Mr Fit vs Mr Fat

Nick Kew

Guest
Looking to buy a new bike. In the absence of adequate storage
space, that'll be just one bike. So it'll want to serve both
for reasonably fast on-road, carrying of modest loads (not
necessarily full touring or supermarket load), and hacking
across the moors on the rough. Should have mudguard and
rear rack. Oh, and drop handlebars preferred.

From past experience, a tourer offers the best compromise
between all those needs. Discussing this in the LBS, they
had a couple of contrasting candidates in stock, which I
took out for a test spin: one classic tourer[1], and a
sportier little number classified as "cyclocross"[2].

I first tried the cyclocross. An aluminium frame with
carbon forks, and rather short wheelbase. Impressively
light to the touch, it was indeed a lively ride. I found
its 34/25 bottom gear hard work on a stretch of uphill that
is by no means the hardest in the area, and it became a
bit of a boneshaker at speed - on a properly made road
not noted for roughness! Comfortable on the drops or
the hoods, but the bars seemed to dig into my hands when
in the upright position. And I could feel it telling me
"you fat slob, how dare you presume to ride "me"?
Get into shape NOW!"

The comparison with the tourer was chalk and cheese. It was
a Reynolds 725 frame and a longer wheelbase than the other.
It was also significantly heavier than the other, though that
was in significant part due to the fact that it has all the
accessories as standard. On the same uphill, I had no need
of the bottom gears, yet remained within the comfort zone.
The ride on top was a little smoother, shaking the bones a
lot less. But going offroad on the grass was harder than
I'm accustomed to. The positions were different too: down
on the drops was less comfy than the other, but the upright
position was better. One difficulty was the brakes, as I
had to make a conscious effort to stretch the hands out
far enough to grab the levers. But the message it whispered
was one of comfort: "don't worry, I'll always give you an
easy life. Have another cream cake".

That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
for other options.

Hmmm ....

[1] http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?seriesID=41&show_bike=TRUE
[2] http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=34&show_bike=TRUE

--
not me guv

> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
> for other options.

Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.
Should have plenty of room for mud tyres, fenders and pannier racks
whilst maintaining the characteristics of a road pedigree. Would go
well with a LeVeL bolt-on sprocket and 135mm spacer kit IMHO.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...r_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131&MMN_position=95:95
http://www.hubjub.co.uk/level/level.htm

Regards,

Duncan.

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
for other options.

Go for the tourer, you'll ride it more frequently than the more challenging
alternative.

in message <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
('[email protected]') wrote:

> That leaves me a harder choice than before.  A bike to challenge
> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
> or one to comfort me in flabby decline?  Or look further afield
> for other options.

If you're looking at that Genesis, look also at a Specialized Tricross (if
you can find a dealer locally); it's a very nicely sorted out bike. I'd be
inclined to go for the slightly sportier bike, if I were you, but not if
you won't be comfortable on it.

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

in message <[email protected]>, Duncan
Smith ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
>> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
>> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
>> for other options.
>>

> Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.
> Should have plenty of room for mud tyres, fenders and pannier racks
> whilst maintaining the characteristics of a road pedigree. Would go
> well with a LeVeL bolt-on sprocket and 135mm spacer kit IMHO.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...r_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131&MMN_position=95:95
> http://www.hubjub.co.uk/level/level.htm

Single speed road bike, meet Devon hill...

No, not very probable.

Mind you, I suppose you could fit a Rohloff...
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...--for-22.2mm-diameter-gear-controls-11348.htm

'graveyards are full of indispensable people'

Nick Kew said the following on 26/03/2007 22:19:
> But the message it whispered
> was one of comfort: "don't worry, I'll always give you an
> easy life. Have another cream cake".

So why do you think there's a choice? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Nick Kew wrote on 26/03/2007 22:19 +0100:

> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
> for other options.

Go for the tourer - if you get the other one those little things you
noticed will keep ****ling at you and if you are going to ride, having a
comfortable bike you enjoy riding will do far more for getting you out
and fit than one that you find uncomfortable and challenging once the
flush of new ownership is over. YMMV.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Go for the Tourer, you will enjoy your cycling more and therefore do more
miles and therefore get fitter quicker!!

SW

Duncan Smith wrote:

>> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
>> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
>> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
>> for other options.
>>

> Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.

Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

On 27 Mar, 08:33, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
>
> >> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
> >> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
> >> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
> >> for other options.

> > Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.

> Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

Nope. Think Macho Italian road bike and apply irony with trowel...

Jim Higson wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
>
>>> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
>>> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
>>> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
>>> for other options.
>>>

>> Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.

> Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

no, and the models with english names aren't much better ;)

--
---
Marten

> > > Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.

> > Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

> Nope. Think Macho Italian road bike and apply irony with trowel...

Well I never...

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:33:23 +0100, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Duncan Smith wrote:
>

>>> That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
>>> me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
>>> or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
>>> for other options.
>>>

>> Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.

>Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

No.

HTH.

But I learn them by reading bike Pr0n.

Tim

In news:[email protected],
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> Duncan Smith ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Sounds like a job for an On One il Pompino if ever I heard one.
>> Should have plenty of room for mud tyres, fenders and pannier racks
>> whilst maintaining the characteristics of a road pedigree. Would go
>> well with a LeVeL bolt-on sprocket and 135mm spacer kit IMHO.
>>

> http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...r_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131&MMN_position=95:95
>> http://www.hubjub.co.uk/level/level.htm

> Single speed road bike, meet Devon hill...
>
> No, not very probable.

They /can/ be set up with disraeli gears coz I've seen one. Though I'm sure
I read elsewhere that they were discontinuing the 135 mm version...

--
Dave Larrington
Dead journalists make excellent objets d'art.

Dave Larrington wrote:

>> http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...r_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131&MMN_position=95:95
>>> http://www.hubjub.co.uk/level/level.htm

>> Single speed road bike, meet Devon hill...
>>
>> No, not very probable.

> They /can/ be set up with disraeli gears coz I've seen one. Though I'm sure
> I read elsewhere that they were discontinuing the 135 mm version...

[advertising]I still got a few[/advertising]
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:33:23 +0100
Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Erm... am I the only one here who knows a few rude words in Italian?

Having lived & worked several years in Italy ...

One fun thing about living abroad is constructive confusion with the
language. A little slipup with the nuances is bound to happen from
time to time.

Victor Borge (the great dane) did it beautifully with English:)

--
not me guv

Nick Kew wrote:

>Looking to buy a new bike.

>From past experience, a tourer offers the best compromise
>between [snipped] needs. Discussing this in the LBS, they
>had a couple of contrasting candidates in stock, which I
>took out for a test spin: one classic tourer[1], and a
>sportier little number classified as "cyclocross"[2].
>
>I first tried the cyclocross. An aluminium frame with
>carbon forks, and rather short wheelbase. Impressively
>light to the touch, it was indeed a lively ride. I found
>its 34/25 bottom gear hard work on a stretch of uphill that
>is by no means the hardest in the area, and it became a
>bit of a boneshaker at speed - on a properly made road
>not noted for roughness! Comfortable on the drops or
>the hoods, but the bars seemed to dig into my hands when
>in the upright position.

>The comparison with the tourer was chalk and cheese. It was
>a Reynolds 725 frame and a longer wheelbase than the other.
>It was also significantly heavier than the other, though that
>was in significant part due to the fact that it has all the
>accessories as standard.

>The positions were different too: down
>on the drops was less comfy than the other, but the upright
>position was better. One difficulty was the brakes, as I
>had to make a conscious effort to stretch the hands out
>far enough to grab the levers.

>That leaves me a harder choice than before. A bike to challenge
>me and force me to get fit (or leave it to languish unloved),
>or one to comfort me in flabby decline? Or look further afield
>for other options.
>
>Hmmm ....
>
>[1] http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?seriesID=41&show_bike=TRUE
>[2] http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=34&show_bike=TRUE

I think you really want the tourer.

I think you need to fine tune the position of the bars and brake
levers and get them adjusted for your reach. I was thinking that
interupter "cyclocross" levers so you can brake from the tops might be
a worthwhile addition but looking at the detailed specs of the tourer
I see it has them already.

Dave Larrington wrote on 27/03/2007 10:27 +0100:

> They /can/ be set up with disraeli gears coz I've seen one.

That would be a Strange Brew though. ;-)