Is a 2003 specialized Hardrock cro-mo a good starter bike

Madness

Dec 9, 2003
I am new when it comes to cycling. I am looking into buying a 03 specialized Hardrock cro-mo one of the main reason is because i am 6'6 and i need a large frame and the hardrock has a 23 inch frame and is priced under 300 it is what i want and rides good on street. From what i was told it is a great beginner bike. Also anyone who owns or who has owned this bike what are things I should try to upgrade on the bike? here is a link to the specs CLICK HERE any input would be great also any tips for a person new to cycling would also be appreciated..

Thanks -Madness:p

Originally posted by Madness
I am new when it comes to cycling. I am looking into buying a 03 specialized Hardrock cro-mo one of the main reason is because i am 6'6 and i need a large frame and the hardrock has a 23 inch frame and is priced under 300 it is what i want and rides good on street. From what i was told it is a great beginner bike. Also anyone who owns or who has owned this bike what are things I should try to upgrade on the bike? here is a link to the specs CLICK HERE any input would be great also any tips for a person new to cycling would also be appreciated..

Thanks -Madness:p

Seems nice. Never seen a rider your height, but that bikes seems like a pretty good size up and the specs are pretty good for a beginning bike.

many, many, many, many years ago- a hardrock was my first mountain bike. fully ridgid. i beat the **** out of it and it always held together. i think it's a great choice. i don't know what your budget is, but make sure to get the best frame you can with your money. thats the foundation...

Originally posted by trekrider4315
Seems nice. Never seen a rider your height, but that bikes seems like a pretty good size up and the specs are pretty good for a beginning bike.
Yes i am a tall lanky guy so that was my main problem most companies don't even make over 21 inch frames from what i have seen i know gian makes a 23 also but the price is about 150 more

Yes i am a tall lanky guy so that was my main problem most companies don't even make over 21 inch frames from what i have seen i know gian makes a 23 also but the price is about 150 more
Having a company make a bigger frame costs more, but not a ton. If I were you I'd go for the one that doesnt cost more...just my thought tho.But if the one that costs more is better, then I'd say think about it a little.
Good luck.

Originally posted by trekrider4315
Having a company make a bigger frame costs more, but not a ton. If I were you I'd go for the one that doesnt cost more...just my thought tho.But if the one that costs more is better, then I'd say think about it a little.
Good luck.
I did test rides today the one that cost less rides better so i think i am sold on the spec hardrock thanks for your input it helped me alot...

I did test rides today the one that cost less rides better so i think i am sold on the spec hardrock thanks for your input it helped me alot...
No problem have fun on it and remember to ride it like you stole it.

Thanks for the quick replys. fasterTHANyou my budget is under 300..and is this a good frame?

Click Here

i'd say yes. like i said, i rode the **** out of mine back in the day. check around with some of your local dealers, see what the recomend... but yeah, i'd have no problems with that specialized at all

ok... i need to pay attention to posts- haha. :D congrats on the new bike, be sure to keep us posted with riding stories... and yea- haha- ride it like you stole it;)

Thanks for all the replies :) I went for another longer test ride on my lunch break today and i realized that i would need a nice gel seat asap and the lady at the bike shop ran into the back and pulled a damn nice one out and said it has one stitch missing and was returned she has already had it replaced and she said i could have it for free. Now i can't wait to pick up my bike at the store only 100 more and she comes home with me :)