Help needed for charity cycle in Europe!

TartanCycle

Jun 1, 2014
Hello everyone!

I am organising a charity cycle to take place next September called - as I'm sure you can guess by my username - the Tartan Cycle. A small group of us will begin the journey in Glasgow, making our way south through England, France, Spain and Portugal; eventually finishing roughly 1800 miles and a month later near Faro in the Algarve. The cycle will be in aid of the Tartan Army Children's Charity; although anyone wishing to join us can donate 50% of their sponsorship to a charity of their choice, if they wish.

The reason I am here is because we: a) could use some advice on routes through Europe (and England for that matter), b) need some suggestions for the best bikes/equipment to invest in and c) would appreciate expert advice from the people who know best about bikes - you guys!

Firstly, the route. There will be at least five of us on bikes (with a support vehicle in tow) and my priority over anything else is safety. If we add extra miles on to avoid busy roads, that's fine, we have scope for that (travelling only 60 miles per day based on rough estimates). My reckoning is to keep close to the west coast in England and take the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry over to France. Again keeping to the west coast down past Bordeaux, over to San Sebastian in Spain, Burgos, Salamanca, crossing the border with Portugal roughly at Badajoz and then down to Faro. Has anybody ever cycled this part of the world and can offer advice? Are there cyclist-friendly maps out there to aid my planning? At the minute it's just a sketch on Google maps!
Also, what advice can you offer for cycling on foreign roads?

Now, to bikes. Something durable and reliable, of course, but not break-the-bank. £500 maximum, perhaps? Complete bike novice here; I've done plenty of cycling but know nothing about the things, bar basic repairs! What should I be looking for and what should I avoid? Equipment-wise, what essentials should we be investing in? On the bikes we'll be travelling quite light, we'll always be an hour at most away from the support vehicle so our gear will be stored there. We'll also be camping wherever possible along the way so any favourite spots would be gratefully received! If we can't get a campsite then a bunkhouse, youth hostel etc will suffice; we'll be watching the pennies!

Finally, if anyone would like to join us on any part of the route please feel free to do so, it would be a pleasure to have company! As long as you aren't camera shy; we'll be keeping a video diary and will more than likely have our mugs on the telly! We will also have an online presence set up soon so you can keep tabs on our progress.

If you've read this far, thank you for your time! Any help or advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Martin
The Tartan Cycle

There is an organization called "EuroVelo" which has some cycling routes connecting Europe.

There are some which are "Realized", as in complete with signs etc and some which are just "planned", but these too are supposed to be checked for having frequent places for stops etc.

Their website is:

http://www.eurovelo.org/

and they also make this map: (the latest version is available in the EuroVelo website)

martin martin here aka harryhole67 i stay in glasgow and generally cycle up to Glasgow Green or west down the canal towards Bowling then on to Ballach, Luss. Inverbeg and occassionally Arrocher using the River Leven and the West Loch Lommand cycle path. I was planning a trip from Rotterdam to Copenhagen, oslo and Stockholm but have changed my mind and am now doing the south Island in NewZealand Feb/march 2015 but when planning my Scandanavian jolly i came across a website called bikemap.net and if there is any cycle paths on your route it will find them. although there maps could be a little bit more informative, but for NewZealand i got a lonley planet guide and have used as a route planner and have been able to work out a route as well as distances my route looks to be 1,110miles and i only have 16 days to do it in. I also went on to youtube and looked up cycling videos of the south island but they were not very informative but maybe there is more on your route.

Enjoy your cycle harrtyhole67