Lesson in Camoflage (sp?)

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

| Spelling corrections most welcome.

I think it's camouflage.

| Driving my dad to the airport early this morning I learned (fortunately to noone's expense) that
| when a well lit cyclist is travelling at 90 degrees to me as I approch a roundabout, the lights
| can be seemingly invisible, and the reflective scotchlite worn by the cyclist can blend in with
| the black and white chevrons behind him/her.

I've noticed this too, and so I got a Basta front light since it shines out sideways a bit, whereas
none other I could see did.

A variation I'd like to try is to have a small window in the top/back of the front light such that
my face is illuminated from below. I daresay it would look a tad ghoulish, but possibly effective
in terms of recognition time. Come to think of it didn't that Inventions program have something
like that?

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:22:11 +0000, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In a positive way, it has made me think about how visible I *really* am when cycling, as opposed to
>how visible I *think* I am.
>
>Not sure what the outcome of this thinking will be, but it has none the less made me think.

Hi Rich

In the dark I always try to turn very slightly towards any car I see coming from the side to make
sure (ish) my front light can be seen. Similarly, I try to flick my front light into wing mirrors of
parked cars. Opening doors can be especially nasty, IMO.

Before anyone comments, I do not swerve erratically all over the place. I make sure I make my very
minor manoeuvres well before I come anywhere near the danger zone. Of course, should the drivers not
take heed ... well, stuff happens, but hopefully not too often.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.