Mr Impractical needs help adjusting gears

TiredLegs

Jul 2, 2004
I don't know why I am even attempting to adjust the gears myself as I am useless at anything practical (or should that be useless at practically anything?!)

I am boosted by the fact that I managed to fiddle with the front derailleur and make it go up and down all three cogs (woo-hoo!). Unfortunately, the rear mechanism hasn't been quite as successful. Sometimes the gears slip (especially if I am in low gear on the front cog) and generally gears are slow to respond.

Any help or advice in plain english would be much appreciated. I am supposed to be doing the 56 mile Liverpool - Chester bike ride this Sunday (4th July) and could do with having a half working bike to do it on!

Cheers
Stevie M

PS Don't ask me any techie details about the bike. All I can tell you is its a Carrera Vulcan 21 speed...if thats any help!

Originally posted by TiredLegs
I don't know why I am even attempting to adjust the gears myself as I am useless at anything practical (or should that be useless at practically anything?!)

I am boosted by the fact that I managed to fiddle with the front derailleur and make it go up and down all three cogs (woo-hoo!). Unfortunately, the rear mechanism hasn't been quite as successful. Sometimes the gears slip (especially if I am in low gear on the front cog) and generally gears are slow to respond.

Any help or advice in plain english would be much appreciated. I am supposed to be doing the 56 mile Liverpool - Chester bike ride this Sunday (4th July) and could do with having a half working bike to do it on!

Cheers
Stevie M

PS Don't ask me any techie details about the bike. All I can tell you is its a Carrera Vulcan 21 speed...if thats any help!

Well, the plain English part is up to you to translate from the colonist:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html>

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml>

It also could be a cable/housing issue:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html>

Originally posted by daveornee
Well, the plain English part is up to you to translate

Thanks a lot. I've just had a look over it and I think a simpler reply would have been, "Ste, just take it into the bike shop and let them do it, eh?" It's made me realise just how little I know about anything mechanical!

Actually, I will give it a quick try before I take it in. At least that way I can make them really work for their money in correcting the mess I make!!:D

Thanks again

unloosen the wire,let it drop to highest gear,screw the limiter screw in until it is inline with the highest gear cog,put shifter to highest gear,tighten wire,shift up to 1st and if it needs it just adjust the limiter screw.

Hey,

Adjusting a rear mech can be a swine, I can manage to service the wheel bearings and install headset etc, But yet i still cant get the rear mech working properly lol...I refuse to pay a bike shop, i just set the mech up to work perfectly through most of the rear cogs!!! :)

Cheers,

Dan

Have you done many miles on the chain? You may need a block and chain. They wear out as a unit, so you will need to the block (the cogs - called a cluster or casette depending on the kind of wheel you have) at the same time as the chain. Take it to a shop as although it isn't a difficult job, it requires a special tool.

Another thing to check is if the mech or hanger (bit of the frame the mech attaches to) is bent. Look at it from behind, and see if it is parralel to the frame. Again a fix will be a job for a bike shop.

Chris