Looking for new 700x25 tire,,,, help!

J5311

Jul 22, 2007
I ride a trek pilot 2.1 and I've been riding on bontrager race lights. these are nice tired but I get plats waaaayyy too often. I did research and found that they only have a tpi of 60. Now i'm looking for new tires.

continental 4 season tires have a tpi of 430
and Conti. 4000s has 330
and the conti. gator skins have 170.....

I'm looking for the best 700x25 tire and i've come up with these 3. Now I dont ride in the rain or when its cold out and i dont put many miles on the bike. Being a bigger guy should i go with the 4 seasons?

I wouldn't use anything other than the GP4000S, with the exception of the Attack/Force combo also from Continental.

You're a bigger guy? How big? When I got back on the bike a few years ago after a decade drinking beer and eating bbq and was almost 230lbs, I used the Conti Attack/Force and they were great. The 25mm 4000S should be just as good. The Chili compound is ace and I've only had one puncture in 3 sets of tires - and that's with plenty of riding though random country roads with somewhat suspect road surfaces.

I'm a whopping 272. But since I started exercising I've lost 20#s and still loosing.

There are flats and there are flats. What kind is yours? snakebite AKA pinch flats? or road debris poking holes? For the first, a bigger air chamber/higher pressure will help, for the second there are puncture protected tires liners etc available. A wider tire run at lower pressure will also be more resistant to penetration punctures.

I really like the GP4000 All Seasons. I have one on my rear right now - wears very well.

It's a bit pricey, but should last a long time.

Try gator skins - there are several different models. I think the "Ultra" is the heaviest duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I wouldn't use anything other than the GP4000S, with the exception of the Attack/Force combo also from Continental.

You're a bigger guy? How big? When I got back on the bike a few years ago after a decade drinking beer and eating bbq and was almost 230lbs, I used the Conti Attack/Force and they were great. The 25mm 4000S should be just as good. The Chili compound is ace and I've only had one puncture in 3 sets of tires - and that's with plenty of riding though random country roads with somewhat suspect road surfaces.

+1 ... also Maxxix ReFuse, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, Schwalbe Durano, Schwalbe Durano Plus are definitely worth considering :)