HRM transmitor

allan42

Jul 25, 2006
G'day.
Having on going problem with my HRM chest transmitor belt drying out and stopping transmitting.This only occurs when the weather is warm and windy and the work load has dropped off.(no comments about not working hard enough please)Do others have this problem and if so have you found a way to resolve it?Have been using electro gel occasionly, its ok, but a bit exy and messy.

allan42 said:
G'day.
Having on going problem with my HRM chest transmitor belt drying out and stopping transmitting.This only occurs when the weather is warm and windy and the work load has dropped off.(no comments about not working hard enough please)Do others have this problem and if so have you found a way to resolve it?Have been using electro gel occasionly, its ok, but a bit exy and messy.
Carry a water bottle and squirt yourself when you feel it drying out.

n

nerdag said:
Carry a water bottle and squirt yourself when you feel it drying out.

n
I tried that-didnt work for me. On windy days sometimes mine wont work at all or only sporadically. The on another windy day it works fine all ride (except in trouble spots where it never, ever reads). This being a PT SL.

allan42 said:
G'day.
Having on going problem with my HRM chest transmitor belt drying out and stopping transmitting.This only occurs when the weather is warm and windy and the work load has dropped off.(no comments about not working hard enough please)Do others have this problem and if so have you found a way to resolve it?Have been using electro gel occasionally, its ok, but a bit exy and messy.

I couldn't get my Polar to work constantly until I started using conductive gel, do a search to find it or if you know someone in medicine they might have it.

Rich

Have you tried tightening your strap? - if you are drying out under the strap, then air must be circulating through there. A tighter strap will also create a higher likelihood of good electrical contact. I've got the older style with the stiff plastic band and I never have this trouble.

artemidorus said:
Have you tried tightening your strap? - if you are drying out under the strap, then air must be circulating through there. A tighter strap will also create a higher likelihood of good electrical contact. I've got the older style with the stiff plastic band and I never have this trouble.
Found I had to tighten my strap after a few months.

The cycling is amazing for the weight loss.

One problem I do get is interfarence from outside sorces. I work at an arifield (so that is a biggie sometimes), and right down the road is a Weigh Bridge (this is worse!). Have to plan my rides so I don't go past it if possible.

My transmitter issues went away after replacing the battery. Worth a try.

blaronn said:
My transmitter issues went away after replacing the battery. Worth a try.
I've found a bunch of problems with Polar's chest straps. As you say they can get flaky when the batteries get low.

I find that in cool weather when my skin cools down I can lose the signal. This usually occurs when cool wind hits my chest, so I have found situations where, for example, going north the signal is fine, going west into the wind I lose the signal. It's like clockwork; every turn you make you know whether or not you'll get a signal.

The standard strap is not all that flexible so it does not conform to my chest very well, which can cause loss of signal. This can suck for activities which have a lot of torso movement, like dodging rocks while trail running. For this reason I went to the Wearlink strap, which is more flexible and has replacable batteries.

To help the connection you can use KY jelly or even liquid dish soap.

allan42 said:
G'day.
Anything that is water based will do the trick. I use a gel used for ultrasound. It is similar to the electro gel you are using. I would not recommend soap as one person suggested. I am suprised that it is working at first and then stops after a while. Even if it is warm out, you are working hard and sweating. It should work. In fact in the beginning when I first used a HRM, I did not use a gel and would have to wait over 10 mins to develop a sweat so that it would begin to work.

I spit on the HRM strap before putting it on. Never dries out. Staying on top of the batteries is key, as is making sure the strap is snug enough.

paskyhawk said:
I couldn't get my Polar to work constantly until I started using conductive gel, do a search to find it or if you know someone in medicine they might have it.
Just use some KY Jelly. Don't tell me you don't have any at home... :eek:

alienator said:
I spit on the HRM strap before putting it on. Never dries out. Staying on top of the batteries is key, as is making sure the strap is snug enough.
Anything moist for the most part will work. I have done it as well but prefer the ultrasound gel.