Mosel River - Have you riden from Koblenz to Trier ?

TacMan

Aug 18, 2003
Hi, I'm planning to cycle along the Mosel river from Koblenz to Tier in mid- september. Could use a little help. Any idea regarding what the terain is like (hills, flat, etc.) ? Any suggestions regarding great places to stop along the way (either a can't miss attraction or a can't miss place to stop for a couple cold biers) ?

Also, looking for any advice regarding where I can rent a good race bike in Frankfurt. Is there a bike shop in Frankfurt that rents good race bikes ? Really appreciate any suggestions.

Originally posted by TacMan
Hi, I'm planning to cycle along the Mosel river from Koblenz to Tier in mid- september. Could use a little help. Any idea regarding what the terain is like (hills, flat, etc.) ? Any suggestions regarding great places to stop along the way (either a can't miss attraction or a can't miss place to stop for a couple cold biers) ?

Also, looking for any advice regarding where I can rent a good race bike in Frankfurt. Is there a bike shop in Frankfurt that rents good race bikes ? Really appreciate any suggestions.

Never ridden it with a bike but have done it with car, me fathers car while we were on vacation in Trier and Koblenz as kids, from what i remember its hilly.
Thta is wine country with steep banks along the River Mosel and lots of shoal.I would have to say its hilly.

Hi tacman,
By the time you see this you will be back from the ride. I just did the Rhine and the Mosel this summer. I hope you enjoyed the Mosel as much as I did. www.todmoore.net

Hi all, Just revisited this post and realize I omitted to say that the route along the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier is absolutely flat. The bike route (guide book available from Bikeline) runs right along the river with lots of great vistas, towns to visit, river boats to hitch a ride on and castles to visit. I rode it upstream and went on to pass through Luxembourg before continuing on to the North Sea. If you're just doing the Mosel however I would recommend going the other way, from Trier to the Rhein because I had a persistent head wind being funneled down the Mosel Valley. Planning to do it again next year with my brother. We will probably fly in to Luxembourg, pedal down to the Mosel along the Alzette, and roll down to the Rhein. There is a great bike shop in Luxembourg Ville by the way, that I have dealt with for almost 40 years; Konz Cycles, right on the main street.
If you have the time or the inclination you might think about riding the Rhein starting at the headwaters in Andermatt in Switzerland. The first day is a little steep but the scenery is amazing. www.todmoore.net

Howdy,
some advice as I am a Scot living 10 mins from Trier. Advice from "Greyfox" is sound. Wind generally is west to east. Ride is flat and you will have no shortages of stops along either side of the Mosel to enjoy and rehydrate with 1st class beers. Recommend Bernkastel Kues, Traben Tarbach. Cochem is very busy in summer but can be fun nonetheless. Trier is a very nice town so either a top starting/finishing point. Not sure re Frankfurt but bike hire in Trier (velopoint-trier.de). There is also an excellant diversion just outside Trier. It is a disused railway track now cycle way from Ruwer ( 2km east Trier) to Hermeskiel. About 80km round trip but easy cycling. Hermeskiel has an interesting aviation museum outdoors and there are plenty of cafes and bars enroute to enjoy.