How long is a inguinal hernia surgery?

daniellestvn

Aug 21, 2012
Hello friends, I am having an inguinal hernia. As days pass on it is getting worse. I am extremely scared about the surgery. Can anyone here tell me how long it will take? Will there be any after effects? One of my friends had this surgery one year ago, and he had swelling and pain. Is that normal? Also suggest me a good hospital in Canada to do it.

daniellestvn said:
Hello friends, I am having an inguinal hernia. As days pass on it is getting worse.  I am extremely scared about the surgery. Can anyone here tell me how long it will take? Will there be any after effects? One of my friends had this surgery one year ago, and he had swelling and pain. Is that normal? Also suggest me a good hospital in Canada to do it.
Have you seen a doctor yet?

I have had a couple of employees that had the surgery and recovery varies according to the individual. I can say you will have some down time with limited ability to lift along with other restrictions. At lot depends on age, condition etc.
That being said take the previous advise and see a physician. The one constant in all examples I am aware of was pain.

Hi Daniel,

The length of hernia surgery completely depends on the severity of your disease. In most cases it will take a maximum of one hour. Last month, my sister had an abdominal hernia surgery. We did it in Shouldice hospital in Ontario. She had a bilateral surgery and it took about 50min to complete. All those pain and swelling your friend had is just a part of healing process. No need to worry about it. It will gradually disappear on taking medicine properly.