Head's up, Pacific Coast/Vancouver!

Lizbids

Dec 13, 2006
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, as I want to do the Pacific coast route on ACA's routes...so, if there is anyone out there who's done the route, are there any tips you can give a newbie to touring? I plan on following ACA's maps...

Lizbids said:
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, as I want to do the Pacific coast route on ACA's routes...so, if there is anyone out there who's done the route, are there any tips you can give a newbie to touring? I plan on following ACA's maps...

I predict it will rain and that you will have a life changing experience.

Its a great trip, have done all of it a few times and some of it many many times. Do you have any specific questions? :confused:

Lizbids said:
Hey, I'm planning on doing the same thing this summer from Vancouver to San Diego. What kind of bike do you have? I just bought a Cannondale R500 road bike yesterday. I decided agaisnt a touring bike because I want to do triathalons when I get back, and so thought it would be wiser to spend the money on a bike I will get more use of in the future. Are panniers maybe too heavy for the road bike, should one use a bob trailer instead? ANy suggestions???

Keep in touch, perhaps I'll see you on the road!

Heather

Hi Heather,
I think a trailer might work better, as your wheels may not be built for lots of weight? I'm new to all of these, so who knows!

I just bought a Bianchi Volpe...true, it doesn't race well, but I'm looking for durability. So when are you doing your tour? Tell me some details...where are you from?

Lizbids said:
Hi Heather,
I think a trailer might work better, as your wheels may not be built for lots of weight? I'm new to all of these, so who knows!

I just bought a Bianchi Volpe...true, it doesn't race well, but I'm looking for durability. So when are you doing your tour? Tell me some details...where are you from?
When do you plan on doing your ride? I may be heading in that direction next week or so. Maybe we could link up?

:) Not going till very late June...but post your experience online; it would be fun to read!

Check out James and Rebecca's Pacific Coast Bike Trip They went all the way to Mexico. :cool: They did use a trailer though you may want to make sure you do not have the same experiance they did.:eek: He started out towing the trailer with a race bike, destroyed the frame and then continued with a surly touring bike.

Hahaha...that's a great read....makes me feel great because I'll be hauling a trailer with a racing bike too :) Instead of the single wheel Bob, i'm using the two-wheeled Burley Nomad and it hasn't even been close to jack-knifing on me even on descents, but it still makes me weary. I guess that means I'll make sure i've got some fresh brake pads.

Anybody have tips for keeping the feet dry? Any advice on what kind of booties to get or just suck it up?

Hey, I'm in the decision process of getting the trailer or not. SOunds like you're leaving shortly, would you mind letting me know how the trailer works for you?? I'm not leaving until late June, early July.

Thanks and Happy Adventuring!!!

AlvChen said:
Hahaha...that's a great read....makes me feel great because I'll be hauling a trailer with a racing bike too :) Instead of the single wheel Bob, i'm using the two-wheeled Burley Nomad and it hasn't even been close to jack-knifing on me even on descents, but it still makes me weary. I guess that means I'll make sure i've got some fresh brake pads.

Anybody have tips for keeping the feet dry? Any advice on what kind of booties to get or just suck it up?

Well I've taken the loaded trailer out on occassion and it has performed beyond all of my expectations. It tracks well and it definitely feels like i'm pulling much less weight than I put into the trailer. Most of the time I didn't even notice I was pulling a trailer. I would notice it if I would get out of the saddle and rock the bike from side to side, because the movement in the yaw direction isn't that much. Supposedly you can set the bike on its side with the trailer attached, but I don't know if that's not true or I'm doing something wrong.

There are many sites that are offering free shipping on all their Burley trailers and i'm not sure how long that'll last, but it makes for a helluva deal.

I'll let y'all know how it works out when I get back.