Millar offered spot in Amore e Vita

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
What do you guys think of this?

www.cyclingnews.com
David Millar has been offered a ride in Ivano Fanini's Amore e Vita team, according to a Reuters report. Millar was recently outed in France for taking EPO at various times during his career, including just before he won the World Time Trial Championship in 2003. He is likely to have his title stripped and will almost certainly be sanctioned by the British Cycling Federation and the UCI.
"I'm willing to help Millar - and the Amore e Vita-Beretta team is ready to take him on - just as I did with Spanish rider Jesus Manzano earlier this year when he confessed to a Spanish newspaper," team manager Ivano Fanini was quoted as saying in a statement.

Ivano Fanini's team is about the only professional setup where one can say that the entire team is clean.
He has offered refuge to Manzano as well in the past.
They're a good little outfit - Amore.
OK they're not USPS but Millar could don the sackcloth and ashes to rebuild
his credibility.

limerickman said:
Ivano Fanini's team is about the only professional setup where one can say that the entire team is clean.
He has offered refuge to Manzano as well in the past.
They're a good little outfit - Amore.
OK they're not USPS but Millar could don the sackcloth and ashes to rebuild
his credibility.

Limerickman is absolutely right. It is probably Millar's best chance to get back into the sport. A year or two wtih Amore e Vita, who have made a big deal out of helping doped riders get back into the mainstream. A decent Giro, and he will be forgiven and have the big boys offering him contracts again.

Hope he accepts and gets back to riding.

Powerful Pete said:
Limerickman is absolutely right. It is probably Millar's best chance to get back into the sport. A year or two wtih Amore e Vita, who have made a big deal out of helping doped riders get back into the mainstream. A decent Giro, and he will be forgiven and have the big boys offering him contracts again.

Hope he accepts and gets back to riding.

Pete,
I'm not as close to Italian cycling as I'd like to be but as you're a resident of
Roma (and I am extremely envious of this fact alone),
am I right in saying that A&V are a very respectable team,
resultwise in Italy ?

limerickman said:
Pete,
I'm not as close to Italian cycling as I'd like to be but as you're a resident of
Roma (and I am extremely envious of this fact alone),
am I right in saying that A&V are a very respectable team,
resultwise in Italy ?

Amore & Vita should be called the Opus Dei team. They've made some interesting and well-publicized aquistions that garner them a lot of headlines but their real agenda has little to do with race results.

The riders will languish in the land of the non-Pro Tour.

DiabloScott said:
Amore & Vita should be called the Opus Dei team. They've made some interesting and well-publicized aquistions that garner them a lot of headlines but their real agenda has little to do with race results.

Yeah, I was aware that they were on the rightwing side of the Catholic Church (and I am Roman Catholic).

The point about the pro-tour is very astute too.

DiabloScott said:

I wonder what their real agenda is. Is it to show that they are rescuing the high profile downtrodden of the world?

gntlmn said:
I wonder what their real agenda is. Is it to show that they are rescuing the high profile downtrodden of the world?

There is abit of that to their setup alright from what I have read about them.
The RCC preach that your body is your temple for the soul and not to
mistreat it with drugs/alcohol etc.
The Pope himself is a Patron of the team.

DiabloScott said:

Pro Tour sucks......but that's a whole other debate.