of laps.

Yes, I was the guy standing behind you at the finish, I was doing my best
not to look like a "DNF" and had my trackies and coat on by then.
You showed me the wheelie picture on your camera.
I'll email you a link to some photos one of our Dad's took of the youths
event which you missed.

> my pics are at
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603300545275/
> for the senior race and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603306602811/

Good piccies, much appreciated.

> (Yes it was my wee lad who came off on the first lap and retired)

Yes I saw him and thought "know how you feel mate!"
Cheers
Jim Jackson

On Nov 27, 8:02 pm, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:e55a3d72-e4f0-487f-b969-6c642c2a5b7c@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com...> You must have seen me there - I arrived just before the finish and got
> > some pics in the finish area during the last couple of laps.

> Yes, I was the guy standing behind you at the finish, I was doing my best
> not to look like a "DNF" and had my trackies and coat on by then.
> You showed me the wheelie picture on your camera.

I remember you now.You did a really good job of not looking like a
racer by then ;-)

> I'll email you a link to some photos one of our Dad's took of the youths
> event which you missed.

That would be much appreciated. We (Discovery) had a record turn out
with 18 riders taking part.Very pleased with the event.

> > my pics are at
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603300545275/
> > for the senior race and
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/sets/72157603306602811/

> Good piccies, much appreciated.
>
> > (Yes it was my wee lad who came off on the first lap and retired)

> Yes I saw him and thought "know how you feel mate!"

He had cheered up by the time he got home and warmed up. All my kids
were dead chuffed with their medals. They'll definitely do another
one.

...d