How to adjust side-pull cantilever brakes?

I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
increased?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:48:51 -0700, oprah_chopra wrote:

> I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
> brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
> system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
> the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
> length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
> increased?

It would appear that you are not using cantilevers at all, but calipers.
What model brake are you using?

A good general place to start is here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes/

or here

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=21&imageField2.y=7

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:48:51 -0700, oprah_chopra wrote:
>
>> I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
>> brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
>> system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
>> the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
>> length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
>> increased?

> It would appear that you are not using cantilevers at all, but calipers.
> What model brake are you using?
>
> A good general place to start is here:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes/
>
> or here
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=21&imageField2.y=7

Or here

rec.bicycles.tech

JF

On Jul 23, 11:48 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
> brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
> system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
> the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
> length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
> increased?

Are these perhaps "V brakes"? They don't have a center bolt like you
mention, but they are in fact a form of cantilever brakes and their
cable comes in from the side, so they sort of match your description.

If this is the case, each individual brake arm has its own spring, and
the mounting bosses usually have three holes. By positioning the end
of the spring into an alternate hole, you can vary the tension.

By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
alone will improve centering.

On Jul 23, 9:27 pm, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:48 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I am a biking newbie but am having the hardest time adjusting my
> > brakes. I bought new brake pads, but can not get the front-brake
> > system to stop 'sticking'. When I apply the brakes, one pad sticks to
> > the wheel instead of springing back. I tried adjusting the cable
> > length and the center bolt to no avail. Can the spring back force be
> > increased?

> Are these perhaps "V brakes"? They don't have a center bolt like you
> mention, but they are in fact a form of cantilever brakes and their
> cable comes in from the side, so they sort of match your description.
>
> If this is the case, each individual brake arm has its own spring, and
> the mounting bosses usually have three holes. By positioning the end
> of the spring into an alternate hole, you can vary the tension.
>
> By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
> and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
> alone will improve centering.

This is a close picture to what I have:

http://www.bicyclebrakesindia.com/images/caliperbrakes1.gif

On Jul 23, 9:27 pm, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:

> By the way, when you're changing the pads, it's a good time to clean
> and lube your brakes' pivots, regardless of which type you have. That
> alone will improve centering.

My center bolt has two nuts. I am not sure whether both should be
tight or just one?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:54:30 -0700, Duke of Hazard wrote:

> This is a close picture to what I have:
>
> http://www.bicyclebrakesindia.com/images/caliperbrakes1.gif

Those are single-pivot sidepull *calipers*. Cantilevers are something
else entirely.

Take a screwdriver and put the blade right behind the nut on the center
bolt. Then tap the screwdriver with a hammer. See if that doesn't
re-center the brake arms.

While you're down there, it's a good idea to put a drop of oil on the
pivot as well.

-Luigi

--
Luigi de Guzman