Need help with pedals for single speed

bdh2991

Apr 20, 2013
Just got my first single speed about two weeks ago but the pedals and the cages that came on it are pretty crappy. I use the bike to commute so i was looking into getting some bmx pedals with straps instead of cages. I've seen a few people with them and since i already have a hard time getting my feet into the tiny cages that came with the bike, I figured the straps would be much easier. Any advice on a good set of pedals and straps to go with them? I'm trying to keep it under about $50 for everything if possible but not opposed to spending more. Thanks for the help.

Pedals?

Presuming that your Single Speed isn't a Fixie, then I suggest that you simply consider buying the type you tyically ride with ...

If you mean to say that this is your first post-HS bike, then check eBay for best prices & choose the BMX-type pedals that you are famiiar with ...

FWIW. I have WELLGO, LOOK, and SHIMANO pedals on my bikes ...

Wellgo makes the pedals for a lot of "private label" pedals ... if it is a "why pay more?" decision, then choose Wellgo ...

OR, possibly, just remove the "cages" & install "straps" on your existing pedals.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Pedals?

Presuming that your Single Speed isn't a Fixie, then I suggest that you simply consider buying the type you tyically ride with ...

If you mean to say that this is your first post-HS bike, then check eBay for best prices & choose the BMX-type pedals that you are famiiar with ...

FWIW. I have WELLGO, LOOK, and SHIMANO pedals on my bikes ...

Wellgo makes the pedals for a lot of "private label" pedals ... if it is a "why pay more?" decision, then choose Wellgo ...

OR, possibly, just remove the "cages" & install "straps" on your existing pedals.
Well i used to ride bmx a few years ago but i stopped riding altogether and then got this bike for commuting, so i don't really have a preference yet i suppose. I have a flip flop, so i started riding it with the freewheel but i'm going to switch it over to the fixed eventually. I'll definitely look into the wellgo's. And i would just put straps on the pedals that the bike came with but they are oddly shaped and don't look like they would work well with straps.

Not sure if you've found your pedals yet, but if you're still looking i can highly recomment the 1980's vintage Shimano Deore XT PD-M730 mountain bike pedals.

They come up frequently on ebay and i've picked up SIX pairs over the last year or so,.....usually for $35 to $55. I got my 1st pair on my brand new 1987 Schwinn Cimarron rigid MTB, and liked them so well i've acquired them for 5 of 15 of my other bikes.

Initially i used them with leather straps, but for my uses i found in really didn't need them. Even on my fixies and single speeds i run them without straps. They have a great grip, and even in the rain give a firm and secure grip!

I usually clean out the BB's and regrease just to "know" they were recently serviced and not wearing out the cones and races,.....but most were still running smooth when i got them.

Here's the one on my 1977 Schwinn Paramount converted to fixed gear, It has a wonderfull ride:

I'm not sure why my pics wouldn't load directly but here are direct links. Initially i used the "Img" link off my photobucket that works in other forums, but not here????

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Schwinn%201977%20Paramount/SchwinnParamountFixiesndCimarron020small-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Schwinn%201977%20Paramount/SchwinnParamount090small.jpg

Love the chromed Nervex lugs (and tips of the forks and chainstays)
Enjoy the eyecandy:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Schwinn%201977%20Paramount/SchwinnParamount096small.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Schwinn%201977%20Paramount/SchwinnParamount083small.jpg

try a set of metal PRIMO pedals, 25 bucks and a huge platform and they look great. You'll need to grease the bearings about once a year.

I just found a better pic of the circa 1987 Shimano Deore XT PD-M730 mtb pedals that i couldn't live without! I have 5 bikes wearing them,....and will always pick up a nice set on ebay if i can get them for under $50 or so,......less on a beat up but servicable pair for maybe $30 (Note: Click on the pic for a bigger view)
I run these in all weather with rubber boot style cleated soles on shoes or low top boots, and in over 25 years have not slipped anything serious. Just super comfortable and stable, with a wide 4's X 3" platform. Besides the outer removable cage (handy to allow easy access to clean and relube the bearings), there are also "pins" formed into the center area. While not replaceable,......i have not worn one out yet. Having several bikes to ride helps with that. BTW,.....some of you might have noticed that outer ring started out life as a Dura Ace 53T chainring, but looks a bit "used"! It came on a used DA crankset i bought and was worn out for running normally. I cut the tops off all the teeth, .....then rounded, smoothed, and brush-polished the remaining stubs. I could have taken it down to the step and basically removed any remnant of the old teeth, but that would make it look like most every other chainguard, a sort of "pseudo" double chainring look. I've made several of these up over the years,......"Re-Cycling" at it's best! :embarrassed: It does make a sharp looking chainguard to keep my pant leg out of the chain. I sill use a velcro strip with really baggy pants,....but for straight cut jeans there is no need. You can't beat the tight machining to the crank spider Shimano is known for, and i've found Dura Ace chainrings a tight fit on most every Dura Ace crank i've used. This one is on one of my 1982 Trek 720 touring frames, btw. (Note: Click on the pic for a bigger view)
.....and the inside view on another re-cycled DA chainring mounted on my 1977 Schwinn Paramount for use as a chainguard. This one is a comfort bike fixed/ss grocery getter build: (Note: Click on the pic for a bigger view)
(Note: Click on the pic for a bigger view)